Subject: RE: Config File Creation and assigning Filters

From: Yost William <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:08:04 -0500

What I do is put in some debug code into an operational cable modem that
will dump out SNMP packets it receives to a serial port (I have to modify
the operational code to add support for the serial port).  Then I use a MIB
Browser to send the desired packet that sets up all the filters I need.
Then I take the hexadecimal output of the SNMP packet from the cable modem
serial port and input that into the config file editor.  You can even write
a program to split apart the SNMP packet into individual vabind's.  That way
you know the varbinds you encode are real SNMP commands.

----------- William H. Yost, Thomson Consumer Electronics ------------ 
..     Home of RCA, GE, and Proscan (317) 587-4816 [email-masked]   .

-----Original Message-----
From: Jayabalan subramanian [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 5:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Config File Creation and assigning Filters 

Hello,

Does anyone know where to get hold of the source code for the Java based
MCNS Config File Editor. We intend to integrate it with the billing
front end. Is there any other way of creating a config file using a
standard template?

Secondly we are trying to assign filters to the individual cable modems
using the Config File itself. Using the Config File Editor to do this
seems cumbersome as the Config File Editor requires the values to be
input using hexadecimal codes. Is there a way to do this in straight
forward manner? Using SNMP management to do this has a problem.
Resetting the modem clears the filters.

Your valuable suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jayabalan