Subject: Re: IPCDN charter

From: "Mike St. Johns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:10:31 -0800

Draft Revised charter - 1 week turn around -   Revised after 
comments.  Removed the Euromodem bullet - we'll deal with that 
if/when.  Cleaned up language as suggested by Eric and Ran minus the 
davic/dvb stuff.

I do not expect any further major comments - expect wrath if you haven't 
been paying attention.

   Mike

IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)

Last Modified: 25-May-99

Chair:

Mike St. Johns <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):

Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:

Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: ftp://ftp.terayon.com/pub/ipcdn

Description of Working Group:

The IETF IPCDN Working Group develops and standardizes SNMP MIBs for 
IP-capable data-over-cable systems, for example cable modems and associated 
cable-data equipment in a Headend.  These MIBs cover not only cable data 
interfaces, but also management of cable-data equipment and systems.

The WG is also a forum for discussion of Internet-related issues in 
data-over-cable equipment and systems.  In the event of a particular new 
Internet technology issue arising in the cable-data context, the WG will 
identify whether that is best handled within the IETF or is best handled by 
another standards body.  In the event that new IETF work is identified, 
such items MAY be added that to the WG's charter, subject to normal IETF 
processes.

The IPCDN WG will also keep informed on what other groups in the industry 
are doing as it relates to the work of this working group.

Related groups:

The IEEE 802.14 WG was chartered to specify the physical layer and data 
link layer protocols for the CATV Data Network. The IEEE has discontinued 
the IEEE 802.14 effort, so that group no longer exists.

DOCSIS has completed its 1.0 versions of Data over Cable standards and is 
in the process of refining these standards to add additional functionality 
and to repair any flaws discovered in operational use. The IPCDN WG will 
update the documents produced which track the 1.0 versions 
accordingly.  These include the RF Interface MIB and the Cable Device 
MIB.  In addition, the operational and management issues of multicast over 
a Cable Data Network will be addressed.

Work items:

The IPCDN WG will address issues related to network management, especially 
as they concern HFC access networks. It is expected that other services 
(i.e.  RSVP, IPSEC, etc.) will operate mostly unmodified.

- a MIB for managing the Telephone Modem Return Path (Telco Return) for 
1-way cable modems. <draft-ietf-ipcdn-tri-mib-01.txt>

- a MIB for managing the Baseline Privacy system for DOCSIS. 
<draft-ietf-ipcdn-bpi-mib-01.txt>
	, <draft-ietf-ipcdn-bpiplus-mib-00.txt>

- a MIB for managing the Quality of Service parameters for a Cable Data 
Network. <draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-02.txt>

- a MIB for managing Multicast (IGMP) over a Cable Data Network. 
<draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-00.txt>

- a MIB for CMTS based customer management  - 
<draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-00.txt>

- Revisions to the Proposed Standard RF and CM MIBs to address SNMPv3 and 
IPv6 compliance and interoperability issues.

Goals and Milestones:

  Jan 2000 Post final I-D on Baseline Privacy MIB; Last call

  Feb 2000   Post I-Ds revising RF and CM MIBs to support DOCSIS1.1 and for 
compliance with SNMPv3 and IPv6

  Feb 2000   Submit Baseline Privacy MIB  to IESG for publication as a 
Standards Track RFC

  Mar 2000   Submit updated RF and CM MIBs to IESG with implementation 
statement  for advancement to Draft Standard

  Jun 2000   Working group concludes upon RFC acceptance.

Internet-Drafts:

See above.

Request For Comments:

Proposed Standard: RFC2669 - DOCSIS Cable Device MIB - Cable Device 
Management Information Base for
	DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems

Proposed Standard: RFC2670 - Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management 
Information Base for
	MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces