Subject: Re: IPCDN charter

From: "Mike St. Johns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 19:20:34 -0800

Draft Revised charter - 1 week turn around - speak quickly. The old one was 
rather out of date and I was holding this one until I knew whether we were 
going to be doing Euromodem as well.  I decided (after much pushing by the 
area director) to get off my tail and publish this as is.  Comments to the 
list please.  Mike

IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)

Last Modified: 25-May-99

Chair:

Mike St. Johns <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):

Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:

Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: ftp://ftp.terayon.com/pub/ipcdn

Description of Working Group:

The original goal of the IPCDN WG was to define how the Internet Protocol 
(IP) is to be supported on a Cable Television (CATV) Data Network. As work 
progressed, the production of documents related to specific technologies 
(e.g. IP over DOCSIS) shifted to the groups defining those technologies 
(e.g., the Data over Cable Service Interface Specifications; DOCSIS; 
www.cablelabs.com), and by other standards bodies (e.g. IEEE 802.14 - now 
decertified).

The focus of this WG is on documents needed to manage and deploy a system 
of IP aware cable modems and cable modem head-end equipment (i.e., MIBs), 
referencing documents issued by other groups as appropriate.

This WG will also serve as a forum for discussion of related cable modem 
issues, with the goal of identifying which group (both IETF and non-IETF) 
should pick up the work item. In the even that protocol work is identified 
that needs to be done within this WG, the WG will be rechartered as 
appropriate.

The IPCDN WG will also keep informed on what other groups in the industry 
are doing as it relates to the work of this working group.

Related groups:

The IEEE 802.14 WG was chartered to specify the physical layer and data 
link layer protocols for the CATV Data Network. This group has now been 
decertified in the face of the success of the DOCSIS effort and is no 
longer in existence.

DOCSIS has completed its 1.0 versions of Data over Cable standards and is 
in the process of refining these standards to add additional functionality 
and to repair any flaws discovered in operational use. The IPCDN WG will 
update the documents produced which track the 1.0 versions 
accordingly.  These include the RF interface MIB and the Cable Device 
MIB.  In addition, the operational and management issues of Multicast over 
a Cable Data Network will be addressed.

Work items:

The IPCDN WG will address issues related to network management, especially 
as they concern HFC access networks. It is expected that other services 
(i.e. DHCP, RSVP, IPSEC, etc.) will operate unmodified.

- a MIB for managing the Telephone Modem Return Path (Telco Return) for 
1-way cable modems. <draft-ietf-ipcdn-tri-mib-01.txt>

- a MIB for managing the Baseline Privacy system for DOCSIS. 
<draft-ietf-bpi-mib-01.txt>

- a MIB for managing the Quality of Service parameters for a Cable Data 
Network. <draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-01.txt>

- a MIB for managing Multicast (IGMP) over a Cable Data Network. 
<draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-00.txt>

- a MIB for CMTS based customer management  - in progress

- Revisions to the Proposed Standard RF and CM MIBs to address SNMPv3 and 
IPv6 compliance and interoperability issues.

Goals and Milestones:

  Dec 1999 Determine if DAVIC/DVB standards can be incorporated in work items

  Jan 2000   Submit revised charter (if required) to incorporate 
DAVIC/DVB  work items

  Jan 2000 Post final I-D on Baseline Privacy MIB; Last call

  Feb 2000   Post I-Ds revising RF and CM MIBs to support DOCSIS1.1 and for 
compliance with SNMPv3 and IPv6

  Feb 2000   Submit Baseline Privacy MIB  to IESG for publication as a 
Standards Track RFC

  Mar 2000   Submit updated RF and CM MIBs to IESG with implementation 
statement  for advancement to Draft Standard

  Jun 2000   Working group completes upon RFC acceptance.

Internet-Drafts:

See above.

No Request For Comments

Proposed Standard: RFC2669 - DOCSIS Cable Device MIB - Cable Device 
Management Information Base for
	DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems

Proposed Standard: RFC2670 - Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management 
Information Base for
	MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces

---

From: Ran Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:31:09 -0500

% IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)
% 
% Last Modified: 25-May-99
% 
% Chair:
% 
% Mike St. Johns <[email-masked]>
% 
% 
% Internet Area Director(s):
% 
% Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
% Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
% 
% Internet Area Advisor:
% 
% Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
% 
% Mailing Lists:
% 
% General Discussion:[email-masked]
% To Subscribe: [email-masked]
% Archive: ftp://ftp.terayon.com/pub/ipcdn
% 
% Description of Working Group:
%
% The original goal of the IPCDN WG was to define how the Internet Protocol 
% (IP) is to be supported on a Cable Television (CATV) Data Network. As work 
% progressed, the production of documents related to specific technologies 
% (e.g. IP over DOCSIS) shifted to the groups defining those technologies 
% (e.g., the Data over Cable Service Interface Specifications; DOCSIS; 
% www.cablelabs.com), and by other standards bodies (e.g. IEEE 802.14 - now 
% decertified).

[I'd suggest deleting the history above; rationale: not germane going forward]
 
% The focus of this WG is on documents needed to manage and deploy a system 
% of IP aware cable modems and cable modem head-end equipment (i.e., MIBs), 
% referencing documents issued by other groups as appropriate.

Proposed revised text:

	The IETF IPCDN Working Group develops and standardises SNMP MIBs
for IP-capable data-over-cable systems, for example cable modems and
associated cable-data equipment in a Headend.  These MIBs cover not only
cable data interfaces, but also management of cable-data equipment and
systems.

% This WG will also serve as a forum for discussion of related cable modem 
% issues, with the goal of identifying which group (both IETF and non-IETF) 
% should pick up the work item. In the even that protocol work is identified 
% that needs to be done within this WG, the WG will be rechartered as 
% appropriate.

Proposed revised text:

	The WG is also a forum for discussion of Internet-related issues in
data-over-cable equipment and systems.  In the event of a particular new
Internet technology issue arising in the cable-data context, the WG will
identify whether that is best handled within the IETF or is best handled by
another standards body.  In the event that new IETF work is identified,
such items MAY be added that to the WG's charter, subject to normal IETF
processes.

% The IPCDN WG will also keep informed on what other groups in the industry 
% are doing as it relates to the work of this working group.
% 
% Related groups:
% 
% The IEEE 802.14 WG was chartered to specify the physical layer and data 
% link layer protocols for the CATV Data Network. This group has now been 
% decertified in the face of the success of the DOCSIS effort and is no 
% longer in existence.

Change:
	This group has been decertified in the face of the success
of the DOCSIS effort and is no longer in existence.

To read:
	The IEEE has discontinued the IEEE 802.14 WG, so that group
no longer exists.

% DOCSIS has completed its 1.0 versions of Data over Cable standards and is 
% in the process of refining these standards to add additional functionality 
% and to repair any flaws discovered in operational use. The IPCDN WG will 
% update the documents produced which track the 1.0 versions 
% accordingly.  These include the RF interface MIB and the Cable Device 
% MIB.  In addition, the operational and management issues of Multicast over 
% a Cable Data Network will be addressed.

Proposed revised text:
	The IETF IPCDN group will continue to work with the DOCSIS
groups on standardisation of MIBs for DOCSIS-compatible equipment.
The IETF IPCDN group will also work with other groups standardising
cable data equipment to develop and standardise SNMP MIBs.

% Work items:
% 
% The IPCDN WG will address issues related to network management, especially 
% as they concern HFC access networks. It is expected that other services 
% (i.e. DHCP, RSVP, IPSEC, etc.) will operate unmodified.

DOCSIS has already modified DHCP, so that is an unfortunate example, IMHO.
 
% - a MIB for managing the Telephone Modem Return Path (Telco Return) for 
% 1-way cable modems. <draft-ietf-ipcdn-tri-mib-01.txt>
% 
% - a MIB for managing the Baseline Privacy system for DOCSIS. 
% <draft-ietf-bpi-mib-01.txt>
% 
% - a MIB for managing the Quality of Service parameters for a Cable Data 
% Network. <draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-01.txt>
% 
% - a MIB for managing Multicast (IGMP) over a Cable Data Network. 
% <draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-00.txt>
% 
% - a MIB for CMTS based customer management  - in progress
% 
% - Revisions to the Proposed Standard RF and CM MIBs to address SNMPv3 and 
% IPv6 compliance and interoperability issues.

Add:
- a RF Interface MIB for DVB/DAVIC-based cable modems
- a cable device MIB for DVB/DAVIC-based cable modems

% Goals and Milestones:
% 
% 
%   Dec 1999 Determine if DAVIC/DVB standards can be incorporated in work items
% 
%   Jan 2000   Submit revised charter (if required) to incorporate 
% DAVIC/DVB  work items

Delete 2 items above, see previous edit.
 
%   Jan 2000 Post final I-D on Baseline Privacy MIB; Last call
% 
%   Feb 2000   Post I-Ds revising RF and CM MIBs to support DOCSIS1.1 and for 
% compliance with SNMPv3 and IPv6
% 
%   Feb 2000   Submit Baseline Privacy MIB  to IESG for publication as a 
% Standards Track RFC
% 
%   Mar 2000   Submit updated RF and CM MIBs to IESG with implementation 
% statement  for advancement to Draft Standard
% 
%   Jun 2000   Working group completes upon RFC acceptance.

Add as appropriate for DVB/DAVIC-based cable data products.
 
% Internet-Drafts:
% 
% See above.
% 
% No Request For Comments
% 
% Proposed Standard: RFC2669 - DOCSIS Cable Device MIB - Cable Device 
% Management Information Base for
% 	DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems
% 
% Proposed Standard: RFC2670 - Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management 
% Information Base for
% 	MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces