Subject: bpiplus-mib-00.txt: Comments re: Dynamic SA Mapping & IP Multicasting

From: "Kaz Ozawa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:12:48 -0700

In the current draft, the table related to the dynamic SA mapping
is completely linked with the IP multicasting.  It's true that
the BPI+ spec only defines the IP multicasting as the application
which uses the dynamic SA mapping.  But I understand that the 
BPI+ spec does not restrict the usage of the dynamic SA mapping
to the IP multicasting application.  That is, the BPI+ spec might be 
updated to allow a future application to use it.

The followings are my proposing changes to the tables/objects 
related to the dynamic SA mapping and the IP multicasting.
All of the object names are my draft and I welcome the modification
of the names if you have a good idea.

DocsBpi2CmIpMulticastMapEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsBpi2CmIpMulticastAddress          IpAddress,  ------index
    docsBpi2CmIpMulticastPrefixLength     Integer32,  ------index
    docsBpi2CmIpMulticastSAId             Integer32
    }

---- I know there was a discussion related to "PrefixLengh" but I
leave as is.

DocsBpi2CmSAMappingEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsBpi2CmSAMappingIndex           Integer32,  ------index
    docsBpi2CmSAMapingState              INTEGER,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapRequests      Counter32,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapReplies       Counter32,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapRejects       Counter32,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapRequestQueryType       Integer32,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapReplySAId               Integer32,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapRejectErrorCode    INTEGER,
    docsBpi2CmSAMapRejectErrorString  DisplayString
    }

---- This entry is generated everytime the CM generates and starts
a SA Mapping State Machine defined by BPI+ spec section 5.3.
That is, a CM may have multiple entryies.
Once I thought the SAID can be the index.  However, I told that the FSM
does not have a SAID if the CMTS respond to the SA MAP Request 
message with the SA MAP Reject message.

DocsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastMapEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastAddress               IpAddress, ----index
    docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastPrefixLength          Integer32, ----index
    docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastSAId           Integer32,
    docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastMapControl     RowStatus
    }

DocsBpi2CmtsSAEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsBpi2CmtsCmMacAddress             MacAddress ----index
    docsBpi2CmtsSAId                            Ingeger32, ----index
    docsBpi2CmtsSAControl                    RowStatus
    }

---- The entries may be for either Primary, Static or Dynamic SAIDs.

DocsBpi2CmtsSAMappingCmEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMappingCmMacAddressx         MacAddress ------index
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapingState          INTEGER,
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapRequests          Counter32,
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapReplies            Counter32,
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapRejects       Counter32,
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapRequestQueryType       Integer32, 
            ---- Query Type contained in the latest SA MAP Request message.
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapReplySAId                   Integer32,
            ---- SAID contained in the latest SA MAP Request message.
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapRejectErrorCode    INTEGER,
    docsBpi2CmtsSAMapRejectErrorString  DisplayString
    }

---- I propose to change from the table per SAID to the table per CM
in order to count the SA MAP Reject messages and also the SA MAP
Request messages responded with the SA MAP Reject messages.
This table will contain the information related to multiple SA Mapping FSM
of a single CM.

Any comments ?
Thanks,
kaz