Subject: RE: Bare MIB - Cable Device MIB

From: Yost William <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:33:48 -0500

It's not clear for a V1/V2 agent when you use docsDevNmAccessTable to
determine where to send traps and when you use the Notification MIB.  It is
clear that you don't use docsDevNmAccessTable for access control if there
are entries in the Community MIB.

The Notification MIB does not provide the trap rate limiting control that
docsDevEvThrottle... objects do.  The Notification MIB tells which types of
traps each trap receiver wants to receive but not how many per minute to
limit them to.

----------- William H. Yost, Thomson Consumer Electronics ------------ 
.     Home of RCA, GE, and Proscan (317) 587-4816 [email-masked]   .
.There's 3 ways to do it: The DOCSIS way, The Right way, and My Way .

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike St. Johns [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 12:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Bare MIB - Cable Device MIB

Attached is the revise CABLE-DEVICE-MIB.  This includes changes to support 
both IPv6 and SNMPv3 as well as some text clean up where people identified 
ambiguities.

Some comments:  Where possible I've left existing objects alone and added 
new IPv6 objects.  Where this did not make sense, the descriptions of the 
IPv6 objects are written to try and deal with backwards compatibility
issues.

For SNMPv3 - a number of tables and objects are being deprecated in favor 
of the standard MIBs.  Specifically, docsDevNmAccess as well as a number of 
the event control tables are being deprecated.

The MIB is not complete in its current form - its missing the revised 
compliance section modifications.  If you run this through a mib compiler, 
use the flags which turn off compliance section checking.  Once the body of 
the mib is in its final form, I'll complete the compliance objects and the 
ID text.

Comments to the list - try and get them in by 1 May - silence implies
consent.

Mike

---

From: "Mike StJohns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:15:16 -0700

OK - I'll add text.  If there are no entries in the TARGET MIB, you continue 
to use the docsDevNmAccess table for  trap location.  Let me mull the exact 
approach over for a few hours.

For the event stuff... *sigh* - I mis-read the notifications MIB - 
specifically the objects on retry interval/times.  Two choices here - either 
restore the event throttling stuff to the state it is in the current mib, or 
add a table augmenting the target table for a per destination throttling 
ability.  Comments?

Mike