Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Revised bare mib - Cable Device Mib

From: Yost William <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:37:30 -0500

The docsDevSnmpCoexistGroup isn't mentioned in a GROUP statement in the
MODULE-COMPLIANCE section.  Does this mean that group is optional?  Should
it be mentioned in the MODULE-COMPLIANCE section and declared to be optional
or mandatory?

----------- Here is the group --------------------------
docsDevSnmpCoexistGroup	OBJECT-GROUP
        OBJECTS {
	   docsDevVacmAccessInterfaces,
	   docsDevVacmAccessInterfaceSet
	   }
	STATUS	   current
	DESCRIPTION
	    "These objects were added to retain the capability to
        restrict SNMP access on a per interface basis."
        ::= { docsDevGroups 10 }

--- William H. Yost, Thomson Consumer Electronics: (317) 587-4816 ---   
.                Home of RCA, Proscan, GE electronics               .
.            (There is no letter P in the name Thomson)           .

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike StJohns [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2000 7:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipcdn] Revised bare mib - Cable Device Mib

I've attached the most recent version of the cable device mib, bare of the 
surrounding internet draft (this will follow shortly).  I think its pretty 
much in good shape, however there's one issue I need input on from the list.

Back when we re-did filtering, I added the "continue" object in the
filtering 
set to deal with things where you might want to apply multiple policies
(e.g. 
filtering and TOS marking and IPSEC).  To date, this hasn't been used
because 
we haven't yet done TOS marking or any of the QOS stuff.  My first
inclination 
is to yank it out as it adds to the complexity of the filtering code, BUT - 
the above requirements still remain.  If we had more experience with the QOS

stuff I'd be more confident one way or the other.  Right now, I'm leaning 
towards leaving it in (even though this version of the mib has it marked as 
deprecated).  This mib clean compiles under smicng - with the appropriate 
options.  You'll need to grab a copy of the IPV6-TC mib - see the mib for
the 
RFC number.

Comments?  Mike

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Mike StJohns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:33:25 -0700

I said it clean compiles, I didn't say it was exactly correct! :-)  You're 
correct, I need to add the various group compliance statements.

Basically "This group MUST be implemented in any CM that contains an SNMPv3 
agent.  It MAY be implemented in any CM that supports VACM." is the statement 
for that group.  Note that there's some language for the two reference objects 
to ensure the default values of the object don't affect normal evaluation.

Mike