Subject: [ipcdn] IP addresses in MIBs

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 14:10:30 +0200

[This is a retry since the first version of this email went to
 an obsolete mailing list listed on the WG charter page. Sorry
 to those who have seen this multiple times.]

I just came across <draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-00.txt> (it was
actually Keith who pointed me to it) and it looks that you (a) define
your own TCs for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (IpV4orV6Address) and (b)
that you have IPv6 specific tables.

RFC 2851 defines generic TCs to be used for representing IP addresses
and you are strongly encouraged to use them rather inventing your own
wheels. Furthermore, it is generally a good idea to define tables that
work with any version of IP. Even if you already have an IPv4 specific
table, it is usually better to introduce an IP version independent
table (which in the longer term replaces the IPv4 table) instead of
defining IP4 and IPv6 specific tables.

These addressing issues will be checked during IESG MIB review anyway
as far as I can tell. But it is a good idea to get it right early on
in the process so that things move smoothly through the IESG.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn