Subject: [ipcdn] Update to the DOCSIS RF Interface MIB, RFC 2670

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:32:04 -0500

Folks,

FYI. I am going to submit the attached RF Interface MIB document as an 
Internet draft today. Apologies for the rough formatting starting from 
section 6.

For your compiling convenience, I have also attached the raw MIB file. It 
appears to compile somewhat cleanly, given the limitations of my MIB 
compiler (smicng).

This document contains the following revisions over RFC2670:

    o    This MIB deprecates and replaces the object
         docsIfCmtsCmStatusIpAddress with docsIfCmtsCmStatusInetAddressType
         and docsIfCmtsCmStatusInetAddress, for future compatibility with
         IPv6.

    o    This MIB adds an additional enumeration value to the object
         docsIfDownChannelInterleave, and adds the object
         docsIfDownChannelAnnex, to support EuroDOCSIS requirements.

    o    This MIB deprecates and replaces the object
         docsIfCmtsServiceCmStatusIndex with
         docsIfCmtsServiceNewCmStatusIndex, to fix a mismatch of the value
         range with respect to docsIfCmtsCmStatusIndex.

    o    This MIB deprecates and replaces the object
         docsIfQosProfMaxTxBurst with docsIfQosProfMaxTransmitBurst, to fix
         a mismatch of the units (bytes) and value range (up to 65536 bytes)
         with respect to the DOCSIS Maximum Upstream Channel Transmit Burst
         Configuration Setting."

    o    Minor updates to the description text have been made to a number of
         objects to clarify their meaning. In particular, the BITS encoding
         is clarified in several objects.

    o    The text in section 3.1.3 clarifies the meaning of "known
          modems".

    o    The compliance statements were updated to reflect European
         cable plant requirements.

Items that still need to be resolved or completed:

    o    This MIB defines docsIfUpChannelTxTimingOffset as an unsigned
         integer that measures the round-trip time, whereas DOCSIS defines
         "TX timing offset adjustment" as a signed integer that measures
         one-way time from the CM to the CMTS. These values do not have to
         match, but it is unclear whether DOCSIS provides round-trip time
         measurement.

    o    The editor needs to assess the impact on this MIB of using the
         RFC 2863 version of the Interfaces MIB, rather than RFC 2233.

    o    The editor needs to augment the REFERENCEs with DOCSIS 1.0
         and 1.1 sections. Some objects are still missing REFERENCE
         clauses.

    o    The security section needs to be rewritten.

-- Richard Woundy

---

From: Azlina Ahmad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:32:27 -0800

>          docsIfDownChannelAnnex, to support EuroDOCSIS requirements.

Can we also add 2 new enums (QPSK & QAM16) for the docsIfDownChannelModulation
to support
EuroDocsis?

Thanks,
Azlina

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>    docs-rfmib-id-022301.txtName: docs-rfmib-id-022301.txt
>                            Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>
>    DOCS-IF-MIB.myName: DOCS-IF-MIB.my
>                  Type: Plain Text (text/plain)

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn