Subject: [ipcdn] Question on docsQosServiceFlowPkts

From: Andre Lejeune <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:39:45 -0500

I noticed the following comment in draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-04.txt

    docsQosServiceFlowPkts,   -- not sure if CM should implement
    docsQosServiceFlowOctets,

For downstream SF, a CM can hardly count packets and octets on a per SFID
basis since the SFID is not available to the CM unless it performs optional
downstream classification.

I believe the MIB (or, to follow the trend, the OSSI spec) should
clarify that these counters only apply for upstream SFs on a CM.
A CMTS can probably implement them in both directions.

Any thoughts?

André

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Sukanta Ganguly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:03:23 -0800

The CMTS will certainly know about the SFID's and hence would make a lot of
sense in the CMTS to keep the "docsQosServiceFlowPkts" and
"docsQosServiceFlowOctets" counters in them on a per flow basis. The CM also
has an understanding of the different flows that it is supporting. Hence it
may also would like to keep its own counters for the same. The CM also has
the capabilities of doing upstream QoS. Keeping counters at both ends will
bring up a major diagnostic feature wherein the packet loss due to cable
plant loss can be identified. It will be a very valuable tool.
Do you agree!

SG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Andre Lejeune
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 1:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Michael W. Patrick; [email-masked]
Subject: [ipcdn] Question on docsQosServiceFlowPkts

Any thoughts?

André

---

From: Andre Lejeune <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:22:04 -0500

Sukanta,

The CM is aware of the DS SFs, but unfortunately, when it receives
a DS packet, there is no indication of which SF this packet was transmitted
on. This is what I tried to explain in my original posting.

So I agree that it would be valuable, I just think that it would not be
possible without classifying ds packets, an expensive thing to do just to
get the counters right!

André