Subject: [ipcdn] RE: Update to the DOCSIS RF Interface MIB, RFC 2670

From: Lucy Pollak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:09:49 +0200

Richard.
The MIB "3.2.5.  ifEntry" paragraph was the source of OSS spec appendix A2.
This part of the spec was changed already by 4 ECXs, the last of them
ECR-01020. The text in your MIB is not synchronized with all these changes.
I propose you to remove this part from the MIB or to change it in accordance
with the ECN/O/Rs. The second solution will be too bad, because we still
discuss the issue of interface counters and still it seems to be unstable. I
don't see the reason to define other MIB object behavior in this MIB, if
this is already was done in DOCSIS spec.
Thanks.
Lucy.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Woundy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 9:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Update to the DOCSIS RF Interface MIB, RFC 2670

Folks,

FYI. I am going to submit the attached RF Interface MIB document as an 
Internet draft today. Apologies for the rough formatting starting from 
section 6.

For your compiling convenience, I have also attached the raw MIB file. It 
appears to compile somewhat cleanly, given the limitations of my MIB 
compiler (smicng).

This document contains the following revisions over RFC2670:

    o    This MIB deprecates and replaces the object
         docsIfCmtsCmStatusIpAddress with docsIfCmtsCmStatusInetAddressType
         and docsIfCmtsCmStatusInetAddress, for future compatibility with
         IPv6.

    o    This MIB adds an additional enumeration value to the object
         docsIfDownChannelInterleave, and adds the object
         docsIfDownChannelAnnex, to support EuroDOCSIS requirements.

    o    This MIB deprecates and replaces the object
         docsIfCmtsServiceCmStatusIndex with
         docsIfCmtsServiceNewCmStatusIndex, to fix a mismatch of the value
         range with respect to docsIfCmtsCmStatusIndex.

    o    This MIB deprecates and replaces the object
         docsIfQosProfMaxTxBurst with docsIfQosProfMaxTransmitBurst, to fix
         a mismatch of the units (bytes) and value range (up to 65536 bytes)
         with respect to the DOCSIS Maximum Upstream Channel Transmit Burst
         Configuration Setting."

    o    Minor updates to the description text have been made to a number of
         objects to clarify their meaning. In particular, the BITS encoding
         is clarified in several objects.

    o    The text in section 3.1.3 clarifies the meaning of "known
          modems".

    o    The compliance statements were updated to reflect European
         cable plant requirements.

Items that still need to be resolved or completed:

    o    This MIB defines docsIfUpChannelTxTimingOffset as an unsigned
         integer that measures the round-trip time, whereas DOCSIS defines
         "TX timing offset adjustment" as a signed integer that measures
         one-way time from the CM to the CMTS. These values do not have to
         match, but it is unclear whether DOCSIS provides round-trip time
         measurement.

    o    The editor needs to assess the impact on this MIB of using the
         RFC 2863 version of the Interfaces MIB, rather than RFC 2233.

    o    The editor needs to augment the REFERENCEs with DOCSIS 1.0
         and 1.1 sections. Some objects are still missing REFERENCE
         clauses.

    o    The security section needs to be rewritten.

-- Richard Woundy