Subject: [ipcdn] Adopting the latest Interfaces Group MIB (RFC 2863) for the DOCSIS RF MIB

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:51:48 -0500

Folks,

I believe that we should adopt the latest version of the Interfaces Group 
MIB, RFC 2863, for the next version of the DOCSIS RF MIB.

Below are the changes between RFC 2233 and RFC 2863, as identified in 
section 11 of RFC 2863, with some discussion on impact to implementations.

* Added linkUpDownNotificationsGroup.

This is the NOTIFICATION-GROUP for linkUp and linkDown, which were 
notifications already defined in RFC 2233.

* Changed the status of the definition of OwnerString in this MIB to be 
deprecated, because it is only used by ifTestOwner, which is now 
deprecated, and because other MIBs should import OwnerString from RFC 1757 
or its successors.

This appears to be a harmless change.

* Added ifCompliance3 as a replacement for ifCompliance2 to omit the 
ifStackGroup2 group, and add linkUpDownNotificationsGroup.  Also, corrected 
the omission of ifVHCPacketGroup, and typos in the DESCRIPTIONs of 
ifHCPacketGroup and ifFixedLengthGroup.  Obsoleted ifCompliance2.

This appears to be a harmless change.

* Modified syntax of ifStackHigherLayer and ifStackLowerLayer to be 
InterfaceIndexOrZero.

This appears to be a harmless change.

* Added requirement that media-specific MIB designers specify any special 
conditions concerning the counting of framing characters in ifInOctets and 
ifOutOctets.

This seems to refer to the following text on page 25 of RFC 2863:

    ifXxxOctets
       The definitions of ifInOctets and ifOutOctets (and similarly,
       ifHCInOctets and ifHCOutOctets) specify that their values include
       framing characters.  The media-specific MIB designer MUST specify
       any special conditions of the media concerning the inclusion of
       framing characters, especially with respect to frames with errors.

Is this a concern?

* Corrected a typo in the DESCRIPTION of the linkUp notification.

This is an obvious fix.

* Modified the introductory SNMP Network Management Framework boilerplate text.

This is a harmless change.

-- Rich

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn