Subject: [ipcdn] draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-02.txt comments

From: Schmidt Karl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:31:39 -0600

Folks,

I just read through the IGMP MIB draft and have two comments.

1. In passive mode the value of igmpInterfaceRobustness for both the CMTS
and CM is specified as must be 0. This is not a legal value in RFC2933.
Additionally, a passive mode device still needs to manage timers for each
multicast group cache which have a duration of the group membership
interval. The group membership interval uses the robustness value when
computed. I would propose either always setting this value to 2 or making it
read-create like it is in the active mode case.

2. The value of igmpCacheSelf on the CMTS in active mode on the HFC-side is
specified as must be false. This is done so that a CMTS can not be a member
of a multicast group on the HFC side. Although there may be no immediate
need for this at this time, I think disallowing this would be a bad idea as
there might be good reasons to allow this in the future if the CMTS wants to
participate in a group application that is HFC wide.

Karl Schmidt
Cadant

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn