Subject: [ipcdn] IPCDN meeting minutes from Salt Lake City

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:49:32 -0500

Folks,

Could you verify the IPCDN meeting minutes below by December 28? I believe 
that I need to submit the completed minutes by January 4 for inclusion in 
the IETF proceedings.

I would especially like to thank Jason Schnitzer for taking notes at the 
meeting, and Andrew Valentine for running the meeting in my absence (with 
only a few hours notice).

Happy holidays!

-- Rich

IETF IPCDN Meeting
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
December 10, 2001

Reported by Jason Schnitzer ([email-masked])

WG Meeting Summary
------------------

Approximately 30 members of the IP over Cable Data Networks WG met at the 
Salt Lake City IETF on December 10, 2001. The WG discussed the status of 
its work items as well as the ongoing charter revision. Special attention 
was paid in the meeting to the new DOCSIS 2.0 specification and its impact 
on the DOCSIS RF MIB (RFC2670). Three internet-drafts completed working 
group last-call, and two internet-drafts started working group last-call at 
the meeting. Since the last IETF meeting, the WG has submitted five updates 
to existing internet-drafts. Total meeting time was about one hour.

Based on the WG discussion, the chairs will forward the draft "Application 
of the IGMP MIB to DOCSIS 1.1" 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-03.txt> to 
the IESG, followed shortly by the "DOCSIS QoS MIB" and "DOCSIS Subscriber 
Management MIB" drafts. The latter drafts have some small fixes to address 
minor concerns raised in last-call.

WG Status and Charter Revision
------------------------------

The working group quickly reviewed the overall status of work items in the 
working group. Three internet-drafts (Application of the IGMP MIB to DOCSIS 
1.1, DOCSIS QoS MIB, and DOCSIS Subscriber Management MIB) completed 
working group last-calls by the date of the meeting, and two additional 
internet-drafts (DOCSIS RF MIB for DOCSIS 2.0, DOCSIS BPI+ MIB) started 
working group last-calls at the meeting.

The co-chairs have been formulating and proposing significant changes to 
the WG charter, with updated milestones. The charter is currently under 
evaluation by our Area Directors. There were no comments from the working 
group on these issues.

DOCSIS 2.0 and RFC2670 (RF Interface MIB)
------------------------------------------

The majority of the working group meeting focused on the DOCSIS 2.0 
discussion. David Raftus and Aviv Goren presented the DOCSIS 2.0 
technology, and reported on its impacts on the DOCSIS RF Interface MIB 
(RFC2670). There were a number of questions from the working group, but 
limited controversy. The following discussion items were noted:

1. The editors would like to change the permissible range of 
docsIfUpChannelActiveCodes, and exclude all non-primes. Is it too late to 
do this? Dave will follow up with mail to the IPCDN reflector.

2. A question surrounding the co-existence of IPv4/v6 in the 
CmtsCmStatusTable. What will this look like in a mixed v4/v6 network?

3. Dave discussed the co-existence strategy and the integration of the 
DOCS-IF-EXT-MIB originally from the DOCSIS Event Notification MIB, 
draft-ietf-ipcdn-docsisevent-mib-01.

The working group will attempt to resolve these issues during the last-call 
period, which started at this meeting.

DOCSIS Usage of RFC2933 MIB
----------------------------

The working group quickly reviewed the minor changes in 
draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-03.txt, which were the result of comments from 
the working group last-call. There were no objections from the working 
group with respect to designation as an informational RFC.

DOCSIS 1.1 QoS MIB
------------------

The working group quickly reviewed draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-06.txt (in 
last-call), and the proposed response to the last-call comment about 
ambiguity in the counting of unclassified data packets. There were no 
objections from the working group.

DOCSIS Subscriber Management MIB
--------------------------------

The working group quickly reviewed draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-04.txt 
(in last-call), and the proposed re-homing of the MIB for version -05 to 
prevent OID conflicts with previous versions of this MIB (version -02 has 
been deployed as part of DOCSIS 1.1 certification). There were no 
objections from the working group.

BPI+ MIB
--------

The working group quickly reviewed draft-ietf-ipcdn-bpiplus-mib-06.txt (in 
last-call), and reviewed two last-call issues: the mapping of BPI+ dynamic 
SAIDs to BPI static SAIDs, and the algorithm for choosing the matching row 
in docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastMapTable. There were no objections from the 
working group.

Other MIBs (DOCSIS 1.1 Notifications, Cable Device MIB, Euromodem MIBs)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The working group reviewed the status of the Euromodem MIBs (need 
conversion to an appropriate archival form due to lack of implementation), 
the DOCSIS Event Notification MIB (resolve overlap with latest DOCSIS RF 
Interface MIB and get to last call), and the updated Cable Device MIB 
(resolve a number of technical issues). Some members of the working group 
had comments on the Cable Device MIB, but since the author was not present 
(he left the IETF meeting early due to a family emergency), these issues 
will be discussed on the IPCDN reflector.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn