Subject: [ipcdn] Updated IPCDN charter

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:08:45 -0500

Folks,

I would like to discuss the following charter update in the IPCDN working 
group tomorrow.

Note the three key differences from the last charter version:
1. I added text describing DOCSIS 2.0 and its resulting work item (RF MIB 
update).
2. I modified the "Euromodem NIU and INA MIBs" project to product a 
Historic/Informational RFC.
3. I changed the IESG submission dates to align with our current WG 
last-call schedule.

Note that the schedule only extends to April 2002, since we have so many 
current documents close to last-call.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Let's get this done!

-- Rich

Description of Working Group:

The IETF IPCDN Working Group develops and standardizes SNMP MIBs for
IP-capable data-over-cable systems, for example cable modems and
associated cable-data equipment in a cable headend. These MIBs cover not
only cable data interfaces, but also management of cable-data equipment
and systems.

The WG is also a forum for discussion of Internet-related issues in
data-over-cable equipment and systems. In the event of a particular new
Internet technology issue arising in the cable-data context, the WG will
identify whether that is best handled within the IETF or is best handled
by another standards body. In the event that new IETF work is
identified, such items MAY be added that to the WG's charter, subject to
normal IETF processes.

Standardization of MIBs for DOCSIS and DVB (Euromodem) cable modem
systems are explicitly within the scope of the IPCDN Working Group.
Harmonization of DVB MIBs and DOCSIS MIBs is desirable and will be
encouraged in the working group where possible and reasonable.

The IPCDN WG will also keep informed on what other groups in the
industry are doing as it relates to the efforts of this working group.
The WG will align its specifications with IPv6 and updates to SNMP
(e.g. SNMPv3).

Related groups:

CableLabs (http://www.cablemodem.com/) has produced three generations of
data over cable specifications: DOCSIS 1.0, DOCSIS 1.1, and DOCSIS 2.0.
DOCSIS 1.0 includes specifications for a bidirectional data-over-cable
interface (RFI, or Radio Frequency Interface) and a data privacy service
(BPI, or Baseline Privacy Interface). The key devices in a DOCSIS
network are the Cable Modem (CM, the device at the subscriber premise)
and the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS, the device at the cable
headend). For DOCSIS 1.0 systems, the IPCDN WG has published the Cable
Device MIB (RFC 2669), the RF Interface MIB (RFC 2670), and the Baseline
Privacy MIB (RFC 3083).

DOCSIS 1.1 extends the DOCSIS 1.0 specifications to support better
quality of service parameters (RFIv1.1), to enable operation in European
cable networks (EuroDOCSIS), and to authenticate modems and firmware
images (BPI+). The IPCDN WG will update the Cable Device and Radio
Frequency MIBs for DOCSIS 1.1, and repair flaws discovered in
operational use. Other IPCDN WG documents will address the operational
and management issues for new DOCSIS 1.1 functional components (e.g.
BPI+), for IP multicast over DOCSIS 1.1 systems, for subscriber device
management, and for uniform event notification.

DOCSIS 2.0 enhances the DOCSIS 1.1 specifications at the physical layer,
in particular to support two new physical layer encodings: S-CDMA and
A-TDMA. The IPCDN WG will update the Radio Frequency MIB for DOCSIS 2.0.

DVB (http://www.dvb.org/) have produced a data over cable specification,
"DVB interaction channel for cable TV distribution systems" (ES 200
800), which was the basis for the Euromodem specification
(http://www.eurocablelabs.com/EuroModem.html). The key devices in a DVB
return channel-enabled network are the Network Interface Unit (NIU, the
device at the subscriber premise) and the Interactive Network Adapter
(INA, the device at the cable headend). The IPCDN WG will refine (where
necessary) and standardize a DVB interface MIB and a cable device MIB
for both the Euromodem NIU and the DVB INA.

Work items:

The IPCDN WG will address issues related to network management,
especially as they concern HFC access networks. It is expected that
other services (i.e. RSVP, IPSEC, etc.) will operate mostly unmodified.

The specific items include
- publish a MIB for managing multicast (i.e. IGMP messages) for a DOCSIS
   1.1 device,

- publish a MIB for subscriber device management on a DOCSIS 1.1 CMTS,

- publish a MIB for managing the quality of service parameters for a
   DOCSIS 1.1 device,

- publish a MIB for managing the Baseline Privacy Plus system for a
   DOCSIS 1.1 device,

- revise the DOCSIS 1.0 RF Interface MIB to support EuroDOCSIS
   parameters and DOCSIS 2.0 physical layer management,

- revise the DOCSIS 1.0 Cable Device MIBs to address SNMPv3 and IPv6
   compliance and interoperability issues,

- publish a MIB for uniform event notification on a DOCSIS 1.1 device,

- publish a MIB for managing the DVB interface of EuroModem compliant
   DVB NIUs,

- publish a MIB for managing the device parameters of EuroModem
   compliant DVB NIUs,

- publish a MIB for managing the DVB interface of DVB Interactive
   Network Adapters, and

- publish a MIB for managing the device parameters of DVB Interactive
   Network Adapters.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 01	Submit Application of IGMP MIB to DOCSIS 1.1 to IESG for
         consideration as an Informational RFC

Dec 01	Submit DOCSIS Subscriber Management MIB to IESG for
         consideration as a Standards Track RFC

Dec 01	Submit DOCSIS 1.1 QoS MIB to IESG for consideration as a
         Standards Track RFC

Jan 01	Submit updated DOCSIS RF MIB to IESG for consideration as a
         Standards Track RFC (Proposed Standard)

Jan 01	Submit DOCSIS BPI+ MIB to IESG for consideration as a Standards
         Track RFC

Feb 01	Post initial I-D of "archival form" of Euromodem NIU and INA
         MIBs

Apr 01	Submit DOCSIS Event Notification MIB to IESG for consideration
         as a Standards Track RFC

Apr 01	Submit updated DOCSIS Cable Device MIB to IESG for consideration
         as a Standards Track RFC

Apr 01	Submit Euromodem NIU and INA MIBs to IESG for consideration as
         a Historic/Informational RFC

Apr 01	Revaluate charter and milestones.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn