Subject: [ipcdn] Fwd: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: Addition of Device Class to Agent Options to Proposed Standard

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:59:34 -0500

Folks,

The information in this email pertains to the following requirement in the 
DOCSIS 1.1 RFI, section 6.3.24:
"The CMTS MUST retain the device class information for use in the DHCP 
Process. The CMTS MUST create a DHCP Agent Option 82 tuple with the device 
class information and MUST insert this tuple in the DHCPDISCOVER from the 
corresponding CM before forwarding that DHCPDISCOVER to the DHCP server."

The DHCP DCI suboption draft 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-04.txt> 
is on the RFC editor's queue <http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html>. The 
RFC editor's queue is the final step before RFC publication; by publication 
time, the draft's suboption code (currently "TBD" in sections 2 and 4 of 
the draft) must be replaced with an official number from IANA.

I received some email from IANA in October that suggests that they might 
choose suboption code 4 for this draft. Some folks from various companies 
(Cisco and others) are accepting some risk and implementing this draft with 
TBD = 4. Note that IANA could choose some other value, so implementing with 
this value entails some risk.

The DHC working group chair (Ralph Droms) has sent email this week to IANA, 
requesting them to make a permanent assignment of this option code prior to 
RFC publication, so everyone can act on official (and common) information. 
When I get more information, I will forward it to these mailing lists: 
docsis-oss, docsis-macup, and ipcdn.

-- Rich

>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>, Internet Architecture Board 
><[email-masked]>,
>         [email-masked]
>From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
>Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:17:29 -0500
>Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: Addition of Device Class to Agent Options to
>  Proposed Standard
>Sender: [email-masked]
>X-Mailman-Version: 1.0
>List-Id:  <dhcwg.ietf.org>
>X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Addition of Device Class to
>Agent Options' <draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-04.txt> as a
>Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Dynamic Host
>Configuration Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik
>Nordmark and Thomas Narten.
>
>
>Technical Summary
>
>This document defines a new sub-option to the DHCP Relay Information
>Agent Option.  This new sub-option is for use with DOCSIS cable modems
>and describes a "device class" to which the cable modem belongs.  The
>cable modem signals its device class information to the Relay Agent
>using DOCSIS signalling, and the Relay Agent forwards the device class
>information to the DHCP Server as part of DHCP request that it relays
>from the modem. The DHCP server which can then make a policy decision
>based on it.
>
>Working Group Summary
>
>There was consensus for this document and no issues were raised during
>the Last Call.
>
>Protocol Quality
>
>This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>dhcwg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:59:34 -0500

Folks,

-- Rich