Subject: [ipcdn] IPCDN meeting minutes from Minneapolis

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:48:39 -0600

Folks,

Below are the meeting minutes for the IPCDN WG meeting in Minneapolis held
on March 19, 2002.

-- Rich

IETF IPCDN Meeting 
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA 
March 19, 2002

Reported by Jason Schnitzer ([email-masked])
 
Administrative Items

- Andrew Valentine stepped down as co-chair due to a career change.
- Rich Woundy moved from Cisco to AT&T Broadband.
- A new co-chair position is under discussion.
- Meeting attendees engaged in a discussion over the relationship between
IPCDN internet drafts and CableLabs DOCSIS specification references.
CableLabs often mandates the implementation of obsolete IDs out of necessity
to "freeze" DOCSIS OSS MIB specifications for testing and certification
purposes. As a result, CableLabs often certifies CMTS and CM devices against
obsolete IPCDN MIB IDs. Is there a practical way to synchronize? It was
proposed by Thomas Narten (IESG area advisor) that stable MIB IDs be
released as informative or experimental RFCs for CableLabs certification
reference. Early help from IETF MIB doctors on new IPCDN MIBs might ease the
transition as well.
- Question: should the "Account Management" section of the DOCSIS OSS
specification be moved to the IETF IPCDN space for future work? Much of this
section is based on work driven by the IPDR standards effort.
- Kaz Ozawa (Toshiba/CableLabs) was unable to be present to represent the
BPI+/CRL discussion.
 
Status of Drafts
 
- "DOCSIS Application of RFC 2933 MIB" (aka DOCSIS IGMP MIB) and "DOCSIS
Subscriber Management MIB" completed last call, and will be submitted to the
IESG after the meeting.
- "DOCSIS 1.1 QoS MIB" completed last call with minor issues. The chair will
work with the authors to produce a version ready for submission to the IESG
soon.
- "DOCSIS BPI+ MIB" requires some changes raised during its last-call, and
may include additions from CableLabs for CRL (Certificate Revocation List)
information.
- "DOCSIS 2.0 RF MIB" (RFC 2670 update) requires some changes raised during
its last call. A new proposal was distributed to the mailing list.
- DVB/Euromodem technology has weak industry support at this time. The
remaining ID's need to be captured in an informational RFC. Rich asked for
volunteers to provide editorial support for this effort.
- A subset of the "DOCSIS 1.1 Event Notification MIB" was moved to the
"DOCSIS 2.0 RF MIB". This move impacts the definition of the notification
objects as well.
- Updates are pending for the "Cable Device MIB" (RFC 2669 update). Rich
will continue as editor.
 
Charter Status
 
- The working group entertained a proposal to add PacketCable MIBs to the
IPCDN charter.
 
PacketCable MIB Overview
(presented by Jean-Francois Mule of CableLabs)

- The presentation proposed the extension of the IPCDN charter to include
PacketCable MIBs:
    a. PacketCable MIB framework (probably won't be transferred to IPCDN)
    b. MTA Device MIB
    c. MTA signaling MIB
    d. Event Management MIB
- A meeting attendee asked whether there would be functional conflicts
between the DOCSIS and PacketCable MIBs. Jean-Francois knew of no obvious
functional collision between DOCSIS MIB functionality and PacketCable MIB
functionality (chair's note: IPCDN WG members should validate this claim, of
course).
- There were no objections from group to extend the IPCDN charter to include
PacketCable MIBs. Thomas Narten raised the pre-requisite for volunteers with
vested interest in PacketCable to carry work forward within IPCDN. Editors
for these MIBs must be identified.

(end of minutes)

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn