Subject: [ipcdn] Membership Query Interval in Passive mode IGMP

From: "Shrinivas Samant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:31:36 -0400

Folks,
In the passive mode IGMP, the CMTS determines the Membership Query Interval
by looking at the inter-arrival times of the Membership Query messages.
Formally: If n<2, MQI = 125 else MQI = MAX(125, MQn - MQn-1) where MQI is
the Membership Query Interval in seconds, n is the number of Membership
Queries seen and MQn is the epoch time at which the nth Membership Query was
seen.

Now, if the Router goes down after MQn-1 and comes up again after sometime,
MQn - MQn-1, is not an accurately determined Membership Query Interval.

Is there an upper limit on the value of MQI? How can we establish the MQI in
such a scenario?
Any suggestions/comments will help.

Thanks,

Shrini

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Shrinivas Samant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:31:36 -0400

Folks,

Thanks,

Shrini