Subject: [ipcdn] SMICng and the PacketCable/IPCablecom MIB Framework

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:21:58 -0600

Folks,

I ran SMICng against the PacketCable/IPCablecom MIB Framework,
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-channabasappa-pktc-ipcdn-mib-fram
ework-00.txt>.

Before discussing the SMICng errors, we MUST fix the OID assignment in this
MIB. The object "cableLabs" is assigned the OID { mib-2 70 }. This is the
same OID as the root of the Ethernet Chip Set MIB, RFC 2666
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2666.txt>. Prior to IETF publication, I would
recommend using rooting at an OID under the CableLabs enterprise OID {
enterprises 4491 } -- just like
<http://www.packetcable.com/downloads/specs/PKT-SP-MIBS-I03-020116.pdf>. For
IETF publication, IANA will assign an OID <http://www.iana.org/>.

Prior to compiling, I had to fix the LAST-UPDATED time in the
MODULE-IDENTITY object. I have attached the edited version of the MIB, so
you can match the (line number, column number) references in the SMICng
error output.

Below are the errors that SMICng found in the edited version. The first and
third errors are IMPORT issues that would be fixed by following my
recommended fixes for the OID root; the second error is a typo in the OID
for "clabprojCableHome".

E: f(CLAB-DEF-MIB.mi2), (35,20) Leading sub-Id "mib-2" is not known in
current module
E: f(CLAB-DEF-MIB.mi2), (44,57) Leading sub-Id "calbProject" is not known in
current module
W: f(CLAB-DEF-MIB.mi2), (5,15) "enterprises" imported but not used

-- Rich