Subject: [ipcdn] SMICng and the PacketCable/IPCablecom NCS Signaling MIB

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:18:28 -0600

Folks,

I ran SMICng against the PacketCable/IPCablecom NCS Signaling MIB,
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schell-pktc-ipcdn-signaling-00.tx
t>.

Prior to compiling, I had to change the ææ and ÆÆ into double quotes
(throughout this MIB in particular), and had to fix the LAST-UPDATED time in
the MODULE-IDENTITY object. This MIB also had a special syntactical problem
with the binary DEFVAL's -- we have to define a binary number in the form
'11110000'B rather than just 11110000, per RFC 2578 section 11.1. These were
the original binary value syntax errors:

E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (313,20) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (325,21) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (336,22) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (538,20) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (549,20) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (560,22) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (571,22) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (582,21) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (594,21) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (605,21) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (616,22) number too big (max is
18446744073709551615), using max value

I have attached the edited version of the MIB, so you can match the (line
number, column number) references in the SMICng error output.

Below are the errors that SMICng found in the edited version. I do not quite
understand the error messages about "Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed", since RFC 2578 section 7.1.4 offers the following limitations on
BITS:
   Although there is no SMI-specified limitation on the number of
   enumerations (and therefore on the length of a value), except as may
   be imposed by the limit on the length of an OCTET STRING, MIB
   designers should realize that there may be implementation and
   interoperability limitations for sizes in excess of 128 bits.

The error messages about "binary string must be a multiple of 8 in length"
are correct, though, according to section 3.1.1 of the same RFC.

E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (6,25) Pseudo type BITS is not valid in the IMPORTS
clause
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (67,34) REVISION value "0206240000Z" is not a valid
extended UTC time
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (313,20) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (325,21) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (336,22) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (538,20) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (549,20) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (560,22) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (571,22) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (582,21) binary string must be a multiple of 8 in
length
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (582,21) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (594,21) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (605,21) binary string must be a multiple of 8 in
length
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (605,21) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (616,22) Too many bits in binary string, only 32
allowed, max value assumed
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (763,23) Missing comma between enumerated items
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (313,19) Default value for "pktcSigDevR0Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (325,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevR6Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (336,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevR7Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (538,19) Default value for "pktcSigDevR1Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (549,19) Default value for "pktcSigDevR2Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (560,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevR3Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (571,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevR4Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (582,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevR5Cadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (594,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevRgCadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (605,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevRsCadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (616,20) Default value for "pktcSigDevRtCadence"
must be named bits in "{ }"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1272,6) Row "pktcNcsEndPntConfigEntry" may not have
columns with MAX-ACCESS of read-write if any column is read-create
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1357,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigPartialDialTO"
with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1370,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigCriticalDialTO"
with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1385,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigBusyToneTO" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1396,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigDialToneTO" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1408,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigMessageWaitingTO"
with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1421,23) Item
"pktcNcsEndPntConfigOffHookWarnToneTO" with syntax INTEGER is required to
have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1433,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigRingingTO" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1447,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigRingBackTO" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1459,23) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigReorderToneTO"
with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1471,23) Item
"pktcNcsEndPntConfigStutterDialToneTO" with syntax INTEGER is required to
have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1483,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigTSMax" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1497,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigMax1" with syntax
INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1509,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigMax2" with syntax
INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1541,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigMWD" with syntax
INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1556,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigTdinit" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1569,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigTdmin" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1582,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigTdmax" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1595,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigRtoMax" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1610,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigRtoInit" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1623,22) Item
"pktcNcsEndPntConfigLongDurationKeepAlive" with syntax INTEGER is required
to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1636,22) Item "pktcNcsEndPntConfigThist" with
syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1989,10) Item "pktcSigDevRingCadenceTable" in
object-group "pktcInternationalGroup" is not defined as a 'leaf' OBJECT-TYPE
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1990,10) Item "pktcSigDevRingCadenceEntry" in
object-group "pktcInternationalGroup" is not defined as a 'leaf' OBJECT-TYPE
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (1991,10) Item "pktcSigDevRingCadenceIndex" in
object-group "pktcInternationalGroup" has access of "not-accessible"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (2002,10) Item "pktcSigPulseSignalTable" in
object-group "pktcInternationalGroup" is not defined as a 'leaf' OBJECT-TYPE
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (2003,10) Item "pktcSigPulseSignalEntry" in
object-group "pktcInternationalGroup" is not defined as a 'leaf' OBJECT-TYPE
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (2004,10) Item "pktcSigPulseSignalIndex" in
object-group "pktcInternationalGroup" has access of "not-accessible"
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (2011,10) Item "pktcSigDevToneTable" in object-group
"pktcInternationalGroup" is not defined as a 'leaf' OBJECT-TYPE
E: f(PKTC-SIG-MIB.mi2), (2012,10) Item "pktcSigDevToneEntry" in object-group
"pktcInternationalGroup" is not defined as a 'leaf' OBJECT-TYPE

-- Rich