Subject: [ipcdn] SMICng and our IPCDN MIBs

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:28:56 -0600

Folks,

The good news is that I finally have SMICng operational in my work
environment.

The bad news is that I tried it out on many of the MIBs written for our
working group, and found a number of issues that need to be resolved.

A simple example is the Subscriber Management MIB,
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-06.txt>
, which passed working group last-call. SMICng caught the fact that the date
strings in the module-identity are not in the post-2000 "extended UTCTime
format" of RFC 2578. Fortunately, that was the only error that SMICng
discovered (so this minor fix can wait until after the MIB doctor review).

More complicated are the errors caught by SMICng for the recent PacketCable
MIBs. I'll send the specific errors in separate emails. Here are some common
problems:
- Not using the extended UTCTime format for the LAST-UPDATED and REVISION
clauses in MODULE-IDENTITY, just like above
- Double quotes converted to stylized quotes in the ASCII version, e.g. ææ
and ÆÆ
- Incorrect IMPORT clauses

-- Rich

P.S. Here's a fix for the Subscriber Management MIB date typos:

   docsSubMgt MODULE-IDENTITY
           LAST-UPDATED    "200202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
           ORGANIZATION    "IETF IPCDN Working Group"
           CONTACT-INFO
               "        Wilson Sawyer
                Postal: ARRIS
                        6 Riverside Drive
                        Andover, MA 01810
                        U.S.A.
                Phone:  +1 978 946 4711
                E-mail: [email-masked]

                IETF IPCDN Working Group
                General Discussion: [email-masked]

                Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn
                Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
                Co-chairs: Richard Woundy, [email-masked]
                           Andrew Valentine, [email-masked]"
           DESCRIPTION
               "This is the CMTS centric subscriber management MIB for
           DOCSIS compliant CMTS.  This will be rooted in experimental
           space with a future transition to be incorporated into the
           cable device MIB."
        REVISION "200202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
           DESCRIPTION
              "fixed typo in ULP description from -05"
           REVISION "200202180000Z" -- February 18, 2002
           DESCRIPTION
              "Modified to incorporate ipcdn last-call comments.
               Re-rooted from experimental. Excluded
               docsSubMgtPktFilterUlp=ANY from docsSubMgtTcpUdpFilter
               processing. Clarified range for
               docsSubMgtCpeControlMaxCpeIp and applicability of
               docsSubMgtCpeControlActive."
           ::= { docsDev 5 }

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn