Subject: [ipcdn] 2669bis - additional objects for http download

From: Jean-Francois Mule <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:38:37 -0600

All,

For some CableLabs devices like PacketCable Standalone MTAs, we would like to re-use 2669.  Most objects of the cable device MIB meet what we need.
The additions are all related to http software download as an option.  See below the proposed changes against draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-02. Feel free to rework some of what is proposed in there to align it with the rest of the draft (inserted object position, object names/description clause, etc.).

Comments welcome.
Jean-Francois.
-
-- 1.
-- current text
   docsDevSwServerAddressType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      InetAddressType
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
               "The type of address of the TFTP server used for software
                upgrades."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 6 }

-- new text:

   docsDevSwServerAddressType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      InetAddressType
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
               "The type of address of the TFTP or HTTP server used for 
                software upgrades."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 6 }

-- 2.
-- current text

   docsDevSwServerAddress OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      InetAddress
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
               "The address of the TFTP server used for software upgrades.

               If the TFTP server is unknown, return the zero length address
               string (See the TextualConvention).  If docsDevSwServer is
               also implemented in this agent, this object is tied to it.  A
               set of this object to an IPv4 address will result in the value
               of docsDevSwServer also being set to that address.  If this
               object is set to an IPv6 address, docsDevSwServer is set to
               0.0.0.0.  If docsDevSwServer is set, this object is also set
               to that value.  Note that if both are set in the same action,
               the order of which one sets the other is undefined - so both
               should be the same value."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 7 }

-- new text
   docsDevSwServerAddress OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      InetAddress
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
               "The address of the TFTP or HTTP server used for software 
               upgrades.

               If the TFTP/HTTP server is unknown, return the zero length 
               address string (See the TextualConvention).  
               If docsDevSwServer is also implemented in this agent, this 
               object is tied to it.  A set of this object to an IPv4 
               address will result in the value of docsDevSwServer also 
               being set to that address.  If this object is set to an IPv6
               address, docsDevSwServer is set to 0.0.0.0.  
               If docsDevSwServer is set, this object is also set to that 
               value.  Note that if both are set in the same action, the 
               order of which one sets the other is undefined - so both
               should be the same value."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 7 }

-- 3.
-- new text
   feel free to modify this below.  Idea is to have a rw object to set the protocol used for sw download.

   SwServerTransportProtocol ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION  
           STATUS current  
           DESCRIPTION  
                "This convention is a bit map.  Each bit represents a   
                 transport protocol.  If a bit has value 1, then that   
                 selected transport protocol is in some way dependent
                 on the context of the object using this convention.     
                 If a bit has value 0, then that transport protocol  
                 is not selected.  Combinations of bits can be   
                 set when multiple transport protocols are selected.  
  
                 bit 0   : a protocol other than those defined here.  
                 bit 1   : TFTP.   
                 bit 2   : HTTP."  
           SYNTAX     BITS {   
                            other(0),  -- none of the following  
                            tftp(1),  
                            http(2) 
           }   

   docsDevSwServerTransportProtocol OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SwServerTransportProtocol
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
               "This object specifies the transport protocol to be used 
                for software upgrades.

               If a combination of bits is set, the device supports multiple
               transport protocol and the device will attempt software 
               upgrades using the protocol set in the lowest bit first, then
               attempt using the other protocol(s) if the first attempt is
               not successful.  For e.g., if both tftp and http bits are set
               the device will attempt software download via tftp.  If it fails
               to get a successful tftp connection, it will attempt http 
               download."
           DEFVAL { {tftp}}
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 8 }

-- 4.
-- current text

   docsDevSwFilename OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..64))
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
               "The file name of the software image to be loaded into this
                device. Unless set via SNMP, this is the file name
                specified by the provisioning server that corresponds to
                the software version that is desired for this device.
                If unknown, the string '(unknown)' is returned."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 2 }

-- new text
   deprecate docsDevSwFilename, add docsDevSwFilenameURL instead.

   docsDevSwFilename OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..64))
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION
               "The file name of the software image to be loaded into this
                device. Unless set via SNMP, this is the file name
                specified by the provisioning server that corresponds to
                the software version that is desired for this device.
                If unknown, the string '(unknown)' is returned."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 2 }

   docsDevSwFilenameURL OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..64))
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION
           	"The file name of the software image to be loaded into this
             	device in the URL format. The format being:
                 <Protocol>://<server name>[:Port Number][/<path>/]<sw 
                 filename>.
                 Where Protocol MUST be HTTP or TFTP ( Case insensitive)
                  Unless set via SNMP, this is the file name
                  specified by the provisioning server that corresponds to
             	the software version that is desired for this device.
             	If unknown, the string '(unknown)' is returned.
                  If docsDevSwFilename is also implemented in this agent, 
                  this object is tied to it.  A set of this object to an 
                  tftp URL will result in the value of docsDevSwFilename 
                  also being set to that URL.  If this object is set to 
                  an http URL, docsDevSwFilename is set to an empty string.
                  If docsDevSwFilename is set, this object is also set
                  to that value.  Note that if both are set in the same action,
                  the order of which one sets the other is undefined - so both
                  should be the same value."
           ::= { docsDevSoftware 9 }

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn