Subject: [ipcdn] Arrival of SNMPv3 RFCs

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:48:52 -0700

Folks,

The new SNMPv3 RFCs have arrived, and are numbered 3410-3418.

Expect a corresponding change to the official IETF MIB boilerplate
<http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-boilerplate.html> very soon. The boilerplate
affects the content of MIBs developed in this working group.

Below is what I understand to be the current boilerplate proposal, but it is
subject to change. Note that it is much shorter than before, and
normative/informative references have been split.

This new boilerplate is used in RFC 3418 (SNMP MIB),
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3418.txt>.

-- Rich

------------ possible new boiler plate for MIB documents -----------
 
1. The Internet-Standard Management Framework
 
   For a detailed overview of the documents that describe the current
   Internet-Standard Management Framework, please refer to section 7 of
   RFC 3410 [RFC3410].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  MIB objects are generally
   accessed through the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
 
   Objects in the MIB are defined using the mechanisms defined in the
   Structure of Management Information (SMI).  This memo specifies a MIB
   module that is compliant to the SMIv2, which is described in STD 58,
   RFC 2578 [RFC2578], STD 58, RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and STD 58, RFC 2580
   [RFC2580].
 
2. Normative References
 
   [RFC2578]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
              Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management
              Information Version 2 (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April
              1999.
 
   [RFC2579]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
              Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for
              SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2579, April 1999.

   [RFC2580]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
              Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for
              SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2580, April 1999.
 
3. Informative References
 
   [RFC3410]  Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
              "Introduction and Applicability Statements for 
              Internet Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410,
              December 2002.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn