Subject: [ipcdn] IPCDN meeting minutes from Atlanta - IETF#55

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:01:21 -0700

Folks,

Below are the meeting minutes for the IPCDN WG meeting in Atlanta held
on November 20, 2002.  They will be posted at
http://www.ipcdn.org/meetings.html

Jean-Francois.

#--- 
#--- IPCDN wg meeting
#--- IETF#55, Atlanta, USA
#--- November 20, 2002
#--- co-chairs:
#---   Richard Woundy <mailto:[email-masked]>
#---   Jean-Francois Mule <mailto:[email-masked]>

Meeting notes reported and edited by Jean-Francois Mule'.

--- WG Meeting Summary
Approximately 20 members of the IP over Cable Data Networks WG met at
the Atlanta IETF on November 20, 2002.  The main purpose of the meeting
to discuss open issues on the ipcdn chartered work items including the
DOCSIS and PacketCable MIBs. We addressed some administrative issues (in
particular the update/removal of expired drafts). We also reviewed the
submission of the CableHome mibs and discussed whether to charter those
as official wg items.  
Rich went through the meeting agenda sent on Nov 6, there was no
additions. 3 decks of slides were provided and presented, check on
http://www.ipcdn.org/meetings.html (slides for IPCDN WG Agenda & Update,
Subscriber Management MIB, Cable Device MIB Update).

--- Administration/Re-chartering

- General draft management discussion
We covered the following general issues:
 - It is strongly recommended to use the ipcdn mailing list for
   technical discussions of IETF drafts and related open issues
   (mailto:[email-masked]). 
 - Authors need to provide more timely responses to MIB doctors and
   other IESG reviewers.
 - Authors should make more frequent draft updates, i.e. not just before
   IETF draft submission deadlines but address comments and update the
   drafts on a regular basis.
 - WG handling of expired internet-drafts: 
If there are existing mibs in DOCSIS that have been implemented and are
still in internet-drafts, action should be taken. The AD Thomas Narten
made a comment re: ID revisions: if a document is not rev'ed in between
meetings, wg chairs will be more aggressive following up with the ID
authors. To address the growing number of expired drafts, the co-chairs
decided that of if an IPCDN internet-draft is expired for 2 consecutive
IETF meetings, it will be *discontinued*. This decision was presented in
Atlanta and there was no objections. It was also proposed to reassigned
expired drafts to new authors (volunteers interested in owning an
expired draft, please contact the co-chairs).  Ultimately, expired
drafts will be removed from the WG charter.
A question was asked re: the integration of the Cablelabs changes in
Internet-Drafts (done via the Engineering Change Request process at
CableLabs) and what was the purpose of reviewing them now in IPCDN.  The
chairs responded that except for minor nits, the IPCDN wg should review
those changes and in any case, the final ECN changes must be part of ID
updates.

- Recharter progress
The co-chairs have been working on the recharter to add new work items
based on participants' proposals, remove some expired drafts and revise
completion target dates.  A draft charter update is available at:
 http://www.ipcdn.org/charter-update.html
In brief, it is proposed to:
 - Drop DVB/Euromodem MIB efforts (see below for more details)
 - Add the 3 PacketCable mibs
 - Add CableHome MIB efforts
With regards to the revised target dates for completing the drafts, the
co-chairs propose to align the wg item deliverable dates with the
CableLabs certification wave timeline (organize the ipcdn deliverables
in 3 buckets to hit CW#26, CW#27 in 2003). Determining new WG item
milestones requires authors' sign-offs. Once the co-chairs receive the
input of the draft authors, the IPCDN re-chartering process will be
complete and a new charter will be submitted with the IESG.

- Draft review status and current WG priorities
Two drafts are in Area Director review and require complete author
feedback to the MIB doctor: DOCSIS IGMP MIB, Subscriber Management MIB.
Since the meeting, Rich has created the additional IPCDN work group
page, now available at www.ipcdn.org.  To track ipcdn drafts, there is
now a link under "IETF Draft Tracker for IPCDN documents in IESG and
IETF-wide review".
There was a general agreement that the wg priorities are:
 - Finish DOCSIS 1.1 & 2.0 drafts ASAP
 - IPCablecom/PacketCable MIBs
 - CableHome MIBs

- Upcoming SNMPv3 MIB Changes 
We warned the group and authors of the changes to SNMP boilerplates.
Since the meeting, the new SNMPv3 RFCs have arrived, and they are
numbered rfc3410-rfc3418.
An updated boilerplate for IETF MIB Documents is available at:
Check the normative & informative references at
http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-boilerplate.html

- Additional IPCDN wg web site
Created by Rich, registered under ipcdn.org, it was announced on 12/24
http://www.ipcdn.org

--- Review of DOCSIS Submissions and open issues
Three ID were revised (draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-07.txt,
draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-03.txt,
draft-ietf-ipcdn-bpiplus-mib-07.txt).

+ DOCSIS IGMP MIB
draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-04.txt
Applicability of RFC 2933 IGMP MIB to Docsis CM and CMTS devices. 
Author responded partially to MIB doctor comments. Author is still
working on response to MIB doctor comments for 04, with WG chair
assistance. The open issue is the definition of formal MIB compliance
statements for DOCSIS, based on CM/CMTS interface, active/passive modes,
...

+ DOCSIS Subscriber Management MIB
draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-07.txt
See additional meeting slides provided by Wilson Sawyer for this mib
discussion at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02nov/slides/ipcdn-1/index.html
Author is responding to MIB doctor comments for 06. Draft07 resolves
many MIB doctor comments. 
Unresolved: overlap of IP filters & CPE controls with similar RFC 2669
tables:
Mike St Johns commented that the overlap of IP filters with RFC2669 was
done *on purpose* in cases when a cable operator may control the CMTS
but not the CM. There are built for a good reason. It was decided to
take it to the list.

+ DOCSIS 2.0 RFI MIB
draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmibv2-04.txt is the current submitted version.
Author to submit draft05 with WG consensus. Items needing some update:
 - Resolve DOCSIS channel utilization issue: provide new counter objects
   instead of percentage objects, defining utilized minislots for new
   counters, 
 - Extend docsIfCmtsCmStatusValue for BPI+ status? No, use
   docsBpi2CmAuthState from BPI+ MIB instead
--> Ready (almost) to start WG last call.

+ Cable Device MIB
draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-03.txt
See additional meeting slides provided by Rich Woundy for this mib
discussion at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02nov/slides/ipcdn-2/index.html
The updated draft reflects some DOCSIS modifications (deprecate IP
filters, CPE controls in favor of Subscriber Management MIB on CM).
--> Ready to start WG last call.

+ BPI+ MIB
draft-ietf-ipcdn-bpiplus-mib-07
The new draft editor (Alexander Katsnelson, CableLabs) has submitted
draft07 with some minor nits.  Some changes are still required:
 - Remove extraneous CRL references in text and MIB
 - Did we resolve the tie-breaking for IP Multicast rows?
Use docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastAddress or docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastIndex as
tie-breaker for docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastMapTable rows?
 - Do we need to clarify meaning of date and time (i.e. include the
   timezone) for these objects?
    docsBpi2CodeMfgCodeAccessStart, docsBpi2CodeMfgCvcAccessStart,
    docsBpi2CodeCoSignerCodeAccessStart,
    docsBpi2CodeCoSignerCvcAccessStart
--> Ready (almost) to start WG last call?

--- Review of PacketCable/IPCablecom Submissions and open issues
The individual MIB Framework document submission has been dropped and
will not chartered by the WG. Three drafts have been chartered in ipcdn.
Updated Internet-Drafts were submitted to integrate the chairs' feedback
and recommendations:
 - All three MIBs now pass MIB compilation (SMICng and others)
 - MIBs are rooted under mib-2 in temporary location
 - Various SMI corrections (DisplayString replaced by SnmpAdminString,
   INTEGER replaced by Integer32, Object definitions made friendly wrt
   RFC2578 and RFC2580, Removed all obsolete objects, corrected date
   values, Fixed root OIDs for notification objects)

+ Management Event MIB and open issues
  draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-00.txt
  Issue: Reword the text in the DESCRIPTION of
  pktcDevEvReportEndpointName
  Issue: Should the SYSLOG UDP port number be configurable ala
  pktcDevEvSyslogUdpPort?
  Issue: Change pktcDevEvThrottleInhibited DESCRIPTION to match similar
  RFC2669bis object?

+ MTA MIB and open issues
  draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-00.txt
  Issue: Remove MD5 hashing from pktcMtaDevProvConfigHash
  Issue: Remove overlap with the Entity MIB?

+ Network Control Signaling MIB and open issues
  draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-00.txt
  Issue: Bulk up the glossary
  Issue: Add risk assessment for read-write/read-create objects to the
  Security Considerations

--> The drafts are now ready for the formal WG review!

+ We identified the following technical reviewers to conduct WG review:
   - Igor Lasic [[email-masked]]
   - Prakash [[email-masked]]
   - Azlina Ahmad [[email-masked]] for the MTA mib only

--- Review the CableHome Submissions (Individual Submissions)
The following drafts were submitted by the CableLabs CableHome project
and it is being considered for addition on the WG charter:
+ Security MIB
  draft-jones-cable-gateway-security-mib-00.txt
+ Configuration MIB
  draft-jones-cable-gateway-config-mib-00.txt
+ Device Management MIB
  draft-jones-cable-gateway-device-mib-00.txt
+ Address Mapping MIB
  draft-jones-cable-gateway-addressing-00.txt
+ Remote Diagnostic Tools MIB
  draft-jones-cable-gateway-tools-mib-00.txt

The discussion centered around 2 points:
1. Overlap with other IETF draft MIBs:
Chairs identified some potential overlap with
draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt and draft-ietf-nat-natmib-05.txt.
There might be other mibs that have some functionality overlapping the
CableHome mibs. 
There was an active discussion with Thomas Narten re: the NAT working
group and nat mib.  Based on Thomas Narten's input, it is unclear what
the status of the NAT mib is and the overlap there may be ok for now.

2. Shall the IPCDN wg add these CableHome drafts to the WG charter?
Given the late submission dates and the ipcdn audience being more
familiar with DOCSIS and PacketCable, the chairs decided that additional
review time is required. 
We identified specific technical reviewers in the meeting, more to come
via the mailing list.

+ Cablehome draft reviewers:
Volunteers:
 - Igor Lasic [[email-masked]]
 - Greg Nakanishi [[email-masked]]

--- Status of various other WG drafts
The 2 drafts have expired. Do we need a new editor?
+ DOCSIS QoS MIB
Authors have allowed version 06 to expire.
  Issue 1: RowStatus objects need to specify if column object values can
  be modified when 'active'
      docsQosServiceClassStatus
      docsQosServiceClassPolicyStatus
  Issue 2: Update to docsQosServiceFlowPkts description

+ DOCSIS Event Notification
Authors have allowed version 02 to expire. The draft needs resolving the
overlap of objects with latest RFC 2670 update via DOCSIS ECR:
oss-r-02017.

+ DVB/Euromodem MIBs
The 4 DVB/Euromodem MIB drafts have expired and after consulting ECCA
Technical Committee and the Euromodem community, there is no interest in
continuing this work (contact: Dirk Jaeger).  The drafts will be removed
from the charter.

--- WG next steps
Publish updates to resolve MIB doctor comments and prepare for IETF
last-call for:
 - DOCSIS IGMP MIB, 
 - Subscriber Management MIB drafts 
Prepare DOCSIS 2.0 RFI MIB, Cable Device MIB, and BPI+ MIB drafts for
working group last-call.
WG chairs will resolve authorship of expired WG internet-drafts or
cancel them and chairs will obtain author feedback on reasonable draft
milestones. Obtain IESG agreement on new charter.
WG to start the review PacketCable/IPCablecom and CableHome MIBs.

+ Next steps for I-D authors:
 - Help the chairs define reasonable milestones for charter
 - Provide more frequent draft updates and don't let drafts expire
 - Be flexible with respect to internet-draft requirements changes (e.g.
   SNMP boilerplates, normative vs. information references)
 - Prepare drafts for working group last-call, etc.
 - Respond in a timely manner to MIB doctor comments, and help us
   resolve them
 - Let the chairs know when you need help

+ Next steps for WG participants
 - Review DOCSIS MIBs (RFI 2.0, Cable Device, BPI+) in anticipation of
   WG last-call
 - Review PacketCable/IPCableCom MIBs for technical correctness
 - Read and review CableHome MIBs
 - Provide technical comments on the ipcdn mailing list, not just
   privately to draft authors
 - Provide comments on the IPCDN recharter.

#--- end of ipcdn meeting notes IETF #55.
_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn