Subject: [ipcdn] RE: Latest version of draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:29:50 -0700

William,

It's great to see a new version of the QoS MIB.

I ran SMICng with Bert's compiler options and came up with the following
errors to consider.

W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (1540,48) Item "docsQosServiceFlowRequestPolicy" in
sequence "DocsQosServiceFlowEntry" has gratuitous size specified
W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (1541,48) Item "docsQosServiceFlowTosAndMask" in
sequence "DocsQosServiceFlowEntry" has gratuitous size specified
W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (1542,48) Item "docsQosServiceFlowTosOrMask" in
sequence "DocsQosServiceFlowEntry" has gratuitous size specified
W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (2330,43) Item "docsQosServiceClassName" in sequence
"DocsQosServiceClassEntry" has gratuitous size specified
W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (2349,43) Item "docsQosServiceClassRequestPolicy" in
sequence "DocsQosServiceClassEntry" has gratuitous size specified
W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (2350,43) Item "docsQosServiceClassTosAndMask" in
sequence "DocsQosServiceClassEntry" has gratuitous size specified
W: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (2351,43) Item "docsQosServiceClassTosOrMask" in
sequence "DocsQosServiceClassEntry" has gratuitous size specified
E: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (924,1) Row "docsQosParamSetEntry" must have a value
of one for last sub-identifier
E: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (2117,13) Index item "docsQosServiceFlowLogIndex"
must be defined with syntax that includes a range

You can fix the first seven errors by making minor adjustments to the
sequence definitions (omitting sizes):

DocsQosServiceFlowEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsQosServiceFlowId                       Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceFlowProvisionedParamSetIndex Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceFlowAdmittedParamSetIndex    Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceFlowActiveParamSetIndex      Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceFlowSID                      Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceFlowDirection                IfDirection,
    docsQosServiceFlowPrimary                  TruthValue,
    docsQosServiceFlowActiveTimeout            Integer32,
    docsQosServiceFlowAdmittedTimeout          Integer32,
    docsQosServiceFlowSchedulingType           SchedulingType,
    docsQosServiceFlowRequestPolicy            OCTET STRING,
    docsQosServiceFlowTosAndMask               OCTET STRING,
    docsQosServiceFlowTosOrMask                OCTET STRING
    }

and

DocsQosServiceClassEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    docsQosServiceClassName               DisplayString,
    docsQosServiceClassParamSetIndex      Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassStatus             RowStatus,
    docsQosServiceClassPriority           Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassMaxTrafficRate     BitRate,
    docsQosServiceClassMaxTrafficBurst    Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassMinReservedRate    BitRate,
    docsQosServiceClassMinReservedPkt     Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassMaxConcatBurst     Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassNomPollInterval    Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassTolPollJitter      Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassUnsolicitGrantSize Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassNomGrantInterval   Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassTolGrantJitter     Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassGrantsPerInterval  Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassMaxLatency         Unsigned32,
    docsQosServiceClassActiveTimeout      Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassAdmittedTimeout    Integer32,
    docsQosServiceClassSchedulingType     SchedulingType,
    docsQosServiceClassRequestPolicy      OCTET STRING,
    docsQosServiceClassTosAndMask         OCTET STRING,
    docsQosServiceClassTosOrMask          OCTET STRING,
    docsQosServiceClassDirection          IfDirection
    }

The next error:
E: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (924,1) Row "docsQosParamSetEntry" must have a value
of one for last sub-identifier

is caused by this:

-- docsQosParamSetEntry { docsQosParamSetTable 1 } was
-- removed in an initial and unimplemented version of this mib.

docsQosParamSetEntry OBJECT-TYPE
[...]
    ::= { docsQosParamSetTable 2 }

And the final error:
E: f(DOCS-QOS-MIB.mi2), (2117,13) Index item "docsQosServiceFlowLogIndex"
must be defined with syntax that includes a range

is caused by the lack of a range for:
docsQosServiceFlowLogIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Unsigned32
    MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "Unique index for a logged service flow."
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowLogEntry 1 }

Two other notes:
- It is likely that the MIB doctor will strongly recommend renumbering this
MIB under a different OID, which is a new design pattern for our working
group. That means that we might be able to purge the deprecated and obsolete
objects from the MIB (and fix one of the errors above).
- Can we substitute the SnmpAdminString for the uses of DisplayString in
this MIB?

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Murwin William-LWM008
To: Docsis-Oss (E-mail); IPCDN (E-mail)
Cc: Michael W. Patrick (E-mail); Woundy, Richard
Sent: 1/17/2003 1:41 PM
Subject: Latest version of draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt

Here is the latest version of the DOCSIS-QOS MIB. 
This is version 7 with the back date of January 1, 2003 so as not to be
confused when the draft is submitted to IETF.

Please send comments and suggestion as soon as possible so that we can
post this on the IETF web site.
Our goal is to post the version 7 within a week. 

Changes are noted at the top of the draft and within the Revision
History of the MIB.

Thanks,
Mike Patrick &  Will Murwin

 <<draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt>> 
______________________________
William Murwin
Broadband Communications Sector
Motorola Inc.
Email: [email-masked]
Tel: (508) 851-8385

 <<draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt>> 

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Murwin William-LWM008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:41:45 -0500

Thanks for the comment. Replies inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pollak, Lucy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 11:29 AM
To: Murwin William-LWM008; Docsis-Oss (E-mail); IPCDN (E-mail)
Cc: Michael W. Patrick (E-mail); 'Woundy, Richard'
Subject: RE: Latest version of draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt

Mike and Will, 
I have a number of questions/remarks: 
1. I see some conflict in classifier counters definition: 
docsQosPktClassPkts OBJECT-TYPE 
    DESCRIPTION    "This object counts the number of packets that have 
                    been classified using this entry. This includes all 
                    packets delivered to a service flow maximum rate 
                    policing function, whether or not that function 
                    drops the packets." 
docsQosPktClassHCPkts OBJECT-TYPE 
    DESCRIPTION    "This object counts the number of packets that have 
                    been classified using this entry. This object does 
                    not include dropped or delayed packets. This 
                    includes all packets delivered to a service flow 
                    maximum rate policing function, whether or not that 
                    function drops the packets. 

                    If this 64-bit counter is implemented then the lower 
                    32-bits of this counter MUST represent the corresponding 
                    32-bits from the docsQosPktClassPkts counter." 
It seems that "This object does not include dropped or delayed packets" should not be in docsQosPktClassHCPkts definition.
[Murwin William-LWM008] Agree. This should be removed. This is a mistake that this is present. 

2. I observed some misanderstanding of docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst object even in CL TEPs. Please, compare: 
docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst OBJECT-TYPE 
    DESCRIPTION    ... 
                    If the referenced parameter is not present in the 
                    corresponding DOCSIS QOS Parameter Set, the default 
                    value of this object is 1522. If the parameter is 
                    not applicable, this object's value is reported 
                    as 0. 

docsQosParamSetMaxTrafficBurst OBJECT-TYPE 
    DESCRIPTION   ... 
                    If the referenced parameter is not present in the 
                    corresponding DOCSIS QOS Parameter Set, the default 
                    value of this object for scheduling types 
                    bestEffort (2), nonRealTimePollingService(3), 
                    and realTimePollingService(4) is 3044. 
                    If this parameter is not applicable, it is reported 
                    as 0. 
Both parameters are defined in RFI spec table 8-4 applicable only to bestEffort (2), nonRealTimePollingService(3) and realTimePollingService(4). It was not a matter when docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst default was 0. I suppose, it will be better to write: 

docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst OBJECT-TYPE 
    DESCRIPTION    ... 
                    If the referenced parameter is not present in the 
                    corresponding DOCSIS QOS Parameter Set, the default 
                    value of this object for scheduling types 
                    bestEffort (2), nonRealTimePollingService(3), 
                    and realTimePollingService(4) is 1522. If the parameter is 
                    not applicable, this object's value is reported 
                    as 0. 
[Murwin William-LWM008] Will change. 

3. Typo error: 
docsQosServiceFlowPkts OBJECT-TYPE 
    DESCRIPTION    ... 
                    Unclassified upstream user date packets (i.e. non 
                    MAC-management) forwarded to the default upstream 
                    service flow should be incremented for this object. 
Should be "data". The same for docsQosServiceFlowHCPkts. 
[Murwin William-LWM008] Agree! Will also make this change. 

Regards. 
Lucy 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Murwin William-LWM008 [ mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:42 PM 
To: Docsis-Oss (E-mail); IPCDN (E-mail) 
Cc: Michael W. Patrick (E-mail); 'Woundy, Richard' 
Subject: Latest version of draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt 

Here is the latest version of the DOCSIS-QOS MIB. 
This is version 7 with the back date of January 1, 2003 so as not to be confused when the draft is submitted to IETF. 

Please send comments and suggestion as soon as possible so that we can post this on the IETF web site. 
Our goal is to post the version 7 within a week. 

Changes are noted at the top of the draft and within the Revision History of the MIB. 

Thanks, 

 << File: draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt >>

---

From: "Pollak, Lucy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:29:15 +0200

Mike and Will,

                    If this 64-bit counter is implemented then the lower
                    32-bits of this counter MUST represent the corresponding
                    32-bits from the docsQosPktClassPkts counter."
It seems that "This object does not include dropped or delayed packets"
should not be in docsQosPktClassHCPkts definition.

2. I observed some misanderstanding of docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst object
even in CL TEPs. Please, compare:
docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst OBJECT-TYPE
    DESCRIPTION    ...
                    If the referenced parameter is not present in the
                    corresponding DOCSIS QOS Parameter Set, the default
                    value of this object is 1522. If the parameter is
                    not applicable, this object's value is reported
                    as 0.

docsQosParamSetMaxTrafficBurst OBJECT-TYPE
    DESCRIPTION   ...
                    If the referenced parameter is not present in the
                    corresponding DOCSIS QOS Parameter Set, the default
                    value of this object for scheduling types
                    bestEffort (2), nonRealTimePollingService(3),
                    and realTimePollingService(4) is 3044.
                    If this parameter is not applicable, it is reported
                    as 0. 
Both parameters are defined in RFI spec table 8-4 applicable only to
bestEffort (2), nonRealTimePollingService(3) and realTimePollingService(4).
It was not a matter when docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst default was 0. I
suppose, it will be better to write: 
docsQosParamSetMaxConcatBurst OBJECT-TYPE
    DESCRIPTION    ...
                    If the referenced parameter is not present in the
                    corresponding DOCSIS QOS Parameter Set, the default
                    value of this object for scheduling types
                    bestEffort (2), nonRealTimePollingService(3),
                    and realTimePollingService(4) is 1522. If the parameter
is
                    not applicable, this object's value is reported
                    as 0.

3. Typo error:

Regards.
Lucy

-----Original Message-----
From: Murwin William-LWM008 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:42 PM
To: Docsis-Oss (E-mail); IPCDN (E-mail)
Cc: Michael W. Patrick (E-mail); 'Woundy, Richard'
Subject: Latest version of draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt

Please send comments and suggestion as soon as possible so that we can post
this on the IETF web site.
Our goal is to post the version 7 within a week. 

Changes are noted at the top of the draft and within the Revision History of
the MIB.

Thanks,