Subject: [ipcdn] docsis subscriber management: proposed wording for filter action

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:57:25 -0500

Vedvyas Shanbhogue wrote:

1.There should be an object describing the default
   action to be taken when none of the filters in a
   filter group match the packet. The default action
   could be configurable as 'accept' or 'drop'

Bert Wijnen had also expressed concern about the original description
clause of docsSubMgtPktFilterAction, which was:

"The action to take upon this filter matching.  Accept means to accept the
packet for further processing.  Drop means to drop the packet."

to wit: what does further processing mean? In particular, what does it mean
in terms of continuing with or exiting this table?

I have been reluctant to clarify "accepted for further processing" beyond
what is necessary for describing the mechanics of this table. Terms like
"forwarding" violate the separation of layers needed for a clean
definition, and in practice have always provoked confusion.

The following is proposed new wording for docsSubMgtPktFilterTable, as well
as the -07 text from docsSubMgtPktFilterAction. Are the mechanics of
pktFilterAction now sufficiently clear?

docsSubMgtPktFilterTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF DocsSubMgtPktFilterEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of filter or classifier criteria. Classifiers are
    assigned by group to the individual CMs.  That assignment is made
    via the configuration objects sent upstream from the CM to the
    CMTS during registration. Each filter in the group is applied
    in index order to each packet. If the filter matches, then the
    indicated action is taken. If no filter matches then the packet
    is accepted for further processing."
    ::= { docsSubMgtObjects 6 }

...

docsSubMgtPktFilterAction OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER
                   {
                   accept(1),
                   drop(2)
                   }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The action to take upon this filter matching.  Accept means
    to end filter matching and to accept the packet for further
    processing. Drop means to drop the packet."
    DEFVAL { accept }
    ::= { docsSubMgtPktFilterEntry 11 }

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Eduardo Cardona" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:56:04 -0700

Wilson, to support your concerns in forwarding, "further process" , 

In docsSubMgtPktFilterTable DESCRIPTION

"If no filter matches then the packet
    is accepted for further processing"

What about
"If no filter matches then the packet
    the packet is treated as filter matched with action accept"

Eduardo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 8:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [ipcdn] docsis subscriber management: proposed wording for
filter action

"The action to take upon this filter matching.  Accept means to accept
the packet for further processing.  Drop means to drop the packet."

to wit: what does further processing mean? In particular, what does it
mean in terms of continuing with or exiting this table?

I have been reluctant to clarify "accepted for further processing"
beyond what is necessary for describing the mechanics of this table.
Terms like "forwarding" violate the separation of layers needed for a
clean definition, and in practice have always provoked confusion.

The following is proposed new wording for docsSubMgtPktFilterTable, as
well as the -07 text from docsSubMgtPktFilterAction. Are the mechanics
of pktFilterAction now sufficiently clear?

...

---

From: "Shanbhogue, Vedvyas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:53:21 -0800

I agree with the wording.

regards
vedvyas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 7:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Shanbhogue, Vedvyas
Subject: docsis subscriber management: proposed wording for filter
action

...