Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

From: "Margo Dolas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:13:56 -0500

Andre,

Maximum Sustained Rate is not applicable for UGS flows (per section 8.2.7
and table 8-4 of the RFI I09 spec), so packets cannot violate the Maximum
Sustained Rate for an UGS flow.  In an UGS flow, you only evaluate the
packet size versus the UGS grant size, and then queue the packet until you
receive a grant for the flow's SID.  If the queue is full (because packets
are arriving faster than the grant rate), then the packet is dropped and
ifOutDiscards is incremented.

Margo

-----Original Message-----
From: Lejeune, Andre [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, 28 January, 2003 11:17 AM
To: Margo Dolas; Murwin William-LWM008; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN
(E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

I have a problem with the proposed text because I don't understand how to
distinguish packets that are in violation of the Maximum Sustained rate from
packets with arrival rate faster than the grant rate. What is the
difference?

Thanks,

André

-----Original Message-----
From: Margo Dolas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 4:43 PM
To: Murwin William-LWM008; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

William,

I agree with your changes.

Margo

-----Original Message-----
From: Murwin William-LWM008 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 27 January, 2003 4:16 PM
To: 'Margo Dolas'; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

Responses in-line...

-----Original Message-----
From: Margo Dolas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 3:57 PM
To: Murwin William-LWM008; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

William,

I'd like to clarify the definition of docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts and
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts.  These counters have been discussed on
the reflector several times, and we have recently had discussions with
tComLabs over the ambiguity of the descriptions of these counters.

I suggest that the following sentences be added to the description of
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts - "This object counts only packets dropped
in violation of the Max(T) equation.  Particularly for UGS flows, this
object does not include packets dropped or otherwise not sent on this flow
because the packet exceeds the UGS grant size.  This object does not count
packets dropped because the packet arrival rate is faster than the grant
rate (these packets should be counted in the ifOutDiscards counter)."  A new
counter should be created to describe packets dropped in violation of the
UGS grant size.   Packets sent on the primary service flow in violation of
the UGS grant size should be counted on the primary service flow's counters.

We would like change the above test to be:
"This object counts only packets dropped
in violation of the Maximum Sustained Traffic Rate.  Particularly for UGS
flows, this
object does not include packets dropped or otherwise not sent on this flow
because the packet exceeds the UGS grant size.  This object does not count
packets dropped because the packet arrival rate is faster than the grant
rate (these packets should be counted in the ifOutDiscards counter)."

Suggested text for the proposed counter - "For UGS flows, the number of
packets dropped because the packet exceeds the UGS grant size.  This object
does not count packets sent on the primary flow based on the
request-transmission policy settings.  For non-UGS flows, this counter
returns zero."

The new object would be:

docsQosServiceUgsDropPkts OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Counter32
    MAX-ACCESS      read-only
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "For UGS flows, the number of
                    packets dropped because the packet exceeds the UGS grant
                    size.  This object does not count packets sent on the
                    primary flow based on the request-transmission policy
                    settings.  For non-UGS flows, this counter returns
zero."
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowStatsEntry 10 }

I suggest that the following sentences be added to the description of
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts - "This object counts only packets
delayed in violation of the Max(T) equation.  Particularly for UGS flows,
this object does not count packets queued awaiting grants."

Again just change "Max(T) equation" to "Maximum Sustained Traffic Rate"

I suggest that the following sentence be added to the description of
docsQosServiceFlowPkts - "Particularly for UGS flows, packets sent on the
primary service flow in violation of the UGS grant size should be counted
only on the primary service flow's counters."

Ok.

Regards,
Margo Dolas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Murwin William-LWM008
Sent: Friday, 24 January, 2003 11:29 AM
To: 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

Monday 1/27 is the Deadline for Comments of version 7 of the QoS MIB.

By Wednesday we will be posting version 7 of the QoS MIB on the IETF site.

Please review and get your comments in asap. Thanks.

Mike Patrick and Will Murwin

______________________________
William Murwin
Broadband Communications Sector
Motorola Inc.
Email: [email-masked]
Tel: (508) 851-8385

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Lejeune, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:17:25 -0800

Thanks,

André

-----Original Message-----
From: Margo Dolas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 4:43 PM
To: Murwin William-LWM008; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

William,

Margo

-----Original Message-----
From: Murwin William-LWM008 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 27 January, 2003 4:16 PM
To: 'Margo Dolas'; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

Responses in-line...

-----Original Message-----
From: Margo Dolas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 3:57 PM
To: Murwin William-LWM008; 'Docsis-Oss (E-mail)'; 'IPCDN (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Deadline for Comments of QoS MIB version 7

William,

The new object would be:

Ok.

Regards,
Margo Dolas