Subject: [ipcdn] RE: Q of rfmibv2-05 docsIfCmtsChannelUtiliaztionTable

From: "Raftus, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 05:16:12 -0800

Hi Minnie,

Please see replies inline.

Thanks,
Dave

************************************
David Raftus
Imedia Semiconductor
340 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 202
Ottawa Canada  K2K 3A2

[email-masked]           
613.592.1052  ext 222
************************************               

-----Original Message-----
From: Minnie Lu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 8:18 PM
To: Raftus, David
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Q of rfmibv2-05 docsIfCmtsChannelUtiliaztionTable

Hi, David,

   I have questions about the docsIfCmtsChannelUtilizationTable in
draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmibv2-05.txt.   Appreciate your help in advance !

   Q1.  docsIfCmtsChannelUtIfType :
            Is it the same meaning as Upstream or Downstream ifType in
ifTable ?
<dave> Yes, limited to US/DS iana values. As the description says: 
Indicates the IANA interface type associated with this physical channel.
Only
docsCableDownstreamInterface (128) and docsCableUpstreamInterface (129) are
valid.

   Q2: docsIfCmtsChannelUtId:
            Is it the same meaning as docsIfDownChannelId for Downstream
and docsIfUpChannelId for Upstream ?
            If yes,  why is the range different ?
<dave> Yes. The range extension is an oversite. However, I see no harm. The
downChannelId and upChannelId are 0..255. Even though the
docsIfCmtsChannelUtId is given the full int32 range, there is no reason to
use more than 0..255. If I ever get around to v6 (sigh), I'll fix it.

   Q3: If yes for both Q1 and Q2, why does this table need so many indexes
?  I think ifIndex itself is good enough to identify a entry in this table.
<dave> Minnie, this was done as a convenience to operators. As stated in the
discussion leading to the issuance of this mib, this approach allows an
operator to receive all statistics for a single channel on a single line. A
walk of this table will provide a single line utilization figure for each
channel.
Eg:
.6.128.12 = 80%
.7.128.13 = 85%
.8.129.17 = 90%, etc

    Please correct me if I miss anything.

    Thanks a lot !
    Minnie

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Minnie Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:33:49 -0800

Hi, David,

Thanks for helping me understanding this table. Maybe in next revision, 
adding some comments as you explained to me in the MIB file will also help 
other people just in case they would have the same questions as me.;-)

Thanks again!
Minnie