Subject: [ipcdn] RE: Draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib.txt Jan 30, 2003

From: "Lejeune, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:54:50 -0800

The posted version states:
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Counter32
    MAX-ACCESS      read-only
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "The number of Packet Data PDUs classified to this
                    service flow, but dropped for some reason such as
                    violation of the Maximum Sustained Traffic Rate or
                    UGS packet exceeding the grant size.

                    This object does not count dropped MAC-specific
                    management messages.

                    Dropped unclassified upstream user date packets (i.e.
                    non MAC-management) forwarded to the default upstream
                    service flow should be incremented for this object."
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowStatsEntry 6 }

Will, I think you should correct the typo: "date" should read "data".

Lucy, why is it that MAC-specific management packets are not counted? Are
these counted elsewhere or is it because some of the MAC-Management packets
are difficult to count? I would prefer to see all types of packets counted.

Also, why is it that packets forwarded to the primary flow would increment
this MIB? These are not dropped, they are re-classified. It is true though
that they are not sent on the classified flow, so a separate counter would
have been nice, but the packet does end up being counted as a sent packet on
the primary interface. I would prefer to see re-classified packets not
counted.

Thank you,
André

-----Original Message-----
From: Murwin William-LWM008 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 3:16 PM
To: Docsis-Oss (E-mail) (E-mail); IPCDN (E-mail) (E-mail)
Subject: Draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib.txt Jan 30, 2003

This is the latest draft of the docQosMib version 7 dated Jan 30, 2003.
We have decided to extended the deadline to submit to IETF till Feb 1, 2003.
This way we will have a full 6 months before the version 7 expires.

NOTE: The DOCS-QOS-MIB has been re-rooted ::= {docsQosMib XXX } because of
compilation errors.
(1) Thus all of the QoS MIB depercated and obsolete objects have been
removed.
(2) The High Capacity Object have been removed and the existing 32-bit
objects have become 64-bit objects.
(3) The IpAddress syntax has been removed.
(4) All of the objects within a table have been re-numbered inorder.

This version ends the QoS MIB's backwards compatibility with older versions.
It will now be the responsiblity of CableLabs to maintain a version of
DOC-QOS-MIB v4 for those
cable operators wanting to manage agents that are currently in the field
that no longer are supported by their vendor.

______________________________
William Murwin
Broadband Communications Sector
Motorola Inc.
Email: [email-masked]
Tel: (508) 851-8385

 <<draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt>>  <<qos_07.mib>> 
_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn