Subject: RE: [ipcdn] A question on "docsIfCmtsModChannelType" field in "do csIfCmtsModu lationEntry"

From: "Raftus, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 05:21:01 -0800

Hi Li,

Please note that I have copied the applicable Docsis reflectors. Please see
replies inline.

Dave

************************************
David Raftus
Terayon Canada Ltd
340 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 202
Ottawa Canada  K2K 3A2

[email-masked]           
613.592.1052  ext 222
************************************               

-----Original Message-----
From: Li Yuanqian-MGIA0534 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 5:12 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: Chen Weidong-MGIA0462; Wang Daohong-MGIA0610
Subject: [ipcdn] A question on "docsIfCmtsModChannelType" field in
"docsIfCmtsModu lationEntry"

Colleagues:
During the investigation of the DOCSIS 2.0 upstream channel MIB features, we
come upon a couple of questions regarding the docsIfCmtsModulationEntry of
the docsIfCmtsModulationTable. 

The MAIN question is:

1. Should the value of "docsIfCmtsModChannelType" be the same for all the
entries in a modulation table?
<dave>
No - please see following email trail from Docsis reflector Oct/2002:

-----Original Message-----
From: Alberto Campos [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 11:40 AM
To: DOCSIS 2.0 Majordomo List; Cynthia Metsker
Subject: RE: Correlation between docsIfUpChannelType and
docsIfCmtsModChan nelType

Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay in responding

Your configuration settings for operation in multiple mode is correct
and will support tdma, tdmaAndAtdma and Atdma.
In tdma only IUCs 9&10 are not used. In mixed mode TLV 5 is used with
UCD type 2 and in DOCSIS 2.0 only case TLV 5 is used with UCD type 29
and IUCs 5&6 are not used. Your interpretation of the spec in the
example described is accurate.

Alberto Campos
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Malenfant [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 9:39 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Correlation between docsIfUpChannelType and
docsIfCmtsModChannelT ype

We are having some discussion internally here, and would like to clarify
things about the modulation profile.

Let's take an example, expecting all parameters are good :

set IUC 1 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to tdmaAndAtdma.
set IUC 3 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to tdmaAndAtdma.
set IUC 4 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to tdmaAndAtdma.
set IUC 5 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to tdma.
set IUC 6 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to tdma.
set IUC 9 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to Atdma.
set IUC 10 docsIfCmtsModChannelType to Atdma.

Would this burst profile be good for docsIfUpChannelType tdma,
tdmaAndAtdma
and Atdma?

tdma would only use IUC 1,3,4,5 and 6 in TLV 4 inside UCD type 2.
mixed would use IUC 1,3,4,5 and 6 in TLV 4 and IUC 9 and 10 in TLV 5
inside
UCD type 2.
Atdma would only use IUC 1,3,4,9 and 10 in TLV 5 inside UCD type 29.

Also, If the answer to this question is NO, then a second question would
arise:

2. Should a type like "DocsisUpstreamTypeStatus" be used in the place of
"DocsisUpstreamType" for the "docsIfCmtsModChannelType" field of the
"docsIfCmtsModulationEntry"?

If the "docsIfCmtsModChannelType" value can be configured individually for
each "docsIfCmtsModulationEntry", then  there seem to be no need for
"tdmaAndAtdma" being among the possible choices of the values for the
docsIfCmtsModChannelType. It is not that it is wrong to have "tdmaAndAtdma",
it is that one can do without ever a need to use this particular value.

Any help, especially to the main question, will be greatly appreciated!
Jeff Li

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn
_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn