Subject: [ipcdn] draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmibv6

From: "Raftus, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 06:14:12 -0800

Hi,
 
Please find attached an update of draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmib from v5 to v6.
The draft has been updated to incorporate editorial suggestions from the Feb
13 IPCDN WG meeting, and is intended for last call submission.
 
Thanks,
Dave
 
************************************
David Raftus
Terayon Canada Ltd
340 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 202
Ottawa Canada  K2K 3A2
 
[email-masked]           
613.592.1052  ext 222
************************************

---

From: Joël Demarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:57:57 +0100

Hi David,

I have two questions regarding the new DOCS-IF-MIB (any version, not 
only v5):

    * In docsIfCmtsModulationTable, the docsIfCmtsModPreambleType object
      has 2 possible values qpsk0(1) and qpsk1(2). It seems like it's
      the only object in this table without a meaningfull default value
      when this parameter does not make sense. For instance, for a TDMA
      modulation profile using QAM16, the actual preamble type is indeed
      not QPSK0 but something else. Does it make sense to have a value
      of 0 in this case, like docsIfCmtsModScdmaInterleaverStepSize for
      non-SCDMA profiles?

    * In docsIfUpstreamChannelTable, can you help me understand the
      benefit of docsIfUpChannelCloneFrom and docsIfUpChannelUpdate
      objects. Contrary to the usmUserCloneFrom object in usmUserTable,
      these objects cannot be used to duplicate the configuration of an
      existing and active channel because parameters like the frequency
      cannot be duplicated. Another use of these objects would be to let
      the user configure each object of a row independently until the
      parameter are compatible with each other (valid upstream
      configuration) and commit the new configuration in a single
      operation by setting docsIfUpChannelUpdate to true. But this seems
      overkill as the SNMP protocol already allows to commit a partial
      or complete row change in a single operation and all SNMP tools
      like UCD-snmp or SNMPc give the user the capacity to modify
      parameters independently and commit the change in a single
      operation. If you take the example of SNMPc, you can adjust the
      SCDMA parameters off-line and when satisfied, asks SNMPc to commit
      these new parameters in a single operation. If the commit fails,
      the adjusted parameters are still available for further adjustments.
      On the other hand, this mechanism has a potential drawback because
      the user decides the ifIndex of the template upstream channel
      entry but this ifIndex may conflict with existing or reserved
      ifIndex (e.g for multiple logical upstream channels).
      Given these points, I propose to have the objects
      docsIfUpChannelCloneFrom and docsIfUpChannelUpdate optional for
      DOCSIS 2.0 CMTS. 

Thanks,

-- Joël

Raftus, David wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  
>
> Please find attached an update of draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmib from v5 
> to v6. The draft has been updated to incorporate editorial suggestions 
> from the Feb 13 IPCDN WG meeting, and is intended for last call 
> submission.
>
>  
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
>  
>
> /David Raftus/
> /Terayon Canada Ltd/
> /340 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 202/
>
> /Ottawa Canada  K2K 3A2/
>
> / /
>
> /[email-masked]           /
>
> /613.592.1052  ext 222/
>
> /************************************  /             
>
>  
>
>  
>