Subject: [ipcdn] Jabber at IPCDN meeting in San Francisco

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:59:33 -0700

Folks,

I am curious whether our WG would like to take advantage of the jabber text
conferencing
service as described below (thanks to Marshall Rose and others) during the
IPCDN WG meeting next week. The jabber service will automatically collect a
"conference log" that we can use as the source material for our WG meeting
minutes.

I need to know two things:

1. Is anyone interested in remote participation through jabber?
2. Who will be willing to act as jabber scribe during the meeting?

Please let me know as soon as possible if you would listen in on a jabber
session from the WG meeting, so I can be sure to identify a scribe and get
copies of presentations posted on <http://www.ipcdn.org> for remote viewing.

You probably ought to test your network connectivity to a jabber server
*before* you indicate your interest in remote participation. Note that your
access to jabber servers may be blocked by your corporate firewall, for
example.

-- Rich

	 Remote Access for the 56th IETF meeting in San Francisco:
			     Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the
meeting. For the 55th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms will be hosted on

    conference.ietf.jabber.com

and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent. So, the minute taker can review this information right after the
meeting.

1. Before the meeting:

1.1. If you want to participate
    
If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are some
suggestions:

    platform    suggestion
    --------    ----------
    win32       http://exodus.jabberstudio.org
    'nix        http://gabber.sf.net
    macos       http://jabberfox.sf.net

When you start the client for the first time, it will eventually ask if
you want to register on a public server. Go ahead and do
that. 
    
If you want to find out more, instead of choosing these defaults, here
are pointers to some additional information:
    
    list of clients:    http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
              howto:    http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/
        server list:    http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

To make sure everything is running ok, do a "Join Group Chat" with your
Jabber client:
    
    Group/Room: plenary
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

This conference room is up and running right now (although probably no
one will be in it when you connect).
    
1.2. What the Chair does
    
If you want to make text conferencing available, you'll need to have a
volunteer scribe in the meeting room. The scribe will be typing in a
running commentary as to what's going on in the room (who's presenting,
what question is being asked, etc.)
    
So, why not send an email out on the mailing list now, before the
meeting, to ask for volunteers?

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

When a session starts, the chair asks if someone in the room is willing
to act as "scribe". If no one volunteers, read no further, we're done!

Otherwise, the scribe should do a "Join Group Chat" with their Jabber
client, e.g.,

    Group/Room: foobar
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

2.2. What the Scribe does

The scribe types in a running commentary as to what's going on in the
room. For example, if a speaker makes a presentation, the scribe types
in the URL for the presentation (more on this in a bit).

Simlarly, during question time, a remote participant can type a question
into the room and the scribe can pass it on to the speaker.

2.3. What each Presenter does

Each presenter should put a copy of their presentation on a web server
somewhere, so remote participants can follow along. 

2.4. Where to find the conference log
    
    http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/foobar/
    
NOTE: the logging facility will not be active until later this week...
    
                                  #######

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Jason Schnitzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:26:04 -0500

Rich, I most-certainly would like to Jabber-in.

Thanks,
/j

-----Original Message-----
From: Woundy, Richard [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 6:00 PM
To: IPCDN WG (E-mail)
Cc: Jean-Francois Mule (E-mail); Woundy, Richard
Subject: [ipcdn] Jabber at IPCDN meeting in San Francisco

Folks,

-- Rich

1. Before the meeting:

    platform    suggestion
    --------    ----------

    

    Group/Room: plenary

1.2. What the Chair does

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

    Group/Room: foobar

    

                                  #######

---

From: "Greg White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:31:16 -0700

I would as well.

Thanks,
Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Schnitzer @ Stargus 
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 6:26 AM
To: Woundy, Richard; IPCDN WG (E-mail)
Cc: Jean-Francois Mule
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Jabber at IPCDN meeting in San Francisco

Thanks,
/j

-----Original Message-----
From: Woundy, Richard [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 6:00 PM
To: IPCDN WG (E-mail)
Cc: Jean-Francois Mule (E-mail); Woundy, Richard
Subject: [ipcdn] Jabber at IPCDN meeting in San Francisco

Folks,

I am curious whether our WG would like to take advantage of the jabber
text
conferencing
service as described below (thanks to Marshall Rose and others) during
the
IPCDN WG meeting next week. The jabber service will automatically
collect a
"conference log" that we can use as the source material for our WG
meeting
minutes.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you would listen in on a
jabber
session from the WG meeting, so I can be sure to identify a scribe and
get
copies of presentations posted on <http://www.ipcdn.org> for remote
viewing.

You probably ought to test your network connectivity to a jabber server
*before* you indicate your interest in remote participation. Note that
your
access to jabber servers may be blocked by your corporate firewall, for
example.

-- Rich

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are
equipped

1. Before the meeting:

If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are
some
suggestions:

    platform    suggestion
    --------    ----------

    

    Group/Room: plenary

1.2. What the Chair does

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

    Group/Room: foobar

    
    
                                  #######