Subject: [ipcdn] RE: sid counter inconsistent between draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08. txt and DOCS-IF-MIB ?

From: Murwin William-LWM008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:22:34 -0400

Minnie,

	After much consideration, DOCSIS QOS MIB version 9 will remove the text from section Section 2.2.2.1 Interoperation with DOCSIS 1.0:

5.  At the CMTS, the Docsis 1.0 MIB objects
    docsIfCmtsServiceInPackets and docsIfCmtsServiceInOctets for a
    SID assigned to a Docsis 1.1 or Docsis 2.0 modem count only the
    pre-registration packets/bytes of those modems."

This is not an issue for the QOS MIB. The QOS MIB tried to handle
DOCSIS 1.1 changes to RFC2670. Now that rfc2670 is being obsoleted, the rf-mib v2 and the DOCSIS OSS Specs is the place
that should clearly state how these counters and other tables interact in DOCSIS 1.0, DOCSIS 1.1, and DOCSIS 2.0.

I would even hope to see a section in the rf-mib v2, "Interoperation with the version of DOCSIS" like or to replace
what the DOCSIS QOS MIB has. This is the place to describe what table are populated under the docsIfMib when the
the modems are registering.

This way this issue can be re-discussed and whatever conculsion is reached, can be document in the description of those
objects.

Sincerely,
Will Murwin

-----Original Message-----
From: Minnie Lu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 4:16 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sid counter inconsistent between
draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08.txt and DOCS-IF-MIB ?

Hi,

   Since I have not yet got any reason for the sid counter 
inconsistence,  I would like to raise this issue again and hope this time, 
people will reconsider it.

In draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08.txt,

1. Section 2.2.2.1 Interoperation with DOCSIS 1.0
        "5.  At the CMTS, the Docsis 1.0 MIB objects
          docsIfCmtsServiceInPackets and docsIfCmtsServiceInOctets for a
          SID assigned to a Docsis 1.1 or Docsis 2.0 modem count only the
          pre-registration packets/bytes of those modems."

          Maybe I miss some discussion before.  If there was some 
discussion before, please excuse me to bring this up again because I really 
don't understand why this is necessary to enforce this rule. SID concept is 
still applicable to DOCSIS1.1 or 2.0.  The MIB objects 
docsIfCmtsServiceInPackets and docsIfCmtsServiceInOctets definitions look 
good to me even for DOCSIS1.1 or 2.0.

    docsIfCmtsServiceInOctets OBJECT-TYPE
             "The cumulative number of Packet Data octets received
              on this Service ID. The count does not include the
              size of the Cable MAC header"

    docsIfCmtsServiceInPackets OBJECT-TYPE
             "The cumulative number of Packet Data packets received
              on this Service ID."

    From the description, it seems to me that they will count all the 
traffic including pre-registration and post-registration received on this 
Service ID no matter that this Service ID associates with DOCSIS1.0 or 
DOCSIS1.1 or DOCSIS2.0 CMs.  So they are consistent for various version of 
CMs mode.

    Also, in the same section, item 3 .
         "The docsIfCmServiceTable row for the DOCSIS 1.1 or DOCSIS 2.0 modem
          continues to exist, and the various statistic objects in that
          row are incremented."

    It sounds to me the item 4 is inconsistent with item 3 above.  For the 
same MIB object, it counts differently in CM and CMTS for the SIDs 
associated with DOCSIS1.1 CMs.   I think it is good to keep CM and CMTS the 
same as described in item 3.

    Also when customer queries the docsIfCmtsServiceTable, the customer 
might wonder why some entries have low count and not aware of they are for 
the SID belongs to CM in DOCSIS1.1 mode.

I noticed this is not in version 4.  From v5, it starts having such statements.

Thanks !
Minnie
_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Minnie Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 13:42:43 -0700

Hi, Will,

   Thanks a lot ! I also hope that "the issue could be re-discussed and 
whatever conclusion is reached, can be document in the description of those 
objects."

    Appreciate your help !
    Thanks !
    Minnie

At 03:22 PM 5/6/2003 -0400, Murwin William-LWM008 wrote:
>Minnie,
>
>         After much consideration, DOCSIS QOS MIB version 9 will remove 
> the text from section Section 2.2.2.1 Interoperation with DOCSIS 1.0:
>
>DOCSIS 1.1 changes to RFC2670. Now that rfc2670 is being obsoleted, the 
>rf-mib v2 and the DOCSIS OSS Specs is the place
>I would even hope to see a section in the rf-mib v2, "Interoperation with 
>the version of DOCSIS" like or to replace
>This way this issue can be re-discussed and whatever conculsion is 
>reached, can be document in the description of those
>objects.
>
>Sincerely,
>Will Murwin
>