Subject: [ipcdn] FW: draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-02.txt is now available

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:51:10 -0600

Folks,

I added a pointer to the most recent MIB guidelines on
<http://www.ipcdn.org/ipcdn-id-hints.html>.

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: C. M. Heard [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 2:21 PM
To: Mibs Mailing List
Subject: draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-02.txt is now available

Greetings,

The latest "Guidelines for MIB Authors and Reviewers" draft, which
was submitted on 22 Aug 2003, is now available at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-02.
txt

I expect that the official announcement will arrive shortly.

You will also see some new additions on the OPS Area web page at:

http://www.ops.ietf.org

to accompany this new document.

Although the I-D itself has a revision history, I thought it would
be helpful to explicitly list all the changes here.  Here is what
has changed since the previous version:

1.) The following changes were made to avoid the implication
that reviews are required only for OPS Area MIB documents:
Section 1:    s/OPS area review/expert review/
Section 4.2:  s/OPS Area MIB reviewers/MIB reviewers/
Section 4.8:  s/OPS Area MIB reviewers/MIB reviewers/

2.) Imperatives from RFC 2119 were capitalized in the following
places:  Section 3.2 (last paragraph), Section 3.8 (first
paragraph), Section 4.9 (first bullet in first paragraph), and
Appendix A (checklist item #7).

3.) The EDITOR'S NOTE in Section 3.8 was replaced with text
describing the actual form of the copyright notice that is now
required for IANA-maintained MIB modules.

4.) In Sections 4.1 & 4.2:  s/Appendix E/Appendix C/ (appendices
were renumbered owing to the elimination of -01 appendices B & C).

5.) Two typographical errors (s/the the/the/,
s/ifCounterDisconuityTime/ifCounterDiscontinuityTime/) were
corrected in the first bullet of Section 4.6.1.2.

6.) In Section 4.6.1.10 a pointer was added to the "Common TCs"
page (http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-common-tcs.html) on the OPS Area
web site.

7.) A "DISPLAY-HINT Clause" section was added;  it is Section
4.6.3 in the -02 draft.  The following section numbers have
changed as a result of this addition:

-01 section number      -02 section number
      4.6.3                   4.6.4
      4.6.4                   4.6.5
      4.6.5                   4.6.6

8.) A typographical error (s/are can be/can be/) was corrected in
Section 4.6.4 (formerly Section 4.6.3).

9.) In Sections 4.6.5 (formerly 4.6.4) and 4.7 a pointer to the
new "Suggested OID Layout" appendix was added (it is Appendix D in
the -02 draft, owing to the elimination of -01 appendices B & C).

10.) In Section 4.7 the notification throttling text was
wordsmithed.

11.) A typographical error (s/following contains the/following/)
was corrected in the third paragraph of Section 4.8.

12.) The text of Section 4.9, third paragraph, first bullet and
fifth paragraph, first bullet was revised to allow changes to BITS
and enum labels in order to correct typographical errors.

13.) The text of Section 4.9, third paragraph, second bullet was
revised to allow redundant range or size constraints to be
removed.

14.) In the last paragraph of Section 4.9 the references to
smidiff and -01 Appendix B were replaced by a pointer to the "MIB
Review Tools" page (http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-review-tools.html)
on the OPS Area web site.

15.) The text of Appendix A, checklist item #7 was corrected to
reflect actual IESG policy on publication of initial versions of
IANA-maintained MIB modules in RFCs.  It is now consistent with
Section 3.7.

16.) In Appendix A draft -01 checklist items #9, #10, and #11 were
consolidated into -02 checklist items #9 (which is equivalent to
-01 checklist item #10) and #10 (which is equivalent to the union
of -01 items #9 and #11).  The new item #10 consolidates the MIB
compilation step into the technical review, and replaces mention
of specific MIB compilation tools with a a pointer to the "MIB
Review Tools" page (http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-review-tools.html)
on the OPS Area web site.

17.) Draft -01 appendices B and C have been eliminated.  They have
been superseded by the "MIB Review Tools" page on the OPS Area web
site (http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-review-tools.html).  The
following appendix names have changed as a result:

-01 appendix name       -02 appendix name
    Appendix D              Appendix B
    Appendix E              Appendix C

18.) A new "Suggested OID Layout" appendix was added.  It is
Appendix D in the -02 draft, owing to the elimination of -01
appendices B & C.

Here is the list of known open issues:

1.)  There is work in progress by IPR working group to update RFC
2026 Section 10 that will probably require updates to this memo.

Please send any comments you have to the [email-masked] mailing
list.

Thanks and regards,

Mike
--
C. M. Heard
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn