Subject: [ipcdn] Internal WG Review: Recharter of IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:57:13 -0400

A new charter for the IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn) Working Group in the
Operations and Management Area of the IETF is being considered.
The draft charter is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat.

+++

IESG, IAB

This WG currently exists in the INT Area. But all they do is
work on MIB documents. Basically it means that I interact with
them much more than any of the INT ADs (which is indeed
logical if they just work on MIBs).

So Thomas, Margaret and I have discussed with the WG chairs
to move the WG to OPS area and I will then be primary AD.
WG chairs agree with that.

At the same time, the WG has a whole set of new MIB docs
they want to work on (in fact they are already working on
them). So the charter lists those new MIB documents and
has new milestones for them. The milestones have been
kind of aligned with Cablelabs Certifaction Waves, so that
is hoped to help motivate the WG pariticpants to finish
by some specific date. Let us hope that that will indeed work.

Below is the proposed re-charter text. There is quite extensive
background info included, which may seem superfluous, but I think
it does help readers of the charter to understand how this all
relates to other work in the cable industry.

Thanks,
Bert 

IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)
----------------------------------

 Charter
 Last Modified: 2003-08-01

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s):

     Richard Woundy <[email-masked]>
     Jean-Francois Mule <[email-masked]>

 Operations and Management Area Director(s):
     Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
     Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

 Operations and Management Area Advisor:
     Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn
     Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn

 Description of Working Group: 

     The IETF IPCDN Working Group develops and standardizes MIBs
     for IP-capable data-over-cable systems, for example cable
     modems, multimedia terminal adapters and associated
     cable-data equipment in a cable headend. 
     These MIBs cover not only cable data interfaces, but also
     management of cable-data equipment and systems. 

     The WG mailing list may be used discussion of Internet-related
     issues in data-over-cable equipment and systems. In the event
     of a particular new Internet technology issue arising in the
     cable-data context, the WG will identify whether that is best
     handled within the IETF or is best handled by another standards
     body. In the event that new IETF MIB work, the WG chairs can
     discuss additional WG work items with the AD. Such additions
     will have to go through normal re-charter process.
     If non-MIB work gets identified, such items are not normal
     work items for this IPCDN-MIB WG and must go through normal
     IETF new WG chartering process.

     Standardization of MIBs for DOCSIS, PacketCable and CableHome
     systems are explicitly within the scope of the IPCDN Working
     Group.

     The IPCDN WG will also keep informed on what other groups in
     the industry are doing as it relates to the efforts of this
     working group.

     The WG will align its specifications with IPv6 and SNMP STD.

 Related groups: 

     CableLabs (http://www.cablelabs.com/) is structured into projects.
     In its Cable Modem/DOCSIS project, CableLabs has produced three
     generations of data over cable specifications: DOCSIS 1.0,
     DOCSIS 1.1, and DOCSIS 2.0. 
     In its PacketCable project, CableLabs has produced one generation
     of interface specifications for delivering real-time multimedia
     services over DOCSIS (http://www.packetcable.com/specifications/).
     Internationally, IPCablecom is the global name associated
     with the extensions & global standardization of PacketCable
     in ETSI & ITU-T SG9.
     In its CableHome project, CableLabs has produced one generation
     of interface specifications for extending manageability for
     customer care to the residential gateway or home router device
     connected to the Internet through a DOCSIS-compliant cable modem
     (http://www.cablelabs.com/projects/cablehome/).

     DOCSIS 1.0 includes specifications for a bidirectional
     data-over-cable interface (RFI, or Radio Frequency Interface)
     and a data privacy service (BPI, or Baseline Privacy Interface).
     The key devices in a DOCSIS network are the Cable Modem (CM, the
     device at the subscriber premise) and the Cable Modem Termination
     System (CMTS, the device at the cable headend). For DOCSIS 1.0
     systems, the IPCDN WG has published the Cable Device MIB
     (RFC 2669), the RF Interface MIB (RFC 2670), and the Baseline
     Privacy MIB (RFC 3083).

     DOCSIS 1.1 extends the DOCSIS 1.0 specifications to support
     better quality of service parameters (RFIv1.1), to enable
     operation in European cable networks (EuroDOCSIS), and to
     authenticate modems and firmware images (BPI+). The IPCDN WG
     will update the Cable Device and Radio Frequency MIBs for
     DOCSIS 1.1, and repair flaws discovered in operational use.
     Other IPCDN WG documents will address the operational and
     management issues for new DOCSIS 1.1 functional components
     (e.g. BPI+), for subscriber device management, and for
     uniform event notification.

     DOCSIS 2.0 enhances the DOCSIS 1.1 specifications at the
     physical layer, in particular to support two new physical
     layer encodings: S-CDMA and A-TDMA. The IPCDN WG will update
     the Radio Frequency MIB for DOCSIS 2.0.

     PacketCable 1.0 is built on top of the DOCSIS 1.1 cable modem 
     infrastructure and it includes a suite of interface
     specifications covering multimedia terminal adapter (MTA)
     device provisioning, voice over IP session signaling, QoS
     signaling based on IETF standards. The key systems in a
     PacketCable network are the multimedia terminal adapter (MTA),
     a Call Management Server (CMS), a PacketCable-compliant 
     DOCSIS 1.1 CMTS, Media Gateway Controllers, Media Gateways
     along with back-office systems. In ITU-T SG-9 and ETSI AT,
     IPCableCom has standardized PacketCable to create a set of
     international standards.

     CableHome 1.0 is a set of specifications for residential
     gateway or home router functionality standardizing methods
     for implementing address acquisition, device configuration
     and management, network address translation, event reporting,
     remote connectivity diagnostics, secure software download,
     firewall policy file download, firewall monitoring,
     management parameter access control and other residential
     gateway functionality. By standardizing these features,
     CableHome 1.0 specifications enable cable operators to
     deliver high-value, managed broadband services to their
     high-speed data service subscribers, through a DOCSIS cable
     modem.

 Work items:

     The IPCDN WG will address issues related to network management,
     especially as they concern HFC access networks. It is expected
     that other services (i.e. RSVP, IPSEC, etc.) will operate
     mostly unmodified.

     The specific work items include

     -- DOCSIS,
           - publish MIB documents for:
               - subscriber device management on a DOCSIS 1.1 CMTS,
               - managing the quality of service parameters for a
                   DOCSIS 1.1 device,
               - managing the Baseline Privacy Plus system for a
                   DOCSIS 1.1 device,
               - uniform event notification on a DOCSIS 1.1 device,
           - revise MIB documents for:
               - DOCSIS 1.0 RF Interface MIB to support EuroDOCSIS
                   parameters and DOCSIS 2.0 physical layer management,
               - the DOCSIS 1.0 Cable Device MIBs to address SNMPv3
                   and IPv6 compliance and interoperability issues,

     -- IPCablecom & PacketCable
           - publish MIB documents for:
               - managing the device parameters of
                   PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA devices,
               - managing the signaling parameters of 
                   PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA devices,
               - managing events for PacketCable/IPCablecom systems,

     -- CableHome
           - publish MIB documents for:
               - managing attributes of a residential gateway or 
                   home router device,
               - managing private address-to-public address mappings
                   for a residential gateway or home router device,
               - managing the address lease acquistion client and the
                   address lease server functionality of a residential
                   gateway or home router device,
               - managing diagnostic utilities used to remotely test
                   the connectivity between a residential gateway and
                   privately-addressed LAN hosts,
               - managing firewall attributes, monitoring firewall
                   attacks, and managing security certificates in a
                   residential gateway or home router device,
               - managing QoS configuration in a residential
                   gateway or home router device.

 Goals and Milestones:

 Done Post final I-D on Baseline Privacy MIB; Last call 

 Done Post I-Ds revising RF and CM MIBs to support DOCSIS1.1
                 and for compliance with SNMPv3 and IPv6 

 Done Submit Baseline Privacy MIB to IESG for publication as
                 a Standards Track RFC 

 Aug 03 Submit DOCSIS Subscriber Management MIB to IESG for
                 consideration as a Standards Track RFC

 Sep 03 Submit DOCSIS 1.1 QoS MIB to IESG for consideration as a
                 Standards Track RFC

 Sep 03 Submit DOCSIS BPI+ MIB to IESG for consideration as a
                 Standards Track RFC

 Sep 03 Submit updated DOCSIS RF MIB to IESG for consideration
                 as a Standards Track RFC (Proposed Standard)

 Sep 03 Submit updated DOCSIS Cable Device MIB to IESG for
                 consideration as a Standards Track RFC

 Sep 03 Submit DOCSIS Event Notification MIB to IESG for
                 consideration as a Standards Track RFC

 Sep 03 Submit PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA device MIB to IESG
                 for consideration as a Standards Track RFC
                 
 Sep 03 Submit PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA signaling MIB to IESG
                 for consideration as a Standards Track RFC

 Nov 03 Submit PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA event MIB to IESG for 
                 consideration as a Standards Track RFC

 Nov 03 Submit Cablehome MIB for managing residential gateway or 
                 home router device to IESG for consideration as 
                 Standards Track RFC,

 Nov 03 Submit Cablehome MIB for MIB for managing private 
                 address-to-public address mappings for a residential 
                 gateway or home router device to IESG for consideration
                 as Standards Track RFC,

 Nov 03 Submit Cablehome MIB for managing the address lease
                 acquistion client and the address lease server
                 functionality of a residential gateway or home router
                 device to IESG for consideration as Standards Track RFC,

 Nov 03 Submit Cablehome MIB for managing diagnostic utilities
                 used to remotely test the connectivity between a residential
                 gateway and privately-addressed LAN hosts to IESG for
                 consideration as Standards Track RFC,

 Nov 03 Submit Cablehome MIB for managing firewall attributes, 
                 monitoring firewall attacks, and managing security
                 certificates in a residential gateway or home router device
                 to IESG for consideration as Standards Track RFC,

 Feb 04 Revaluate charter and milestones or conclude wg.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn