Subject: [ipcdn] WG-recharter and moving to OPS area

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:51:49 +0200

WG participants, 

The current INT ADs, the WG chairs and I have been discussing
this WG and where it sits. Since the WG does only MIB work,
it seems wise to just move the WG to the OPS area and let
it report to me. I am currently discussing this with the 
IESG and IAB. If you have any other input, pls post to the
list.

Below is the proposed re-charter text. 

Thanks,
Bert, Thomas, Margaret
------ draft re-charter text for IPCDN WG ----

Status: re-charter text, not yet approved by IESG

Chair(s):

  Richard Woundy <[email-masked]>
  Jean-Francois Mule <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
  Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
  Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
  Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn
  Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn

Description of Working Group: 

  The IETF IPCDN Working Group develops and standardizes MIBs
  for IP-capable data-over-cable systems, for example cable
  modems, multimedia terminal adapters and associated
  cable-data equipment in a cable headend. 
  These MIBs cover not only cable data interfaces, but also
  management of cable-data equipment and systems. 

  The WG mailing list may be used discussion of Internet-related
  issues in data-over-cable equipment and systems. In the event
  of a particular new Internet technology issue arising in the
  cable-data context, the WG will identify whether that is best
  handled within the IETF or is best handled by another standards
  body. In the event that new IETF MIB work, the WG chairs can
  discuss additional WG work items with the AD. Such additions
  will have to go through normal re-charter process.
  If non-MIB work gets identified, such items are not normal
  work items for this IPCDN-MIB WG and must go through normal
  IETF new WG chartering process.

  Standardization of MIBs for DOCSIS, PacketCable and CableHome
  systems are explicitly within the scope of the IPCDN Working
  Group.

  The IPCDN WG will also keep informed on what other groups in
  the industry are doing as it relates to the efforts of this
  working group.

  The WG will align its specifications with IPv6 and SNMP STD.

Related groups: 

  CableLabs (http://www.cablelabs.com/) is structured into projects.
  In its Cable Modem/DOCSIS project, CableLabs has produced three
  generations of data over cable specifications: DOCSIS 1.0,
  DOCSIS 1.1, and DOCSIS 2.0.  
  In its PacketCable project, CableLabs has produced one generation
  of interface specifications for delivering real-time multimedia
  services over DOCSIS (http://www.packetcable.com/specifications/).
  Internationally, IPCablecom is the global name associated
  with the extensions & global standardization of PacketCable
  in ETSI & ITU-T SG9.
  In its CableHome project, CableLabs has produced one generation
  of interface specifications for extending manageability for
  customer care to the residential gateway or home router device
  connected to the Internet through a DOCSIS-compliant cable modem
  (http://www.cablelabs.com/projects/cablehome/).

  DOCSIS 1.0 includes specifications for a bidirectional
  data-over-cable interface (RFI, or Radio Frequency Interface)
  and a data privacy service (BPI, or Baseline Privacy Interface).
  The key devices in a DOCSIS network are the Cable Modem (CM, the
  device at the subscriber premise) and the Cable Modem Termination
  System (CMTS, the device at the cable headend). For DOCSIS 1.0
  systems, the IPCDN WG has published the Cable Device MIB
  (RFC 2669), the RF Interface MIB (RFC 2670), and the Baseline
  Privacy MIB (RFC 3083).

  DOCSIS 1.1 extends the DOCSIS 1.0 specifications to support
  better quality of service parameters (RFIv1.1), to enable
  operation in European cable networks (EuroDOCSIS), and to
  authenticate modems and firmware images (BPI+). The IPCDN WG
  will update the Cable Device and Radio Frequency MIBs for
  DOCSIS 1.1, and repair flaws discovered in operational use.
  Other IPCDN WG documents will address the operational and
  management issues for new DOCSIS 1.1 functional components
  (e.g. BPI+), for subscriber device management, and for
  uniform event notification.

  DOCSIS 2.0 enhances the DOCSIS 1.1 specifications at the
  physical layer, in particular to support two new physical
  layer encodings: S-CDMA and A-TDMA. The IPCDN WG will update
  the Radio Frequency MIB for DOCSIS 2.0.

  PacketCable 1.0 is built on top of the DOCSIS 1.1 cable modem 
  infrastructure and it includes a suite of interface
  specifications covering multimedia terminal adapter (MTA)
  device provisioning, voice over IP session signaling, QoS
  signaling based on IETF standards. The key systems in a
  PacketCable network are the multimedia terminal adapter (MTA),
  a Call Management Server (CMS), a PacketCable-compliant 
  DOCSIS 1.1 CMTS, Media Gateway Controllers, Media Gateways
  along with back-office systems. In ITU-T SG-9 and ETSI AT,
  IPCableCom has standardized PacketCable to create a set of
  international standards.

  CableHome 1.0 is a set of specifications for residential
  gateway or home router functionality standardizing methods
  for implementing address acquisition, device configuration
  and management, network address translation, event reporting,
  remote connectivity diagnostics, secure software download,
  firewall policy file download, firewall monitoring,
  management parameter access control and other residential
  gateway functionality. By standardizing these features,
  CableHome 1.0 specifications enable cable operators to
  deliver high-value, managed broadband services to their
  high-speed data service subscribers, through a DOCSIS cable
  modem.

Work items:

  The IPCDN WG will address issues related to network management,
  especially as they concern HFC access networks. It is expected
  that other services (i.e. RSVP, IPSEC, etc.) will operate
  mostly unmodified.

  The specific work items include

  -- DOCSIS,
     - publish MIB documents for:
       - subscriber device management on a DOCSIS 1.1 CMTS,
       - managing the quality of service parameters for a
         DOCSIS 1.1 device,
       - managing the Baseline Privacy Plus system for a
         DOCSIS 1.1 device,
       - uniform event notification on a DOCSIS 1.1 device,
     - revise MIB documents for:
       - DOCSIS 1.0 RF Interface MIB to support EuroDOCSIS
         parameters and DOCSIS 2.0 physical layer management,
       - the DOCSIS 1.0 Cable Device MIBs to address SNMPv3
         and IPv6 compliance and interoperability issues,

  -- IPCablecom & PacketCable
     - publish MIB documents for:
       - managing the device parameters of
         PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA devices,
       - managing the signaling parameters of 
         PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA devices,
       - managing events for PacketCable/IPCablecom systems,

  -- CableHome
     - publish MIB documents for:
       - managing attributes of a residential gateway or 
         home router device,
       - managing private address-to-public address mappings
         for a residential gateway or home router device,
       - managing the address lease acquistion client and the
         address lease server functionality of a residential
         gateway or home router device,
       - managing diagnostic utilities used to remotely test
         the connectivity between a residential gateway and
         privately-addressed LAN hosts,
       - managing firewall attributes, monitoring firewall
         attacks, and managing security certificates in a
         residential gateway or home router device,
       - managing QoS configuration in a residential
         gateway or home router device.

Goals and Milestones:

Done    Post final I-D on Baseline Privacy MIB; Last call  

Done    Post I-Ds revising RF and CM MIBs to support DOCSIS1.1
        and for compliance with SNMPv3 and IPv6  

Done    Submit Baseline Privacy MIB to IESG for publication as
        a Standards Track RFC  

Aug 03  Submit DOCSIS Subscriber Management MIB to IESG for
        consideration as a Standards Track RFC

Sep 03  Submit DOCSIS 1.1 QoS MIB to IESG for consideration as a
        Standards Track RFC

Sep 03  Submit DOCSIS BPI+ MIB to IESG for consideration as a
        Standards Track RFC

Sep 03  Submit updated DOCSIS RF MIB to IESG for consideration
        as a Standards Track RFC (Proposed Standard)

Sep 03  Submit updated DOCSIS Cable Device MIB to IESG for
        consideration as a Standards Track RFC

Sep 03  Submit DOCSIS Event Notification MIB to IESG for
        consideration as a Standards Track RFC

Sep 03  Submit PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA device MIB to IESG
        for consideration as a Standards Track RFC
	
Sep 03  Submit PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA signaling MIB to IESG
        for consideration as a Standards Track RFC

Nov 03  Submit PacketCable/IPCableCom MTA event MIB to IESG for 
        consideration as a Standards Track RFC

Nov 03  Submit Cablehome MIB for managing residential gateway or 
        home router device to IESG for consideration as 
        Standards Track RFC,

Nov 03  Submit Cablehome MIB for MIB for managing private 
        address-to-public address mappings for a residential 
        gateway or home router device to IESG for consideration
        as Standards Track RFC,

Nov 03  Submit Cablehome MIB for managing the address lease
        acquistion client and the  address lease server
        functionality of a residential gateway or home router
        device to IESG for consideration as Standards Track RFC,

Nov 03  Submit Cablehome MIB for managing diagnostic utilities
        used to remotely test the connectivity between a residential
        gateway and privately-addressed LAN hosts to IESG for
        consideration as Standards Track RFC,

Nov 03  Submit Cablehome MIB for managing firewall attributes, 
        monitoring firewall attacks, and managing security
        certificates in a residential gateway or home router device
        to IESG for consideration as Standards Track RFC,

Feb 04  Revaluate charter and milestones or conclude wg.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Azlina Ahmad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:22:21 -0700

I think this would be ok but where would we discuss
some of the related works that we may want to align
between CableLab and IETF WG(s), for example netconf
and ipfix (may be useful for Cable customers).

Thanks,
Azlina