Subject: [ipcdn] Signaling MIB ECO - mibsig-3004-v3

From: "Rick Vetter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:52:53 -0400

The following is in reference to the proposed changes to the signaling
MIB submitted through the mibsig-o-3004-v3 PacketCable ECO, authored by
Rick Vetter, Eugene Nechamkin, and Ryan Moats.

The MIB for specifying MTA code has an enumerated value for "other" but
no additional variable to set what the "other" type is. This prevents
any interoperability between non-specified codecs and requires that
additional codecs be supported only through republication of the MIB.

The intention is to allow vendors to freely introduce (test, interop,
work with)  new CODECs *BEFORE* all necessary modifications are made in
the PacketCable specs and RFC (for SIG MIB). Recently introduced CMS
Prov Spec would allow  use of  new data in the CODEC table to identify
codecs.

The changes involve the following 

1 - ADD to the codec table:

pktcSigDevCodecName       SnmpAdminString

    SYNTAX     SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..32))

    MAX-ACCESS read-only

    STATUS current

    DESCRIPTION

        " Represents the name of the CODEC in human readable form. This
string is used to refer to known 'standard' (e.g., G.711 u-law) and
'non-standard' (e.g., G.726 at 16 kb/s) CODECs in the PacketCable
Audio/Video Codecs Specification.''

    REFERENCE

    "PacketCable Audio/Video Codecs Specification"

::= { pktcSigDevCodecEntry 4 }

pktcSigDevCodecLiteralName   SnmpAdminString

    SYNTAX     SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..32))

    MAX-ACCESS read-only

    STATUS current

    DESCRIPTION

        "Represents the Literal Name of the CODEC. Literal Name of the
CODEC

        is used verbatim in NCS messages (CRCX, MDCX) to provide the
CODEC 

        negotiation capabilities between the calling parties.

        E.g: 'PCMU'  or 'G726-16'.''

    REFERENCE

        "PacketCable Audio/Video Codecs Specification"

::= { pktcSigDevCodecEntry 5 }

pktcSigDevCodecRtpMapName   SnmpAdminString

    SYNTAX     SnmpAdminString  (SIZE (1..32))

    MAX-ACCESS read-only

    STATUS current

    DESCRIPTION

        "Represents the RTP Map Parameter of the CODEC. This is the
literal name 

        of the RTP MAP Parameter corresponding to the CODEC. The value
of the 

        Object must be used verbatim in 'a=' parameter of SDP during the
CODEC 

        negotiation in NCS messages between calling parties.

        E.g: 'PCMU/8000' or 'G726-16/8000'."

    REFERENCE

        "PacketCable Audio/Video Codecs Specification"

::= { pktcSigDevCodecEntry 6 }

pktcSigDevCodecPtime   OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX        SnmpAdminString

    MAX-ACCESS read-only

    STATUS        current

    DESCRIPTION

        "Contains the list of the packetization periods (in msecs)
supported by the CODEC separated by semicolon. 

        E.g: 10;20;30''

    REFERENCE

        "PacketCable Audio/Video Codecs Specification"

::= { pktcSigDevCodecEntry 7 }

pktcSigDevCodecFlowSpec     OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX        SnmpAdminString

    MAX-ACCESS read-only

    STATUS        current

    DESCRIPTION

        "Contains the list of the flowspec parameters ("b,m,M")
supported by the CODEC separated by semicolon. 

         E.g: 120;200;280"

    REFERENCE

        "PacketCable Audio/Video Codecs Specification"

::= { pktcSigDevCodecEntry 8 }

2 -  Removing pktcSigDevCodecMax

3 - Changing the description clause of pktcSigDevCodecType to read:

        "A codec type supported by MTA. For all 'non-standard' CODEC
types

        which are not included into PacketCable Audio/Video Codecs
Specification

        the value of the Object must be other (1)."

Rick Vetter 

Lemur Networks

732 380 9290