Subject: [ipcdn] FW: FW: Defvals for scalars?

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:58:12 +0200

FYI

Thanks,
Bert 

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: maandag 15 september 2003 13:05
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: FW: Defvals for scalars?

>>>>> Wijnen, Bert (Bert) writes:

Bert> ok, thanks, I'll go with it.

Bert> 2578 speaks of "scalar objects dynamically created by an agent"
Bert> - I'm not sure what means.

I remember quite some discussions around this topic that lead to this
wonderful sentence. In essence, the idea was that you can have a
DEFVAL for scalars that do not necessarily exist all the time and
which might come and go dynamically. You can of course take the
position that all (scalar) objects are somehow "dynamically created
by an agent" and in fact there is no real borderline.

Anyway, here are the technical facts as I see them:

- SMIv2 permits to have a DEFVAL clause so parsers should be able
  to accept/handle them.
- Code generating backends should expect and handle to DEFVALs
  for scalars.
- Implementations that only use DEFVAL hints for tables are fine
  to ignore any DEFVALs for scalars.
- From the pure MIB readers point of view, using DEFVAL to specify
  a default value should be fine (and actually more compact than
  a sentence in the DESCRIPTION clause.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn