Subject: [ipcdn] Issue#23 revision 1 Extra clarifications.

From: "Eduardo Cardona" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:47:42 -0600

All, 

Thanks to Dan Rice and Minnie Lu for the valuable input and suggestions

With today's discussions  about objects not proposed for modifications
in issue#23

Greg and I worked a proposal for clarifying the cloneFrom object ( Copy
from the pointed row to the temporarly entry explicitely ) and the
RowStatusObject to close vage interpretations of other status value, 

Attached is the updated file with issue#23

Let us know any comments

Regards

Greg, Eduardo

docsIfUpChannelStatus OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      RowStatus
        MAX-ACCESS  read-create
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
            "This object is generally intended to be used for the
             creation of a temporary upstream row for the purpose of 
             adjusting channel parameters of a permanent upstream
channel 
             row. 

             The following restrictions apply to this object:
             1) Entries with docsIfUpChannelStatus set to active(1) 
                are logically linked to a physical interface, 
                not temporarily created to clone parameters
             2) A status transition from active (1) to notInService(2) 
                or destroy (6) is not permitted.
                The Interface MIB [RFC2863] ifAdminStatus should be
                used to take an Upstream Channel offline.
             3) Temporary rows must be created using createAndWait(5).
             4) The only possible status change of a row created using
                createAndWait(5) (ie notInService(2) or notReady(3)) is 
                to destroy(6).
                These temporary rows must never be given the Status 
                active(1).

             A mandatory procedure for adjusting an specific row is:
             1) Create a temporary row through an SNMP SET using
                createAndWait(5). Use an ifIndex value outside the
                operational range of the system.
             2) Set the docsIfUpChannelCloneFrom field to the ifIndex
                value of the active row whose parameters require
                adjustment.
             3) Adjust the parameter values using the new
                temporary row. Ensure all parameters contain
                desired values before proceeding to step 4.
             4) Update the permanent row by setting object
                docsIfUpChannelUpdate to TRUE. This SET will fail if
                the adjusted parameters are not compatible with
                each other.
             5) Delete the temporary row through an SNMP SET using
                DELETE.
        ::= { docsIfUpstreamChannelEntry 18 }

docsIfUpChannelCloneFrom OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      InterfaceIndexOrZero
        MAX-ACCESS  read-create
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
            "Intended for use when a temporary upstream table row is
created 
             for the purpose of manipulating parameters for a permanent 
             upstream channel.  Refer to the descriptions of
             docsIfUpChannelStatus and docsIfUpChannelUpdate for details
of 
             this procedure.

             This object contains the ifIndex value of the 
             permanent upstream row whose parameters are to be adjusted.
Upon 
             setting this object, the values of
docsIfUpChannelFrequency, 
             docsIfUpChannelWidth, docsIfUpChannelModulationProfile, 
             docsIfUpChannelSlotSize,
docsIfUpChannelRangingBackoffStart, 
             docsIfUpChannelRangingBackoffEnd,
docsIfUpChannelTxBackoffStart, 
             docsIfUpChannelTxBackoffEnd,
docsIfUpChannelScdmaActiveCodes, 
             docsIfUpChannelScdmaCodesPerSlot,
docsIfUpChannelScdmaFrameSize, 
             docsIfUpChannelScdmaHoppingSeed, docsIfUpChannelType, and
             docsIfUpChannelPreEqEnable for this row are populated with
the 
             corresponding values from the row referenced by this
object.
             Seting this object to a non-existent or temporary upstream
will 
             return the error 'wrongValue'.

             This object must contain a value of zero for permanent 
             upstream rows."
        ::= { docsIfUpstreamChannelEntry 16 }