Subject: [ipcdn] ipcdn DOCSIS QoS mib and closure on IP TOS vs. DSCP open issue

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:24:34 -0700

Bert,

At the last IETF meeting, you asked that we provide a short write-up to
close the one open issue on the IPCDN DOCSIS QoS MIB draft09. Greg White
has put together the attached note integrating thoughts & comments from
the IPCDN QoS MIB co-authors - William Murwin & Patrick Michael, Matt
Schmitt, Rich and myself (thank you Greg).

I believe this write-up answers your request. 
It provides:
 - the list of MIB objects using TOS value in the QoS mib
   object name, the max-access (read-only), what the object is for and
whether it is used in the DOCSIS network only (between CM - CMTS) or
whether it would potentially get propagated in the backbone (to
understand whether this could break the PHB behavior in the backbone),
 - the range of TOS values these objects can have and how the mapping
with the six bits of DSCP can be achieved,
 - the justification to maintain TOS based on past & current DOCSIS
systems along with the limited applicability scope.

Let us know what the next steps are to advance the IPCDN QoS MIB. Upon
your review & recommendations, it is our intent to release an updated
draft10 which will be ready for publication.

Thanks,
Rich & Jean-Francois - ipcdn wg co-chairs