Subject: [ipcdn] Update to RFC2669

From: Shahram Esfahani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:56:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks,

In light of the recent virus/worm attacks on cable subscribers, has the
IETF considered updating RFC2669 to include rate-limiting?  Many MSOs
combated the network impacts of the virus/worm infections by configuring
ACLs on their CMTS.  However, the traffic characteristics of these
infected users reveled numerous ICMP echo requests being sent upstream --
in the magnitude of hundreds per second.  Having just a few infected users
in a MAC domain can put unnecessary stress on the CMTS to issue grants and
flood the domain with ARP requests.

A better solution to these CMTS-centric ACLs would be to rate-limit this
type of traffic on the cable modem.  Rate-limiting can also be applied to
other traffic besides ICMP.  For example, some MSOs have expressed
concerns about very aggressive IP stacks sending DHCP packets too
quickly causing server strain.

Your thoughts about this?

Thanks and regards,
Shahram

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn