Subject: [ipcdn] Re: Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - pktcSigDevToneTable (Issue4)

From: "David De Reu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:15:55 +0100

Dear all,

Concerning the power levels for different frequencies, one possible approach
would be to replace the pktcSigDevToneDbLevel value by four new values:
pktcSigDevToneFirstFrequencyDbLevel, pktcSigDevToneSecondFrequencyDbLevel,
pktcSigDevToneThirdFrequencyDbLevel and
pktcSigDevToneFourthFrequencyDbLevel.

Possible problem with this approach is: how are the power levels to be
interpreted when pktcSigDevToneFreqType is allFrequenciesModulated?

Speaking of which, can anyone please provide a usage example of
allFrequenciesModulated, since I could not find any myself (within the ETSI
specs at least - is it specific for the US)?

Thanks,

David

_____________________________________________________
David De Reu
tComLabs
Stapelplein 70/004 – 9000 Ghent – Belgium
Tel: +32 9 269 22 91 – Fax: +32 9 329 31 74
www.tComLabs.com
_____________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "David De Reu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:22:07 +0100

Status: closed.

Feedback from Motorola, which was supported by Broadcom, indicated that
I misinterpreted the specification:

> There is no need for any additional power objects for each frequency.
> The original comment submission is based on a misinterpretation of the
> specification. Here is how it works:
>
> The 300 001 specification states a RANGE of values for the frequency
> and power (i.e., x1=minimum level, x2=maximum level) that CPE
> (phones/fax/modems) should be able to accept as input from the various
> country/operator networks. The range explanation is in the text
> preceeding the Table 1.7.1 in 300 001. In reading an entry from the
> table, the frequency may be any value between f1 OR f2 but not both
> combined. For the power, the level will be in the RANGE that is stated
> regardless of the actual frequency being used. Thus, the single power
> level in the MIB is sufficient. This interpretation is further
> supported by supplement 2 to the ITU-T 181 specification which states:
> "f1//f2 in some exchanges frequency f1 is used and in others frequency
> f2 is used." Given the table 1.7.1 example for dial tone for Belgium,
> the correct interpretation is f1 (420 Hz would probably be 425 Hz +/-
> tolerance) or f2 (455 Hz would probably be 450 Hz +/- tolerance) at a
> SINGLE power level within the RANGE -20 dBm (p1) to -4 dBm (p2).

I fully agree with this, and apologize for any confusion I may have
caused.

Apart from this, I still have one question concerning the
pktcSigDevToneTable: can anyone please provide a usage example of
allFrequenciesModulated, since I could not find any myself (within the
ETSI specs at least - or is it specific for the US)? I am probably again
overlooking something.

Thanks,

David

_____________________________________________________
David De Reu
tComLabs
Stapelplein 70/004 - 9000 Ghent - Belgium
Tel: +32 9 269 22 91 - Fax: +32 9 329 31 74
www.tComLabs.com
_____________________________________________________