Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Re: Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Country Cod e (Issue 5)

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:50:02 -0500

David,

This might be a good approach -- I'll let others comment on the overall
proposal.

In the updated Printer MIB
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-15.txt>,
they were also concerned about country localization. Their corresponding MIB
object is:

prtLocalizationCountry OBJECT-TYPE
    -- Note: The size is fixed, was incorrectly 0..2 in RFC 1759.
    SYNTAX     OCTET STRING (SIZE(2))
    MAX-ACCESS read-only
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A two character country code from ISO 3166, a blank string
        (two space characters) shall indicate that the country is not
        defined.  Examples: US, GB, FR, DE, ..."
    ::= { prtLocalizationEntry 3 }

(Note that this MIB has already passed MIB doctor and IESG review; it is on
the RFC editor queue.)

The lesson is that we ought to define a fixed two octet syntax in the
proposed object, and we need to define a "default value", e.g. two space
characters.

We also need to define what happens if the MIB object is set to a country
code value that the MTA does not understand (i.e. because the MTA does not
support the parameters for that country, because the country does not have a
defined set of parameters, or because the "country" does not exist).

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
David De Reu
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 11:39 AM
To: IPCDN Mailing List
Subject: [ipcdn] Re: Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Country Code
(Issue 5)

Dear all,

There are a lot of country-dependent MIB objects in the current signaling
MIB definitions, e.g. the pktcSigDevToneTable. When an operator wants to
define the standard tones for his country, he has to add *a lot* of objects
to the config file. This is necessary, because there is no default value for
all these tones. And such a default value can not easily be defined, because
most values are actually country-dependent. Therefore, it would be useful to
have one single MIB object to tell the MTA to use a given set of default
values: the pktcCountryCode object.

The semantics of this object could be that an MTA "has to implement the
country-specific values" for the different tables and objects that are
country-dependent (which ones exactly can be designated later on). The MTA
would implement a default country code and, optionally, extra country codes.
The MIB definition would not impose any country codes that the MTA MUST
implement. However, for the purpose of certification testing, the exact
country codes and the exact definition of the values associated with these
codes, would be communicated to the MTA vendors participating in the
certification program.

For example, an MTA could implement the US country code as a default (with
US dial tone etc). A European operator wanting to deploy this MTA e.g. in
Belgium, would require the MTA to support the BE country code (thus using
the Belgian dial tone for example), which would probably be tested during
certification.

A proposed country code MIB object definition has been the following:

pktcCountryCode OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX     OCTET STRING (SIZE (1..2))
     MAX-ACCESS read-write
     STATUS     current
     DESCRIPTION
         "This object identifies the telephony configuration
          parameters specific to a particular country used to set
          default values for the following tables: TBD."
        ::= { pktc xxx }

The MAX-ACCESS can of course be changed so that the object can only be set
in the config file, and is read-only from then on - I see no problem with
that.

For the country *codes* themselves, the ISO 3166-1 list of country codes
(see
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/index.html) seems a
useful source. This list defines an internationally agreed upon and widely
used two-letter abbreviation for each country. I believe this provides the
exact granularity needed in the context of this object.

Thanks,

Kind regards,

David

_____________________________________________________
David De Reu
tComLabs
Stapelplein 70/004 - 9000 Ghent - Belgium
Tel: +32 9 269 22 91 - Fax: +32 9 329 31 74
www.tComLabs.com
_____________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Harrie Hazewinkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:17:06 +0100

> (Note that this MIB has already passed MIB doctor and IESG review; it  

Maybe it is already too late for the printer MIB, but it could be nice  
to
have the a generic TEXTUAL-CONVENTION and then all other MIB modules  
could
refer to it. It avoids defining the syntax all the time and the  
OBJECT-TYPE
using it can use the DESCRIPTION for what the significance of the value  
is.

IMHO, the above object lacks the description what the real meaning is.
Yes, it indicates a country code, but for what is it used?? Looking in  
the
Printer MIB one can get it from the context (of the entry).

Harrie