Subject: RE: [ipcdn] response to ETSI liaison

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:48:18 -0600

I received no comments on the proposed draft response provided on July 13 for wg review.
   I assume the text is ok and will send it to ETSI. 
 
Jean-Francois.
IPCDN co-chair

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jean-Francois Mule 
	Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 8:57 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: Bill Utlaut; Beacham Gordon-CGB005; David De Reu; Christie Poland; Richard Woundy @ Comcast; Thomas Anders; [email-masked]; Wim De Ketelaere; [email-masked]
	Subject: [ipcdn] Draft response to ETSI liaison for wg comments by 7/20

	  This note provides a draft response to the ETSI liaison statement. The ETSI liaison was sent to the ipcdn list on June 16. The wg response is based on previous contributions & email exchanges from many participants.

	  It is submitted for wg review & comments. We would like to send our response back to ETSI next week; please send any comments by July 20 11am Easter Time.

	Thanks to all of you who have contributed in the past months on these topics, 
	Jean-François 

	---
	To:  ETSI AT working group Digital
	Cc:  Simon Kang (UPC)
	     Wim De Ketelaere (tComLabs)
	     Gordon Beacham (Motorola BCS)
	     Bill Utlaut (CableLabs)
	
	RE:  ETSI liaison from ETSI AT-Digital, AT-D AT#9(2004)D_25
	
	  We would like to thank ETSI and Simon Kang of UPC, Rapporteur of the
	ETSI AT-D IPCablecom MIB requirements for your continued support of
	the work of the IETF IP over Cable Data Network (IPCDN) working group
	in creating one common set of MIBs standardized in IETF.
	  We have received the ETSI liaison statement dated from June 8 2004
	regarding the IPCablecom MIB requirements.
	  This note constitutes the IPCDN working group response. It first
	provides some information on the ipcdn schedule and timeline to
	publish the RFCs. It also documents the IPCDN working group consensus
	on the ETSI technical comments.
	
	Best regards,
	Rich Woundy and Jean-Francois Mule
	 IETF IPCDN co-chairs
	
	--- 1. Request for information about the ipcdn schedule for the
	---    approval of the ietf ipcdn packetcable mibs to published RFC
	---    status taking account of all ETSI comments as summarised in the
	---    liaison statement AT-D AT#9(2004)D_25
	
	As of July 2004, the 3 IPCDN wg Internet-Drafts in question are
	"work in progress" documents:
	   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-03,
	   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03,
	   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-03.
	The procedures for advancing IETF Internet-Drafts are described in
	BCP 9, RFC2026 (and some procedures are explained in RFC 3160).
	
	It is the intent of the IPCDN wg chairs to advance those
	Internet-Drafts to publication via a formal "publication request" to
	the IETF Operations and Management Area Directors and our Area Advisor
	for ipcdn, Bert Wijnen after the following conditions are met:
	   a) all the ETSI comments received in the liaison have been
	      addressed and integrated in revised drafts;
	Based on the information we have received from the authors and
	editors of those drafts, we believe that draft04 revisions will be
	submitted by July 19 and will appear on the IETF Internet-Draft
	repository by August 2004.
	
	   b) Working group last call is passed
	We will issue a 2-week Working Group Last Call notice once the draft04
	revisions are published.
	
	   c) Expert MIB doctor reviews are complete and revised drafts
	      published
	The assignment of MIB doctors will occur once the draft04s are released
	and a timeline for completion of MIB doctor reviews will be defined
	then. We expect that revised drafts addressing all the MIB doctor
	comments will be published in September 2004.
	
	Following the wg chair formal "publication request" to the Area
	Directors, the work of the working group is usually considered
	complete. As stated above, we expect to conclude our work on the IPCDN
	PacketCable/IPCablecom MIBs in September 2004.
	The standard IETF process will then follow its course with IESG Review
	and approval (including IETF Last Call) and, upon successful
	completion of the last call announcement, the final documents will be
	sent to the RFC Editors. A rough timeline for the final IETF steps is
	 difficult to predict and we will have a better estimate once the IETF
	Last Call is complete.

	--- 2. Response to ETSI technical recommendations
	We note that all the ETSI recommendations relate to one IPCDN
	Internet-Draft: ID: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03. We assume the
	other drafts have been reviewed by ETSI and meet your requirements.
	
	2.1) NCS service flow mechanism:
	The IPCDN working group is in agreement with the ETSI recommendation
	to delete the following 4 MIB objects from
	draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03:
	  pktcSigServiceClassNameUS,
	  pktcSigServiceClassNameDS,
	  pktcSigServiceClassNameMask, and
	  pktcSigNcsServiceFlowState.
	
	2.2) Ringing cadences:
	The IPCDN working group is in agreement with the ETSI recommendation
	to change the definition of the PktcRingCadence textual-convention and
	its use for every ring cadence defined in the MIB.
	Note that this topic had already been discussed on IPCDN in March 2004
	and that we had reached agreement to change the SYNTAX of the
	textual-convention.
	The ETSI liaison makes some additional editorial
	suggestions in the DESCRIPTION clause of the textual convention and we
	accept those comments.
	See ipcdn email references at:
	  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01119.html <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01119.html> 
	  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01122.html <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01122.html> 

	2.3) Value Ranges:
	We note that ETSI supports the IPCDN discussions to change the
	value range of the pktcSigDevToneDbLevel object to
	   pktcSigDevToneDbLevel    OBJECT-TYPE
	       SYNTAX       TenthdBm (-250..-30)
	The IPCDN wg has reached consensus on the above change and the new
	value range (-250..-30) will be reflected in the revised draft04.
	Note that the value range of some other MIB objects were also
	discussed on the IPCDN list and that some changes will be reflected in
	the upcoming draft04, for e.g., the range of pktcSigPulseSignalDbLevel
	is changed from (-250..152) to (-350...0).

	--- end of response to the ETSI liaison statement 

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn