Subject: [ipcdn] IETF IPCDN response to ETSI Liaison from ETSI AT-Digital re. packet Cable MIBs

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:28:18 -0600

--- 
From: IETF IPCDN Co-chairs
      Richard Woundy (Comcast)
      Jean-Francois Mule (CableLabs)

To:   Simon Kang (UPC), ETSI Rapporteur
      ETSI AT working group Digital
      Ted Laverack (ETSI)
      
Cc:   Wim De Ketelaere (tComLabs)
      Gordon Beacham (Motorola BCS)
      Bert Wijnen (Lucent), IETF Area Director
      Bill Utlaut, Ed Miller  (CableLabs)
      Christie Poland (CableLabs)

RE:   ETSI liaison from ETSI AT-Digital, AT-D AT#9(2004)D_25

  We would like to thank ETSI and Simon Kang of UPC, Rapporteur of the
ETSI AT-D IPCablecom MIB requirements for your continued support of
the work of the IETF IP over Cable Data Network (IPCDN) working group
in creating one common set of MIBs standardized in IETF.
  We have received the ETSI liaison statement dated from June 8 2004
regarding the IPCablecom MIB requirements.
  This note constitutes the IPCDN working group response. It first
provides some information on the ipcdn schedule and timeline to
publish the RFCs. It also documents the IPCDN working group consensus
on the ETSI technical comments.

Best regards,
Rich Woundy and Jean-Francois Mule
 IETF IPCDN co-chairs

--- 1. Request for information about the ipcdn schedule for the
---    approval of the ietf ipcdn packetcable mibs to published RFC
---    status taking account of all ETSI comments as summarised in the
---    liaison statement AT-D AT#9(2004)D_25

As of July 2004, the 3 IPCDN wg Internet-Drafts in question are
"work in progress" documents:
   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-04,
   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-05,
   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-03.
The procedures for advancing IETF Internet-Drafts are described in
BCP 9, RFC2026 (and some procedures are explained in RFC 3160).

It is the intent of the IPCDN wg chairs to advance those
Internet-Drafts to publication via a formal "publication request" to
the IETF Operations and Management Area Directors and our Area Advisor
for ipcdn, Bert Wijnen after the following conditions are met:
   a) all the ETSI comments received in the liaison have been
      addressed and integrated in revised drafts;
Based on the information we have received from the authors and
editors of those drafts, we believe that the MTA MIB draft04 and MTA
Signaling MIB draft05 revisions address all the ETSI comments.

   b) Working group last call is passed
We have issued a Working Group Last Call notice on July 21st 2004 for
the MTA MIB draft04 and MTA Signaling MIB draft05.

   c) Expert MIB doctor reviews are complete and revised drafts
      published
The assignment of MIB doctors will occur now that the revised drafts
are published. A timeline for completion of MIB doctor reviews will be
defined. We expect that revised drafts addressing all the MIB doctor
comments will be published in September 2004.

Following the wg chair formal "publication request" to the Area
Directors, the work of the working group is usually considered
complete. As stated above, we expect to conclude our work on the IPCDN
PacketCable/IPCablecom MIBs in September 2004.
The standard IETF process will then follow its course with IESG Review
and approval (including IETF Last Call) and, upon successful
completion of the last call announcement, the final documents will be
sent to the RFC Editors. A rough timeline for the final IETF steps is
 difficult to predict and we will have a better estimate once the IETF
Last Call is complete.

--- 2. Response to ETSI technical recommendations
We note that all the ETSI recommendations relate to one IPCDN
Internet-Draft: ID: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03. We assume the
other drafts have been reviewed by ETSI and meet your requirements.

2.1) NCS service flow mechanism:
The IPCDN working group is in agreement with the ETSI recommendation
to delete the following 4 MIB objects from
draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03:
  pktcSigServiceClassNameUS,
  pktcSigServiceClassNameDS,
  pktcSigServiceClassNameMask, and
  pktcSigNcsServiceFlowState.

2.2) Ringing cadences: 
The IPCDN working group is in agreement with the ETSI recommendation
to change the definition of the PktcRingCadence textual-convention and
its use for every ring cadence defined in the MIB.
Note that this topic had already been discussed on IPCDN in March 2004
and that we had reached agreement to change the SYNTAX of the
textual-convention.
The ETSI liaison makes some additional editorial
suggestions in the DESCRIPTION clause of the textual convention and we
accept those comments.
See ipcdn email references at:
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01119.html
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01122.html

2.3) Value Ranges:
We note that ETSI supports the IPCDN discussions to change the
value range of the pktcSigDevToneDbLevel object to
   pktcSigDevToneDbLevel    OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       TenthdBm (-250..-30)
The IPCDN wg has reached consensus on the above change and the new
value range (-250..-30) will be reflected in the revised draft04.
Note that the value range of some other MIB objects were also
discussed on the IPCDN list and that some changes will be reflected in
the upcoming draft04, for e.g., the range of pktcSigPulseSignalDbLevel
is changed from (-250..152) to (-350...0).

The above comments 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 have been addressed in
draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-05.

--- end of note

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Laverack [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 7:52 AM
To: Richard Woundy @ Comcast
Cc: Jean-Francois Mule; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; Ian Marshall_Internet; ATsupport
Subject: Liaison from ETSI AT-Digital re. packet Cable MIBs

Dear Richard,

I enclose an approved  liaison from ETSI AT-Digital for distribution to
the IETF ipcdn working group for information and response.

Kind regards,

Ted Laverack 
Fixed Network Competence Centre (FCC)
Technical Officer for  ETSI AT, HF, SAGE and OCG Security 
Secretary for BB Cablecoms
Tel:    +33 (0)492 944273 
Fax:   +33 (0)493 654716 
Mobile: 0672285266 
mailto:[email-masked]  << File: 09D25r1 Liaison Statement ETSI
WG-D to IETF ipcdn.doc >> 
_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn