Subject: [ipcdn] Draft response to ETSI liaison for wg comments by 7/20

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:56:55 -0600

This note provides a draft response to the ETSI liaison statement. The ETSI liaison was sent to the ipcdn list on June 16. The wg response is based on previous contributions & email exchanges from many participants.

  It is submitted for wg review & comments. We would like to send our response back to ETSI next week; please send any comments by July 20 11am Easter Time.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed in the past months on these topics,
Jean-François 

--- 
To:  ETSI AT working group Digital
Cc:  Simon Kang (UPC)
     Wim De Ketelaere (tComLabs)
     Gordon Beacham (Motorola BCS)
     Bill Utlaut (CableLabs)

RE:  ETSI liaison from ETSI AT-Digital, AT-D AT#9(2004)D_25

  We would like to thank ETSI and Simon Kang of UPC, Rapporteur of the
ETSI AT-D IPCablecom MIB requirements for your continued support of
the work of the IETF IP over Cable Data Network (IPCDN) working group
in creating one common set of MIBs standardized in IETF.
  We have received the ETSI liaison statement dated from June 8 2004
regarding the IPCablecom MIB requirements.
  This note constitutes the IPCDN working group response. It first
provides some information on the ipcdn schedule and timeline to
publish the RFCs. It also documents the IPCDN working group consensus
on the ETSI technical comments.

Best regards,
Rich Woundy and Jean-Francois Mule
 IETF IPCDN co-chairs

--- 1. Request for information about the ipcdn schedule for the
---    approval of the ietf ipcdn packetcable mibs to published RFC
---    status taking account of all ETSI comments as summarised in the
---    liaison statement AT-D AT#9(2004)D_25

As of July 2004, the 3 IPCDN wg Internet-Drafts in question are
"work in progress" documents:
   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-03,
   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03,
   draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-03.
The procedures for advancing IETF Internet-Drafts are described in
BCP 9, RFC2026 (and some procedures are explained in RFC 3160).

It is the intent of the IPCDN wg chairs to advance those
Internet-Drafts to publication via a formal "publication request" to
the IETF Operations and Management Area Directors and our Area Advisor
for ipcdn, Bert Wijnen after the following conditions are met:
   a) all the ETSI comments received in the liaison have been
      addressed and integrated in revised drafts;
Based on the information we have received from the authors and
editors of those drafts, we believe that draft04 revisions will be
submitted by July 19 and will appear on the IETF Internet-Draft
repository by August 2004.

   b) Working group last call is passed
We will issue a 2-week Working Group Last Call notice once the draft04
revisions are published.

   c) Expert MIB doctor reviews are complete and revised drafts
      published
The assignment of MIB doctors will occur once the draft04s are released
and a timeline for completion of MIB doctor reviews will be defined
then. We expect that revised drafts addressing all the MIB doctor
comments will be published in September 2004.

Following the wg chair formal "publication request" to the Area
Directors, the work of the working group is usually considered
complete. As stated above, we expect to conclude our work on the IPCDN
PacketCable/IPCablecom MIBs in September 2004.
The standard IETF process will then follow its course with IESG Review
and approval (including IETF Last Call) and, upon successful
completion of the last call announcement, the final documents will be
sent to the RFC Editors. A rough timeline for the final IETF steps is
 difficult to predict and we will have a better estimate once the IETF
Last Call is complete.

--- 2. Response to ETSI technical recommendations
We note that all the ETSI recommendations relate to one IPCDN
Internet-Draft: ID: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03. We assume the
other drafts have been reviewed by ETSI and meet your requirements.

2.1) NCS service flow mechanism:
The IPCDN working group is in agreement with the ETSI recommendation
to delete the following 4 MIB objects from
draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-03:
  pktcSigServiceClassNameUS,
  pktcSigServiceClassNameDS,
  pktcSigServiceClassNameMask, and
  pktcSigNcsServiceFlowState.

2.2) Ringing cadences: 
The IPCDN working group is in agreement with the ETSI recommendation
to change the definition of the PktcRingCadence textual-convention and
its use for every ring cadence defined in the MIB.
Note that this topic had already been discussed on IPCDN in March 2004
and that we had reached agreement to change the SYNTAX of the
textual-convention.
The ETSI liaison makes some additional editorial
suggestions in the DESCRIPTION clause of the textual convention and we
accept those comments.
See ipcdn email references at:
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01119.html
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01122.html

2.3) Value Ranges:
We note that ETSI supports the IPCDN discussions to change the
value range of the pktcSigDevToneDbLevel object to
   pktcSigDevToneDbLevel    OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       TenthdBm (-250..-30)
The IPCDN wg has reached consensus on the above change and the new
value range (-250..-30) will be reflected in the revised draft04.
Note that the value range of some other MIB objects were also
discussed on the IPCDN list and that some changes will be reflected in
the upcoming draft04, for e.g., the range of pktcSigPulseSignalDbLevel
is changed from (-250..152) to (-350...0).

--- end of response to the ETSI liaison statement

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn