Subject: [ipcdn] RE: IETF NCS Sig MIB draft 6 -> Issue for pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount/pktcSigDevToneSteady when duration is shorter than TO

From: "Kumar, Satish" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:37:16 -0500

Hi Gordon,
 I agree with your proposed text.
 
Thanks, Satish

  _____  

From: Beacham Gordon-CGB005 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 4:34 PM
To: [email-masked]'; Kumar, Satish
Subject: RE: IETF NCS Sig MIB draft 6 -> Issue for
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount/pktcSigDevToneSteady when duration is
shorter than TO

Motorola's suggested text for the pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount and
pktcSigDevToneSteady objects to address this issue.
 
Gordon
 
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount      OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32 (0..5000)  
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
           "This is the repeat count, which signifies how many times 
            to repeat the entire on-off sequence. Setting this object 
            may result in a tone duration longer or shorter than the
overall 
            signal duration specified by the time out (TO) object for a 
            particular signal. If the repeat count results in a longer
tone duration than the signal duration specified by the TO, the tone
duration defined 
            by the TO object for a particular signal always represents 
            the overall signal duration for a tone.  In this case, the
tone duration repeat count will not be fully exercised and the desired
tone duration will be truncated per the TO setting.  If the repeat count
results in a shorter tone duration than the signal duration specified by
the TO, the tone duration defined by the repeat count takes precedence
over the TO and will end the signal event. In this case, the TO
represents a time not to be exceeded for the signal.   It is recommended
to ensure proper telephony signalling that the TO duration setting
should always be longer than the desired repeat count time duration." 
       ::={ pktcSigDevToneEntry 18 } 
 
pktcSigDevToneSteady    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       TruthValue  
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
           "This is the steady tone. Device must play out the on-off 
            sequence for pktcSigDevToneWholeRepeatCount times and 
            then apply the last tone forever. Setting this object 
            may result in a tone duration longer or shorter than the
overall 
            signal duration specified by the time out (TO) object for a 
            particular signal. If the repeat count results in a longer
tone duration than the signal duration specified by the TO, the tone
duration defined 
            by the TO object for a particular signal always represents 
            the overall signal duration for a tone. In this case, the
tone duration repeat count will not be fully exercised and the desired
tone duration will be truncated per the TO setting. If the repeat count
results in a shorter tone duration than the signal duration specified by
the TO, the tone duration defined by the repeat count takes precedence
over the TO and will end the signal event. In this case, the TO
represents a time not to be exceeded for the signal. It is recommended
to ensure proper telephony signalling that the TO duration setting
should always be longer than the desired repeat count time duration plus
the desired maximum steady tone period. "  
       ::={ pktcSigDevToneEntry 19 }   

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Beacham Gordon-CGB005 
	Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 3:05 PM
	To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
	Subject: IETF NCS Sig MIB draft 6 -> Issue for
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount/pktcSigDevToneSteady when duration is
shorter than TO

	Satish,
	 
	Thanks for raising this issue. The intent of the
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount and pktcSigDevToneSteady was to
support telco industry standards. If a tone definition using repeat
count objects results in a tone sequence that is shorter than the TO
time, the repeat count takes significance. I checked the NCS spec on
this issue and I don't see a clear indication of expected behaviour when
a tone duration is shorter than an associated TO.
	 
	Do you have text you would like to propose as a solution for the
description of these objects?
	 
	Comments?
	 
	Gordon
	 
	>The MIbs specify the case where longer duration is set. However
they do not specifically say what to do in the case >where setting the
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount results in a tone duration which is
shorter than the tone >duration which is specified through the timeout
(TO)???    
	 
	>What is the expected duration behavior in this case?? Does the
MTA has to observe the specified number of repeat counts?? or does it
stick to the value in timeout(TO) MIB?  Please throw some light on
expected behavior.

	pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount      OBJECT-TYPE  
	       SYNTAX       Unsigned32 (0..5000)  
	       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
	       STATUS       current  
	       DESCRIPTION  
	           "This is the repeat count, which signifies how many
times 
	            to repeat the entire on-off sequence. Setting this
object 
	            may result in a tone duration longer than the
overall 
	            signal duration specified by the time out (TO)
object for a 
	            particular signal. In this case, the tone duration
defined 
	            by the TO object for a particular signal always
represents 
	            the overall signal duration for a tone." 
	       ::={ pktcSigDevToneEntry 18 }  

	   pktcSigDevToneSteady    OBJECT-TYPE  
	       SYNTAX       TruthValue  
	       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
	       STATUS       current  
	       DESCRIPTION  
	           "This is the steady tone. Device must play out the
on-off 
	            sequence for pktcSigDevToneWholeRepeatCount times
and 
	            then apply the last tone forever. Setting this
object 
	            may result in a tone duration longer than the
overall 
	            signal duration specified by the time out (TO)
object for a 
	            particular signal. In this case, the tone duration
defined 
	            by the TO object for a particular signal always
represents 
	            the overall signal duration for a tone."  
	       ::={ pktcSigDevToneEntry 19 }  

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn