Subject: [ipcdn] subscriber mib issue

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:25:35 +0200

IESG raised this one:

   Allison Mankin:
   Discuss:
   [2004-09-26] The document states:
     Effective network filtering of TCP traffic requires that implementors
     MUST follow the recommendations in section 3.2.6.
   But there is no section 3.2.6 here.  MUST must be clear.

Ooopss. I should have seen that.
Not even sure we can just replace that with a single ptr to one other
(sub)section, can we. ANyway, would be good to have a response ASAP.

Bert

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:38:17 -0400

Bert,

I am pretty sure that this reference is supposed to be to the section
entitled "Filtering and the Tiny Fragment Attack". For version -15,
"Filtering and the Tiny Fragment Attack" is section 3.4.

The original text in the drafts, prior to updates in version -15, is:

   The filtering mechanism defined here can be defeated through the
   "tiny fragment" and "overlapping fragment" attacks if the
   recommendations in section 2.2.6 are omitted. See [RFC1858] and
   [RFC3128] for discussion of these attacks.

Version -06 of the draft points to the section entitled "Filtering and the
Tiny Fragment Attack",
<http://www.ipcdn.org/drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-06.txt>. In
versions -07 to -14, this text points to section 2.2.6, but that section no
longer exists. In version -15, the revised text points to section 3.2.6, but
that section also does not exist.

Note that the wording in the original text, "See [RFC1858] and [RFC3128] for
discussion of these attacks", is a direct reference to the contents of the
"Filtering and the Tiny Fragment Attack" section.

Wilson, can you confirm?

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Wijnen, Bert (Bert)
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 8:26 AM
To: Ipcdn (E-mail)
Subject: [ipcdn] subscriber mib issue

IESG raised this one:

   Allison Mankin:
   Discuss:

Bert

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:23:37 +0000

oops. yes, thanks - the sections were renumbered and I thought I'd checked this, but obviously not. It should be 3.4, as Rich notes.
- Wilson

-------------- Original message -------------- 

> . In

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:46:08 +0200

OK thanks. More later today.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 19:24
To: Woundy, Richard; 'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'
Cc: Ipcdn (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] subscriber mib issue

- Wilson

-------------- Original message -------------- 

> versions -07 to -14, this ! text points to section 2.2.6, but that section no 
> Effective network filtering of TCP traffic requires that implemento! rs