Subject: [ipcdn] Outstanding issue with docsDevFilterIpSourcePortLow and similar M IB objects

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:21:01 -0800

Hi,
 
We have noticed a discrepancy between the implementation of
docsDevFilterIpSourcePortLow between different modems. The difference
probably comes from that fact that what makes sense and what the
specification says are different. The spec says:
 
docsDevFilterIpSourcePortLow :
    If docsDevFilterIpProtocol is udp or tcp, this is the
    inclusive lower bound of the transport-layer source port
    range that is to be matched, otherwise it is ignored
    during matching.
 
However, docsDevFilterIpProtocol can also be set to any (256), which is not
listed above. This means that compliant CMs, should ignore
docsDevFilterIpSourcePortLow when the Protocol is set to any. However, this
does not seem to make much sense, as such interpretation makes the "any"
value pretty much useless.
 
Long time ago, this issue was brought up on the IPCDN reflector by other
people. However, it seems it has never been resolved.
 
I would like to propose an ECR to section 7.3.5 of the OSSI spec to clarify
that docsDevFilterIpSourcePortLow and similar MIBs are also applicable when
docsDevFilterIpProtocol is set to any (256) and the IP packet is either tcp
or udp.
 
Would there be an objection to this?
 
Thanks,
André
 
NOTICE: This communication contains information which may be proprietary,
privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the intended recipient), or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not print, copy,retransmit,
disseminate, disclose or otherwise use the information. Also, please
indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in error
and delete the copy you received. Thank you.
_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn