Subject: [ipcdn] ifspeed definition in rfimibv2-12

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:04:40 -0800

Hi -

Current definition in rfimibv2-12 draft:

   ifSpeed           Return the maximum channel throughput (not payload
                     throughput) supported by the interface.
                     The maximum throughput is calculated for the case
                     where upstream channels are configured to maximize
                     interface throughput.

In RFC 2670 the definition reads:

   ifSpeed           Return the speed of this upstream channel.
                     The returned value is the raw bandwidth
                     in bits/s of this interface, regarding the
                     highest speed modulation profile that is
                     defined. This is the symbol rate multiplied
                     with the number of bits per symbol for this
                     modulation profile.

Is this a clarification or a technical change?  If the latter, is it due to evolving
technology or operational experience? (I'm just trying to understand.)

Randy

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Eduardo Cardona" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:15:59 -0700

It is basically a evolution of the interface

In RFC 2670 and Upstream channel (ifType 129) for Cable Modem Terminal
System (CMTS) and Cable modem (CM) measure the raw data

RFIv2.0 defines sub-interfaces (ifType =205) (logical channels )below
the Upstream channel (ifType 129) for the CMTS only 

CM in RFIv2.0 still uses one US interface (ifType 129) and can select
one of the various logical channels (ifType 205) bundled in the CMTS
Upstream Interface (ifType 129  )

The new definition tries to cover the maximum throughput for ifType 129
in terms of the bonding of logical channels (ifType 205)  in the CMTS.

Let me know if is clear

Eduardo

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 1:05 PM
To: Ipcdn (E-mail)
Subject: [ipcdn] ifspeed definition in rfimibv2-12

Hi -

Is this a clarification or a technical change?  If the latter, is it due
to evolving technology or operational experience? (I'm just trying to
understand.)

Randy