Subject: [ipcdn] Feedback: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-09

From: "Sumanth Channabasappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:31:55 -0700

Folks,
 
I am sending across this email to solicit feedback on
"draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-09"
(ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-09.t
xt)
 
The comments I have received thus far include:
 
a) Proposal to modify the current draft to allow for DTMF to be used fo
VMWI (it currently assumes FSK)
<Details enclosed at the end of this email>
 
b) Preservation of contiguous numbering (editorial?)
Details can be found at:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01812.html
 
c) Offline comments on the need for distinction between CID v/s VMWI
(Phil, can you post more details on that)?
 
If resolutions to the above issues are agreed upon, I plan to propose a
new draft revision as early as next week.  
 
 regards
Sumanth

--------------- Usage of DTMF and FSK for VMWI  (source: Eugene
Nechamkin, via email)
There are currently four CallerID signalling methods defined in Telco
specs. They are:
 
1. Class I with FSK
2. Class I with DTMF
3. VMWI with FSK
4. VMWI with DTMF
 
While the current draft-09 contains the means of defining the 1st two
(via "pktcSigDevCallerIdSigProtocol" MIB Object), it does not allow to
choose the protocol for VMWI. The draft always assumes that for VMWI,
it's always FSK method which is used.
 
We found that in some countries (e.g. Denmark) the #4 method is required
(as per "TDK-TS 900 301-5"). There are also other contries which require
VMWI with DTMF (Brazil, Sweden, Netherlands). Here is the quotation from
the document:
 
The MWI supplementary service enables the served user to receive an
indication when a message has been delivered to the user's mailbox. 

NOTE:         The MWI supplementary service can currently only be used
in conjunction with one of TDC Tele Danmark's public voice-mailbox
services.

The served user can receive a message waiting indication from the VMS in
two different ways:

a)       Deferred mode: when the MWI supplementary service is activated
and the served user makes an outgoing call attempt, the served user is
notified by means of announcement; and/or;

b)       Immediate mode: when the MWI supplementary service has been
activated, the served user is notified by means of DTMF based
signalling. The intention with this notification is to give the user's
terminal the opportunity to visually indicate to the user (e.g. by means
of an indication lamp) that a new message has been delivered to the VMS.

Assuming that everybody agrees that this is a deficiency of the current
draft-09, the following new MIB object is proposed to fix that:
 
pktcSigDevVmwiSigProtocol  OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       INTEGER { 
                            fsk  (1), 
                            dtmf (2) 
       } 
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
           "This object identifies the subscriber line protocol used 
            for signalling the Information on Visual Message Waiting
Indicator (VMWI). 
            Different countries define different VMWI signalling
protocols to 
            support VMWI service. Frequency shift keying (FSK) 
            is most commonly used. Dual tone multi-frequency (DTMF) 
            is an alternative." 
        DEFVAL { fsk } 
   ::= { pktcSigDevConfigObjects X }
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn