Subject: [ipcdn] Changes incorporated in draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-06.txt

From: "Sumanth Channabasappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:55:26 -0600

Folks,

This is to inform you all that 'draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-06.txt'
is now available
(http://www.ipcdn.org/drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-06.txt). 

The changes incorporated in this draft are enclosed in this email as an
FYI.

Regards
Sumanth

Note: Changes #1 and #7 are new. Remaining are mostly a repeat of the
changes suggested by Eugene in the email dated 3/29 to the IPCDN mailing
list. However, please verify all changes.

Change #1/8:
---------

- Removed the MIB Object 'pktcDevEvReportingLevel'

  Reasoning: This MIB Object affected other MIB Objects and

  the behavior when the affected MIB Objects and the MIB Object in 

  question were set in the same SNMP PDU resulted in complications.

  Further, attempts to handle such side-effects lead to non-trivial

  requirements that would make for a complex MIB Object.

  Given that the advantage of this MIB Object was to make it easy to 

  set values across 'Event Classes' and was not required for the 

  MIB to operate, this 'nice-to-have' MIB Object has been removed.

  Further, this changes the index of 'pktcDevEventClassReportTable'

  from 'pktcDevEventControl 6' to ' pktcDevEventControl 5'

Change #2/8: References

---------

Added the following new references:

- PacketCable(TM) Management Event Mechanism Specification

(PKT-SP-MEM1.5-I01-050128) - to be reffered to by the section 3 and some
MIB Objects

- J. Postel, "User Datagram Protocol", STD0006, RFC 768 - to be refered
to by section 3.6.

- C. Lonvick, "The BSD syslog Protocol", RFC 3164, August 2001 - to be
reffered to by some MIB Objects.

Updated the following references:

- [PKT-SP-PROV], [PKT-SP-MGCP], [PKT-SP-CODEC] to reflect current
documents

Change #3/8:

---------

Renamed the following MIB Objects to stay consistant in terminology with
RFC3164 ("BSD Syslog protocol"):

pktcDevEvReportingLevel -> pktcDevEvSeverityLevel

pktcDevEventClassReportLevel -> pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel

pktcDevEventDescrLevel -> pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel

Change #4/8:

---------

Introduced new textual convention: SeverityLevel

SeverityLevel - to simplify the syntax for pktcDevEvSeverityLevel,
pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel, and pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel 

SeverityLevel ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION

    STATUS       current

    DESCRIPTION

        "This textual convention represents the severity

        levels for the various events reported by the MTA.

        The levels are as described below:

            emergency(0) - A condition that makes the system 

                           unusable.

            alert(1)     - A service-affecting condition for which

                           immediate action must be taken.

            critical(2)  - A service-affecting critical condition.

            error(3)     - An error condition.

            warning(4)   - A warning condition.

            notice(5)    - A normal but significant condition.

            info(6)      - An informational message.

            debug(7)     - A debug message."

    SYNTAX      BITS {

                emergency(0),

                alert(1),

                critical(2),  

                error(3),  

                warning(4),  

                notice(5),

                info(6),

                debug(7) 

                }

Change #5/8:

---------

The DESCRIPTION and/or SYNTAX clause of certain MIB Objects were
updated, as listed below: 

pktcDevEvControl: DECSRIPTION clause has been modified to clarify the
behavior of the MTA when resetEventLogTable(0) bit is set. 

    DESCRIPTION  

            "This MIB object defines the actions related to the event 

            log configuration. 

            The MTA MUST take the appropriate action whenever 

            a bit is set to a value of '1'. 

            Setting the resetEventLogTable(0) bit to

            a value of '1'

            - deletes all entries in pktcDevEventLogTable,

            - resets the value of pktcDevEvLogIndex to '0'

            Setting resetEventDescrTable(1) to a value of '1'

            - resets the pktcDevEventDescrTable to the

            factory default values.

            Setting a control bit to a value of '0' MUST not

            result in any action. 

            Reading this MIB object MUST always return '00'.

            MTA MUST perform the same actions regardless of 

            persistentance (i.e. storage in non-volatile memory)."

pktcDevEventClassReportEntry - DECSRIPTION modified to require a
'generic' event class when a vendor does not support multiple event
classes:

    DESCRIPTION

            "An entry in this table MUST be created for each 

             event class defined by a vendor for the events

             described as part of 'pktcDevEventDescrTable'.

            If an MTA vendor does not define event classes,

            then MTA MUST create one entry for  the event 

            class 'generic'."

PktcDevEventClassReportEntry - modified to reflect the textual
conventions defined for: pktcDevEventClass and
pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel:

      PktcDevEventClassReportEntry::= SEQUENCE {

           pktcDevEventClass                SnmpAdminString,

           pktcDevEventReportStatus         TruthValue,

           pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel   SeverityLevel

      }  

pktcDevEventClass:

      - DESCRIPTION clause modified to clarify the usage:

    DESCRIPTION

        "This MIB Object contains the identifier 

         of an event class supported by the device.

         Vendors MAY define different event classes 

         (e.g. DHCP, SNMP, DEBUG) to group together 

         related events."

PktcDevEventDescrEntry  - modified to use new SYNTAX for two

objects: pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel and pktcDevEventDescrClass:

      PktcDevEventDescrEntry::= SEQUENCE {

          pktcDevEventDescrId              Unsigned32,

          pktcDevEventDescrEnterprise      Unsigned32,

          pktcDevEventDescrFacility        INTEGER,

          pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel   SeverityLevel,

          pktcDevEventDescrReporting       BITS,

          pktcDevEventDescrText            SnmpAdminString,

          pktcDevEventDescrClass           SnmpAdminString

          }  

pktcDevEventDescrClass:

      - MAX-ACCESS changed to "read-only" to avoid cross-reference
consistency complications with pktcDevEventClassReportTable.

pktcDevEventLogTable - the following added to the end of the DESCRIPTION
clause:

      "The contents of this table MAY persist in non-volatile memory."

pktcDevEvLogCorrelationId: 

      - the following clarification was added to the end of the  

        DECRIPTION clause:

           "Although a Correlation-ID, once generated after MTA

            reset, does not change until next MTA reset, the 

            value of this object will differ for the events 

            preserved across MTA resets in case of a persistent 

            pktcDevEventLogTable."

      - REFERENCE clause added:

    REFERENCE

            "PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 

            [PKT-SP-PROV]."

pktcDevEvLogAdditionalInfo - the following clarification was added to
the DESCRIPTION clause:

                             "If MTA cannot provide any additional 

            information for the particular event generated, it MUST 

            populate this MIB Object with a string of zero-length."

Change #6/8:

---------

Updated references, as indicated to the following MIB Objects;

> REFERENCE

            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

was added to:

pktcDevEvLogTime, pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel,
pktcDevEvSyslogAddress, pktcDevEvSyslogUdpPort, pktcDevEvSeverityLevel,
pktcDevEventDescrFacility, pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel

> REFERENCE

            "PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 

            [PKT-SP-PROV]."

added to:

pktcDevEvSyslogAddressType, pktcDevEvSyslogAddress, pktcDevEventDescrId

> REFERENCE

            "PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 

            [PKT-SP-PROV];

added to:

pktcDevEvSyslogAddress, pktcDevEventDescrId

> REFERENCE

            "PacketCable Management Event Mechanism Specification,

            [PKT-SP-MEM1.5];"

added to:

pktcDevEventDescrId 

Change #7/8: 

----------- 

The size of the index 'pktcDevEventClass' and the MIB Object
'pktcDevEventDescrClass' was increased to 1..100 to allow for 

descriptive event class names

Change #8/8: Misc. changes

---------

> Updated author's addresses

> Updated date/time

> Updated MIB details to align with the MTA and Sig drafts

> Removed 'NOT RECOMMENDED' from list of keywords

> Fixed non-ASCII characters present in the document

> Removed unused references ([RFC821], [RFC2026], [RFC1034], [RFC3550])

 

MIB compliation output from ' [email-masked]':

------------------------------------------------------

smilint -m -s -e -l 6 PKTC-IETF-EVENT-MIB

PKTC-IETF-EVENT-MIB:71: [2] {bad-identifier-case} `XXX' should start
with a lower case letter

PKTC-IETF-EVENT-MIB:71: [2] {object-identifier-not-prefix} Object
identifier element `XXX' name only allowed as first element

ID-nits output from http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht:

------------------------------------------------------------------

idnits 1.102 
 
tmp/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-06.txt:

  Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html:
    
    Checking conformance with RFC 3978/3979 boilerplate...
 
    the boilerplate looks good.
 
    No nits found.
 
  Checking nits according to
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt:
    Nothing found here (but these checks do not cover all of
    1id-guidelines.txt yet).
 
  Miscellaneous warnings:
    None.
 
  Experimental warnings:
    None.
 
    No nits found.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn