Subject: Advice for adding support for DOCSIS frames in compliant way

From: "Kevin Kimmich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:33:15 -0400

Hello,

We are defining a system which will carry DOCSIS frames over GSE. We would
like to extend the GSE/ULE specifications in a compliant way.

Does anyone have advice about how to proceed?

Thank you,

Kevin Kimmich

Senior Software Engineer

Efficient Channel Coding, Inc.

The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683.

---

From: Bernhard Collini-Nocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:39:51 +0100

Hello Kevin,

Kevin Kimmich schrieb:
> Hello,
> 
> We are defining a system which will carry DOCSIS frames over GSE. We
> would like to extend the GSE/ULE specifications in a compliant way.

maybe I am missing the point, but what would be the benefit of carrying
DOCSIS frames over GSE instead of sending the PDU via GSE only? I do see
only management/signalling reasons but did not catch its value yet.

> Does anyone have advice about how to proceed?

I see two fast tracks:
1. apply for an EtherType value that would allow to send DOCSIS frames
also over any "Ethernet" and bridge it accordingly over GSE (that could
provide some added value for the interconnection of DOCSIS-modem and
GSE-encapsulator but adds bridging overhead)
2. go for an (ULE/)GSE mandatory extension header I-D and have a
Extension Header (carrying DOCSIS frames) value being assigned therefor
(less overhead but also less and maby too little functionality)

> Kevin Kimmich

Regards,
Bernhard Collini-Nocker

> Efficient Channel Coding, Inc.

Ass.Prof.
University of Salzburg