Subject: [ipfix] No uint128 and double types in Info Model

From: Carsten Schmoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:17:18 +0200

Dear all,

I'd like to suggest for completeness to also include
unsigned int and double precision float types into the
info model draft. I have attached a suggested text for this.

Also I would like to change
   The type "macAddress" represents a string of 6 octets.
to
   The type "macAddress" represents a set of 6 octets.
to avoid confusion (MAC address is not a string)

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Carsten.

PS: what about 'signed' integer types, will they never be needed?

-- 
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory 
 theory and practice are the same but in practice they are not."

Dipl.Ing. Carsten Schmoll                Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS
[email-masked]      National Research Institute
Fraunhofer FOKUS / dept. METEOR          for Open Communication Systems
Tel: +49-30-3463-7136                    Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
Fax: +49-30-3463-8000                    D-10589 Berlin, Germany

3.1.3.  unsigned32

   The type "unsigned32" represents a non-negative integer value in the
   range of 0 to 4294967295.

3.1.4.  unsigned64

   The type "unsigned64" represents a non-negative integer value in the
   range of 0 to 18446744073709551615.

3.1.5.  unsigned128

   The type "unsigned128" represents a non-negative integer value in the
   range of 0 to two to the power of 128 less 1.

3.1.5.  float32

   The type "float32" corresponds to an IEEE single-precision 32-bit
   floating point type as defined in [IEEE.754.1985].

3.1.6.  float64

   The type "float64" corresponds to an IEEE double-precision 64-bit
   floating point type as defined in [IEEE.754.1985].

3.1.7.  boolean

   The type "boolean" represents a binary value.  The only allowed
   values are "true" and false.

3.1.8.  macAddress

   The type "macAddress" represents a set of 6 octets.

3.1.9.  octetArray

   The type "octetArray" represents a finite length set of octets.

3.1.10.  string

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:59:03 +0000

> info model draft. I have attached a suggested text for this.

I would be OK with including floats - they may be needed by
VSIE's and defining them now saves all sorts of problems
upstream

> to avoid confusion (MAC address is not a string)

Actually it should be something more precise such as

"An IEEE 802 MAC address as defined in IEEE.802-3.2002
represented in canonical form. An IEEE 802 MAC address
is 6 octets long."

> PS: what about 'signed' integer types, will they never be needed?

Yes.

- Stewart

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/