Subject: [ipfix-protocol] nit: IPFIX over TLS over SCTP

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:00:17 -0500

All,

Section 11 (page 47) of proto-19 makes a reference to using TLS over  
SCTP as a transport for IPFIX. However, there is no further  
information (as in TCP, sections 10.4.1.2, 10.4.2) on the interaction  
between TLS and SCTP, and no normative reference to RFC 3436, which  
defines the usage of TLS over SCTP.

Reference to TLS should be made in sections 10.2.4.1 (noting the  
requirement to use reliable bidirectional streams when using TLS as  
in 3436 section 7; and the requirement for the Metering Process to  
establish a TLS session across each stream as shown in 3436 section  
8.1), 10.2.4.2 (noting TLS session teardown on stream shutdown), and  
10.2.4.3 (again, noting unreliable and partially reliable streams are  
not available for TLS). Additional references may be necessary as  
well; I've just taken a first pass here for sake of feedback.

Additionally, RFC 3436 "Transport Layer Security over Stream Control  
Transmission Protocol" should be added to the protocol document's  
normative references.

Thoughts?

- Brian