Subject: [IPFIX] Template Withdrawal Message and TCP

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:05:13 +0200

Dear all,

While working on the implementation guidelines draft, Paul Aitken 
discovered the following problem: the protocol draft doesn't specify 
what to do for template withdrawal message when TCP is the transport 
protocol.

_What's currently in the draft:
_- section 10.2.4.4 "template management" in case of SCTP

    "When the transport protocol is SCTP the default Template Management
    described in Section 8 is used."

This points to "The Template Withdraw Message MUST be sent on the SCTP 
stream zero with full reliability." in section 8
- section 10.3.6 "template management" in case of UDP

    "Template Withdrawal Messages SHOULD NOT be sent over UDP."

- but there is not mention of the "template withdrawal message in the 
section 10.4.2.2 "template management" for TCP

_Proposed text to be added in section 10.4.2.2 "template management" for 
TCP__:_
"The Templates that are not used anymore SHOULD be deleted.  Before 
reusing a Template ID, the Template MUST be deleted.  In order to delete 
an allocated Template, the Template is withdrawn through the use of a 
Template Withdrawal Message over the TCP connection."

Any objections on this clarifying sentence?

Regards, Paul and Benoit.

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:08:36 +0200

Benoit Claise wrote:
[..]
> Any objections on this clarifying sentence?

Sounds fine and logical and was actually the thing I assumed would be 
the case ;)

Good catch Paul!

Greets,
  Jeroen

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:08:36 +0200

Benoit Claise wrote:
[..]

Good catch Paul!

Greets,
  Jeroen

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:41:22 +0200

Ok, change inserted.

Regards, Benoit.
> Benoit Claise wrote:
> [..]
>> _Proposed text to be added in section 10.4.2.2 "template management" 
>> for TCP__:_
>> reusing a Template ID, the Template MUST be deleted.  In order to 
>> delete an allocated Template, the Template is withdrawn through the 
>> use of a Template Withdrawal Message over the TCP connection."
>>

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:41:22 +0200

Ok, change inserted.

Regards, Benoit.