Subject: [IPFIX] Request for Home Address IE

From: "Schmoll, Carsten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:40:41 +0100

Dear editors of the IPFIPX Info model draft,
 
I hereby kindly request as an addition to the IPFIX Information model
to include two new IEs, namely "sourceIPv6HomeAddress" and
"destinationIPv6HomeAddress".
These are used within different extension headers in mobile IPv6.

Question on the procedure: 
If you agree to include them into the draft in the list of IEs, could
this addition then be done after the document comes back from IESG
review
at the same time the draft is updated to address the reviewers'
comments?

If so, then I suggest to use the following text for the draft for 
the two fields sourceIPv6HomeAddress and destinationIPv6HomeAddress:
(if otherwise then please let me know how we can proceed in that case)

5.4.x.  sourceIPv6HomeAddress

   Description:
      The IPv6 home address in the IPv6 destination options extension
      header of type 201 as is used with route optimization in mobile
IPv6.
   Abstract Data Type: ipv6Address
   Data Type Semantics: identifier
   ElementId: xxx
   Status: current
   Reference:
      See RFC 3775 for the definition of the Home Address field in an 
      IPv6 Destination Options extension header with an Option Type of
201.

5.4.y.  destinationIPv6HomeAddress

   Description:
      The IPv6 home address in the IPv6 routing extension header of
      type 2 as is used with route optimization in mobile IPv6.
   Abstract Data Type: ipv6Address
   Data Type Semantics: identifier
   ElementId: xxx
   Status: current
   Reference:
      See RFC 3775 for the definition of the Home Address field in an
      IPv6 Routing Extension header of Type 2. 

I was wondering whether one should also define a "Home-Version" of
sourceIPv6PrefixLength and  sourceIPv6Prefix. I think not, because:

multiple occurences of an IE in a template are allowed, so I could
export e.g.

sourceIPv6Address      (this would be the source IPv6 Care-of-Address
from the IPv6 header)
sourceIPv6PrefixLength (related to the CoA)
sourceIPv6Prefix       (related to the CoA)
sourceIPv6HomeAddress  (the new HoA element)
sourceIPv6PrefixLength (related to the HoA)
sourceIPv6Prefix       (related to the HoA)

What do you think (overall)?

Kind regards,
Carsten.

--
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory
theory and practice are the same but in practice they are not."

</>Dipl.Ing. Carsten Schmoll           Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS
[email-masked]         National Research Institute
Fraunhofer FOKUS / dept. ANTS       for Open Communication Systems
Tel: +49-30-3463-7136               Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
Fax: +49-30-3463-8000               D-10589 Berlin, Germany

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix