Subject: [IPFIX] date and time encoding in the IPFIX-PROTO

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:01:43 +0200

Dear all

In order to solve the last DISCUSS about leap seconds in [IPFIX-INFO], we had to slightly modify the date and time types in [IPFIX-PROTO].
The agreement with Dan Romascanu is that we should post the change to the mailing to see if someone objects.

Regards, Benoit.

OLD:

6.1.7   dateTimeSeconds

 The data type dateTimeseconds represents a time value in units of
 seconds normalised to the GMT timezone.  It MUST be encoded in a 32-
 bit integer containing the number of seconds since 0000 UTC Jan 1st
 1970.  The 32-bit integer allows the time encoding up to 136 years.

6.1.8   dateTimeMilliseconds

 The data type dateTimeMilliseconds represents a time value in units
 of milliseconds normalized to the GMT timezone.  It MUST be encoded
 in a 64-bit integer containing the number of milliseconds since 0000
 UTC Jan 1st 1970.

6.1.9   dateTimeMicroseconds

 The data type dateTimeMicroseconds represents a time value in units
 of microseconds normalized to the GMT timezone.  It MUST be encoded
 in a 64-bit integer according to the NTP format given in [RFC1305].

6.1.10  dateTimeNanoseconds

 The data type of dateTimeNanoseconds represents a time value in
 units of nanoseconds normalized to the GMT timezone.  It MUST be
 encoded in a 64-bit integer according to the NTP format given in
 [RFC1305].

NEW:

6.1.7   dateTimeSeconds

 The data type dateTimeseconds represents a time value in units of
 seconds.  It MUST be encoded as a  32-bit signed integer containing
 the number of seconds since 0000 UTC Jan 1st 1970 ignoring leap
 seconds.  This is the consistent with the UNIX definition of time.
 dateTimeSeconds wraps every 136 years with the next wrap due in 2038.

6.1.8   dateTimeMilliseconds

 The data type dateTimeMilliseconds represents a time value in units
 of milliseconds.  It MUST be encoded in a 64-bit signed integer
 containing the number of milliseconds since 0000 UTC Jan 1st 1970
 ignoring leap seconds. dateTimeMilliseconds will not wrap for
 approximately 300 million years.

6.1.9   dateTimeMicroseconds

 The data type dateTimeMicroseconds represents a time with
 approximately microsecond precision. It is encoded as an NTP
 64 bit timestamp [RFC1305], using the bits 0 to 9 of the fractional
 term. If the lower order bits 10-31 are valid they may be exported,
 or set to 0, otherwise they MUST be set to zero.

  0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                            Seconds                            |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |   Fraction        |                     0x0                   |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                         dateTimeMicroseconds

 The dateTimeMicroseconds epoch is 0000 UTC Jan 1st 1900, it
 excludes leap seconds and will wrap in 2036.

6.1.10  dateTimeNanoseconds

 The data type dateTimeNanoseconds represents a time with
 approximately nanosecond precision. It is encoded as an NTP
 64 bit timestamp [RFC1305], using the bits 0 to 29 of the fractional
 term. If the lower order bits 30-31 are valid they may be
 exported, or set to 0, otherwise they MUST be set to zero.

  0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                            Seconds                            |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |   Fraction                                                |0 0|
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                         dateTimeMicroseconds

 The dateTimeNanoseconds epoch is 0000 UTC Jan 1st 1900, it
 excludes leap seconds and will wrap in 2036.

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix