Subject: [IPFIX] Document Action: 'IPFIX Applicability' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:18:25 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPFIX Applicability '
   <draft-ietf-ipfix-as-12.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-as-12.txt

Technical Summary
 
    This document describes the applicability of the IP Flow 
    Information Export (IPFIX) protocol for a variety of 
    applications. It shows how applications can use IPFIX, describes 
    the relevant information elements (IEs) and shows opportunities 
    and limitations of the protocol. The document furthermore 
    describes relations of the IPFIX framework to other 
    architectures and frameworks. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
    The document has met strong consensus withing the IPFIX Working Group.

Protocol Quality
 
    The document was reviewed by the WG co-chairs, by representatives
from RMON, IPPM, AAA and secdir and for the IESG by Dan Romascanu.

Note to RFC Editor
 
RFC Editor, please make the following changes:

1. In Section 2.1

OLD:

    In order to realize usage-based accounting with IPFIX the flow 
    definition has to be chosen in accordance to the accounting 
    purpose.  

NEW: 

    In order to realize usage-based accounting with IPFIX the flow 
    definition has to be chosen in accordance to the accounting 
    purpose, such as trend analysis, capacity planning, auditing, or
    billing and cost allocation where some loss of data can be tolerated
   (see section 4.2).

2. In Section 2.1.1

OLD: 

    Let's suppose someone has a Service Level Agreement (SLA) in a 
    DiffServ network requiring accounting based on traffic volume. 

NEW: 

    Let's suppose someone needs to monitor the individual flows in a   
    DiffServ network in order to compare traffic amount trend with the
    terms outlined in a Service Level Agreement (SLA).

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix