Subject: [IPFIX] CFP: First ACM Workshop on Network Data Anonymization

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:58:21 -0400

Greetings,

Thought this might be of interest to many of you...

The First ACM Workshop on Network Data Anonymization will be held in  
conjunction with CCS'08 in Alexandria, Virginia, 31 October 2008. We'd  
like to invite anyone doing work in this area to submit to the  
workshop; the call for papers appears below.

Cheers,

Brian

CALL FOR PAPERS

-------------------------------------------
Network Data Anonymization (NDA) Workshop
An ACM CCS workshop

October 31, 2008
Alexandria, VA, USA

http://www.ics.forth.gr/~antonat/nda08.html
--------------------------------------------

Over the last decade, the network security community (and the Internet
measurement community in general) has suffered from two fundamental and
related problems: (1) a lack of "real" network data for research
studies and prototype testing, and (2) a lack of network data sharing
among organizations, which impedes cooperation in network defense; as
attacks typically cross organizational boundaries, effective
prevention requires defenders to look beyond their own perimeter in
cooperation with other organizations.

Anonymization techniques are crucial for the safe sharing of network
data. They are necessary to obscure certain identifying information
(e.g., IP addresses) in order to protect the privacy of end users and
the security of internal networks. While current network data
anonymization techniques are generally acknowledged to be useful, it
is difficult to ensure they are free from information leakage. Also,
anonymization involves fundamental tradeoffs between the protection of
user privacy and the utility of the resulting data, and these
tradeoffs need to be better understood.

This workshop seeks to focus on new and innovative solutions for
anonymizing network data that will ensure appropriate protection of
host identities, network configurations, and network security
practices within enterprise networks.

Topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:

- data sharing via anonymization
- privacy-preserving data mining
- data anonymization tools
- data anonymization policy creation/implementation
- data anonymization case studies/best practices
- streaming data anonymization
- anonymization issues specific to network data
- business services enabled by anonymization
- data protection laws relevant to data anonymization

Papers submitted documenting attacks on anonymized systems are
strongly encouraged to propose a corresponding protection solution.
While the focus of this workshop is on network data anonymization,
applications of anonymization to other data domains ( e.g., medical
data, homeland security, reputation systems, government records,
transportation etc.) are welcome if the authors include a statement of
relevance.

----------------
Important Dates:
----------------

Paper submissions due:   Sunday, May 25, 2008
Author notification:     Monday, July 7, 2008
Camera ready papers due: Sunday, August 10, 2008
Workshop at CCS '08:     Friday, October 31, 2008

---------------------
Organizing Committee:
---------------------

Bill Yurcik, University of Texas at Dallas (USA) [Program Chair]
Spiros Antonatos, ICS-FORTH (Greece)
Michele Bezzi, SAP Research (France)
Elisa Boschi, Hitachi Europe (Switzerland)
Brian Trammell, CERT/NetSA (USA)

----------------------------
Technical Program Committee:
----------------------------

Nikita Borisov, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA)
Matthias Bossardt, KPMG (Switzerland)
Nevil Brownlee, CAIDA/University of Auckland (New Zealand)
k claffy, CAIDA/University of California San Diego (USA)
Michael Collins, CERT/NetSA (USA)
Marco Cremonini, University of Milan (Italy)
Michalis Foukarakis, ICS-FORTH (Greece)
Carrie Gates, CA Labs (USA)
David Maltz, Microsoft (USA)
John McHugh, Dalhousie University (Canada)
Ruoming Pang, Google (USA)
Stefano Paraboschi, University of Bergamo (Italy)
Dave Plonka, University of Wisconsin at Madison (USA)
Carsten Schmoll, Fraunhofer FOKUS (Germany)
Tim Shimeall, CERT/NetSA (USA)
Panos Trimintzios, European Network and Information Security Agency  
(Greece)
_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix