Subject: [IPFIX] Document Action: 'Guidelines for IP Flow Information eXport (IPFIX) Testing' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 06:24:31 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Guidelines for IP Flow Information eXport (IPFIX) Testing '
   <draft-ietf-ipfix-testing-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-testing-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document presents a list of tests for implementers of IP Flow
   Information Export (IPFIX) compliant Exporting Processes and
   Collecting Processes.  This document specifies guidelines for a
   series of tests that can be run on the IPFIX Exporting Process and
   Collecting Process in order to probe the conformity and robustness of
   the IPFIX protocol implementations.  These tests cover all important
   functions, in order to gain a level of confidence in the IPFIX
   implementation.  Therefore they allow the implementer to perform
   interoperability or plug tests with other IPFIX Exporting Processes
   and Collecting Processes.

Working Group Summary

   The IPFIX Working Group is in consensus in favor of publcihing this  
   document. Like the 'IPFIX Implementation Guidelines' document, this   
   document draws on experience gained from IPFIX interopability events. 

   It will be useful to implementors who need to enusre that their IPFIX
   implementations really do work correctly.
 
Document Quality

   The document is based on experience gained at interoperability 
   events. It was extensively reviewed within the IPFIX Working Group, and

   in the PSAMP WG. Dan Romascanu reviewed the document as AD. Joel 
   Halpern reviewed for GenART and his extensive comments were used to 
   generate the final version of the document. 

Personnel

   Nevil Brownlee is the PROTO shepherd. Dan Romascanu is the shepherding

   AD. 

RFC Editor Note

RFC Editor, please make the following changes: 

1) add to section 1 (before 1.1) the following text:

NEW: 

     The tests can be executed in a testbed environment or on a live
     network.

     However, care should be taken regarding the "stress/load test"
     and the "temporary network disconnect", as they might impact
     other systems in the network. We recommend that these specific tests
     should be executed only in a testbed environment.

2)

In section 3.1.1

OLD: 

The transmitted data might be observed on-line with an appropriate
   packet sniffing tool, such as Wireshark (www.wireshark.org).  

NEW:

The transmitted data might be observed on-line with an appropriate
   packet sniffing tool.

3) in section 3.4.1: 

OLD:

   The tester must check and if necessary improve the software so that
   the Templates and the associated Data Records are correctly received
   and decoded by the Collecting Process.

NEW:
   The tester must check that
   the Templates and the associated Data Records are correctly received
   and decoded by the Collecting Process.

4) In Section 3.7.1: 

OLD

   The tester must configure consistent forward (A, AAAA) and reverse
   (PTR) DNS records for each host in the test on a DNS server used by
   the hosts for name resolution.

NEW

  The tester must configure consistent forward (A, AAAA)
  DNS records for each host in the test on a DNS server used by
  the hosts for name resolution. Note that  there is no need to
  configure reverse (PTR) DNS records for the hosts,  as no part
  of the protocol uses reverse lookups.

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix