Subject: [IPFIX] Netflow/IPFIX workshop: information and request for feedback

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:12:12 +0200

Hi,

the following Netflow/IPFIX workshop/meeting proposal was sent to the
Network Management Research Group (NMRG) mailing list on July 31st.  I
like to know whether there is support for such an event form the IPFIX
community. Please drop a note if you plan to contribute so that I can
gauge interest.

If you have questions concerning the scope and organization, please
contact Ramin Sadre. If the question is of general interest, please
keep the NMRG list on CC for now.

/js

----- Forwarded message from Ramin Sadre <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:37:12 +0200
From: Ramin Sadre <[email-masked]>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Netflow/IPFIX workshop: information and request for feedback

Dear list members,

(we apologize for multiple postings)

as already announced some days ago, the EMANICS network of excellence
is currently preparing the
  EMANICS Workshop on Netflow/IPFIX usage in network management
  http://www.simpleweb.org/netflow/
The worFrom [email-masked]  Wed Aug 20 00:12:15 2008
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:12:12 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPFIX] Netflow/IPFIX workshop: information and request for feedback
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

the following Netflow/IPFIX workshop/meeting proposal was sent to the
Network Management Research Group (NMRG) mailing list on July 31st.  I
like to know whether there is support for such an event form the IPFIX
community. Please drop a note if you plan to contribute so that I can
gauge interest.

If you have questions concerning the scope and organization, please
contact Ramin Sadre. If the question is of general interest, please
keep the NMRG list on CC for now.

/js

----- Forwarded message from Ramin Sadre <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:37:12 +0200
From: Ramin Sadre <[email-masked]>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Netflow/IPFIX workshop: information and request for feedback

Dear list members,

(we apologize for multiple postings)

as already announced some days ago, the EMANICS network of excellence
is currently preparing the
  EMANICS Workshop on Netflow/IPFIX usage in network management
  http://www.simpleweb.org/netflow/
The wkshop will take place October 30, at the LRZ Munich, Germany.

We would highly appreciate your feedback and, of course, your
participation. In addition, we kindly ask you to express your opinion
on making the workshop a joint Emanics&IRTF-NMRG event.

We want the workshop to be an opportunity for people to exchange and
discuss their experiences and ideas. To structure the discussions
the workshop will be organized into several discussion topics.
For each discussion topic, there will be short presentations (5-10 minutes)
introducing the topic, followed by a discussion round.

Currently, the following topics are planned:
   1.   "What technologies are available to analyze flow data?"
      Presentations:
          * Flow record query languages.
          * Using SQL databases for flow processing.
   2. "What can be expected from distributed analysis techniques?"
      Presentations:
          * A distributed architecture for IP flow analysis.
   3. "Should we have a standard format for the annotation of Netflow/IPFIX traces?"
      Presentations:
          * Labeling flow traces for intrusion detection evaluation.
   4. "For what kind of applications can Netflow/IPFIX be used?"
      Presentations:
          * Network anomaly characterization using flows.
          * Application level dependency discovery with flows.
          * Management of light paths in optical networks using flows.

The above list is still preliminary and we welcome your contributions
and suggestions.

Regards,
Ramin Sadre

-- 
!! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
!! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To unsubscribe or adjust
!! your settings, send a mail message to <[email-masked]>
!! or look at https://mail.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.

----- End forwarded message -----
_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

orkshop will take place October 30, at the LRZ Munich, Germany.

We would highly appreciate your feedback and, of course, your
participation. In addition, we kindly ask you to express your opinion
on making the workshop a joint Emanics&IRTF-NMRG event.

We want the workshop to be an opportunity for people to exchange and
discuss their experiences and ideas. To structure the discussions
the workshop will be organized into several discussion topics.
For each discussion topic, there will be short presentations (5-10 minutes)
introducing the topic, followed by a discussion round.

Currently, the following topics are planned:
   1.   "What technologies are available to analyze flow data?"
      Presentations:
          * Flow record query languages.
          * Using SQL databases for flow processing.
   2. "What can be expected from distributed analysis techniques?"
      Presentations:
          * A distributed architecture for IP flow analysis.
   3. "Should we have a standard format for the annotation of Netflow/IPFIX traces?"
      Presentations:
          * Labeling flow traces for intrusion detection evaluation.
   4. "For what kind of applications can Netflow/IPFIX be used?"
      Presentations:
          * Network anomaly characterization using flows.
          * Application level dependency discovery with flows.
          * Management of light paths in optical networks using flows.

The above list is still preliminary and we welcome your contributions
and suggestions.

Regards,
Ramin Sadre

-- 
!! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
!! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To unsubscribe or adjust
!! your settings, send a mail message to <[email-masked]>
!! or look at https://mail.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.

----- End forwarded message -----
_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:01:02 +0200

Hi Jürgen,

Thank you for the information. My group is interested in the event and
will participate (and possibly contribute) in the workshop.

Gerhard

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> as already announced some dayFrom [email-masked]  Wed Aug 20 02:00:06 2008
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:01:02 +0200
From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Netflow/IPFIX workshop: information and request for
	feedback
Sender: [email-masked]

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

Hi Jürgen,

Thank you for the information. My group is interested in the event and
will participate (and possibly contribute) in the workshop.

Gerhard

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> as already announced some days s ago, the EMANICS network of excellence
> The workshop will take place October 30, at the LRZ Munich, Germany.
> 

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Münz
Computer Networks and Internet
Wilhelm Schickard Institute for Computer Science
University of Tuebingen
Sand 13 (Room B309), D-72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Phone:  +49 7071 29-70534       Fax: +49 7071 29-5220
E-mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://net.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~muenz

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:44:06 +0900

Hi,

I am interested in the workshop. I have one question.

Does scope include the new feature of IPFIX/PSAMP?

I think that NetFlow usage is limited to anomaly traffic detection,
accounting system or traffic engineering. Definitely, they are main
scope of NetFlow/IPFIX. But, I believe that new features of IPFIX/PSAMP
can apply a passive measurement of network performance, and so on. I
feel that many network operators haven't recognized new feature of
IPFIX/PSAMP.

Although VoIP and IPTV services are expanding, it is troublesome to
introduce the passive measurement system as before. To cope with it and
accelerate an implementation of IPFIX/PSAMP, I hope that case studies
using IPFIX/PSAMP are considered more and more in several workshops and
communities. 

Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:12:12 +0200

> The above list is still preliminary and we welcome your contributions

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:44:06 +0900

Hi,

Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

---

---

From: Christoph Sommer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:43:59 +0200

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> Please drop a note if you plan to contribute so that I can
> gauge interest.

Sounds like a good opportunity to discuss some open issues, esp.
regarding hierachical flow aggregation! I just sent an E-Mail to arrange
for a timeslot.

Kind regards,

-- 
Christoph Sommer
Computer Networks and Communication Systems
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Phone: +49 9131 85-27993 / Fax: +49 9131 85-27409
http://www7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sommer/

---

From: Christoph Sommer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:43:59 +0200

Kind regards,

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:11:19 +0200

> Does scope include the new feature of IPFIX/PSAMP?

Ramin is the organizer of the workshop and he should provide an
authoritative answer. However, I would be surprised if he would rule
out discussion of new features or usage scenarios of IPFIX/PSAMP.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:11:19 +0200

/js

---

From: Ramin Sadre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:11:36 +0200

> out discussion of new features or usage scenarios of IPFIX/PSAMP.

Indeed, discussion of features/usage of IPFIX/PSAMP is welcome. In
this context, please note that we have recently added the topic
   "How do sampling and aggregation affect the volume and
    accuracy of data collection and analysis?"
to the list of topics. Please also see
   http://www.simpleweb.org/netflow/

Regards,
Ramin

---

From: Ramin Sadre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:11:36 +0200

Regards,
Ramin