Subject: [IPFIX] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 04:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Flow Information Export Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPFIX Mediation: Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : A. Kobayashi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2008-09-26

Flow-based measurement is currently a popular method for various
network monitoring usages.  The sharing of flow-based information
among orthogonal monitoring applications raises open issues in terms
of scalability, reliability and flexibility that IPFIX Mediation may
help resolve.  IPFIX Mediation reroutes, replicates, filters,
aggregates, correlates or modifies Flow Records or Packet Reports, or
changes a transport protocol.  This document describes the
applicability of IPFIX Mediation and the problems that IPFIX
Mediation might encounter.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:45:10 +0900

Dear all,

We have written up the draft of -01 version problem statement draft.
Added sub-sections are mainly written based on some suggestions from
Benoit. Please take a look at it, and send me your feedback.

Following are the changes from -00 version.
http://www3.plala.or.jp/akoba/wdiff-ps00-ps01-final.html

---
Changes from -00 draft

Abstract

- Improved some wording and consistency
Wrote the functionality of IPFIX Mediation, not Mediator device

Section 1 Introduction
- Improved some wording and consistency

Section 2 Terminology

- Related terms of RFC5101 and I-D.ietf-psamp-protocol were added.
- Term "IPFIX Mediation" was added. I focused more on the IPFIX
Mediation function compared to -00 version. I removed the component
model in IPFIX Mediators, I will write them in framework draft.
- Definition "Flow-Based Collector Selection" was added.
- Some wordings and consistencies were improved.

Section 3 Flow-Based Mediation: Applicability Examples

- Sub-section title "Inter-domain IPFIX Exporting" was changed to "IPFIX
Export Across Domains".
- Sub-section title "Flow Distribution to Specific Collectors" to
"Rerouting Flow Records/Packet Reports".
- Sub-section "IPFIX Export from Branch Office" was added.
- Sub-section "Correlation of Flow Records/Packet Reports Information"
was added.
- Sub-section "Aggregation and Harmonization of Metering Process
Rules" was deleted. Because it seems duplicate of section 4.2.1.
- Some wordings and consistencies were improved.

Section 4 Approaches to Scalability

- Sub-section title "Exporting Aggregated Flows from Original
Exporters" was changed to "Flow Aggregation on Original Exporters".
This part was improved to more simplified explanation.
- Sub-section title "Hierarchical Model of Flow Aggregation" was changed
to "Flow Aggregation on IPFIX Concentrator".
- Sub-section "Time Composition" was added.
- Sub-section "Space Composition" was added.
- Sub-section title "Flow-Based Collector Selection" was changed to
"Distributing Load among Collectors". It was improved to more simplified
explanation and deleted the overlap part of section 3.4.
- Sub-section "Information Elements and Flow Keys Selection" was deleted. 
Because it seems duplicate of section 4.2.1.

Section 5 Problems with using IPFIX Mediators

- Some wordings and consistencies were improved.

Section 6 Conclusion

- Some wordings and consistencies were improved.

Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:45:10 +0900

Dear all,

---
Changes from -00 draft

Abstract

Section 1 Introduction

Section 2 Terminology

Section 6 Conclusion

Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

---