Subject: [IPFIX] Protocol Action: 'Specification of the IPFIX File Format' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:01:41 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Specification of the IPFIX File Format '
   <draft-ietf-ipfix-file-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-file-05.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes a file format for the storage of flow data
based upon the IPFIX Protocol.  It proposes a set of requirements for
flat-file, binary flow data file formats, then specifies the IPFIX
File format to meet these requirements based upon IPFIX Messages.
This IPFIX File format is designed to facilitate interoperability and
reusability among a wide variety of flow storage, processing, and
analysis tools.

Working Group Summary

Work started on this document in 2006, and has gone through several
revisions in response to mailing list discussion.  Originally it 
included the material about 'exporting type information,' but the
WG split it out into a seperate RFC to make it more easily accessible
for other uses.  The WG has reached a clear consensus on this draft.

Document Quality

This document has been reviwed by Benoit Claise, Paul Aitken, Andrew
Johnson, and Gerhard Muenz, as well as by the WG chairs.  Vijay K. Gurbani
reviewed the document on behaf of GenART. It specifies a file format for
IPFIX data, making the point that this is simply another data transport
for IPFIX.  It does not make any changes to the IPFIX protocol.

Personnel

Nevil Brownlee is the Protocol Shepherd, Dan Romascanu is the shepherding
AD.

RFC Editor Note

Section 9.1:
OLD:
  eContentType         id-ct-anyContentType, --
(1.2.840.113549.1.9.16.1.0)
NEW:
  eContentType         id-data, -- (1.2.840.113549.1.7.1)

Section 9.1.4:
OLD:
   The EncapsulatedContentInfo structure contains a content type
   identifier.  Since a detached signature is being created, it does not
   encapsulate the Internet-Draft.  The fields of
   EncapsulatedContentInfo are as follows:

   eContentType  is an object identifier that uniquely specifies the
      content type.  The content type associated with the plain text
      file MUST be id-ct-anyContentType (1.2.840.113549.1.9.16.1.0).
NEW:
   The EncapsulatedContentInfo structure contains a content type
   identifier.  Since a detached signature is being created, it does not
   encapsulate the IPFIX File.  The fields of
   EncapsulatedContentInfo are as follows:

   eContentType  is an object identifier that uniquely specifies the
      content type.  The content type associated with IPFIX File
      MUST be id-data (1.2.840.113549.1.7.1).