Subject: [IPFIX] IPFIX re-chartering request

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:41:55 +0200

Dear Dan and Ron,

Three new work items for the IPFIX WG have been discussed at the
IPFIX session in Stockholm and on the IPFIX mailing list:

  - Export of Structured Data in IPFIX
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-claise-structured-data-in-ipfix
  - IP Flow Anonymisation Support
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boschi-ipfix-anon
  - Flow Selection Techniques
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peluso-flowselection-tech

There was consensus at the session as well as on the mailing list
to accept these items.

This is a request to add the items to the IPFIX charter.
At the same time, I would suggest removing items from the charter
that correspond to achieved milestones. Please find the full set
of suggested changes below.

Thank you,

    Juergen

remove completed items:
OLD:
   2. There is a need for storing measured flow information and for
   exchanging this information between different systems and
   organizations. The WG will develop a common IPFIX file format for
   storing flow data in order to facilitate interoperability and
   reusability among a wide variety of flow storage, processing, and
   analysis tools. It will be a flat-file format using binary encodings
   that are based on the IPFIX message format.

   3. When dealing with enterprise-specific information elements in IPFIX
   flow records, it often occurs that the receiver of the record does not
   know the definition of the information element. For processing such
   information elements it would be desirable for the receiver to know at
   least the data types of the enterprise-specific information elements.
   The WG will develop an extension to IPFIX that provides means for the
   encoding of IPFIX data type information within an IPFIX Message
   stream.

   4. Another requirement resulting from practical use of IPFIX is
   reporting IPFIX template records and corresponding data records within
   the same SCTP stream. The IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for this
   use case.

re-number existing items:
OLD:
   5. First applications of IPFIX at large operator networks showed the
NEW:
   2. First applications of IPFIX at large operator networks showed the

OLD:
   6. The PSAMP WG has developed a protocol for reporting
NEW:
   3. The PSAMP WG has developed a protocol for reporting

add new items:
NEW:
   4. Anonymization of flow information has been identified as a
   requirement for flow information export already in RFC 3917. However,
   technologies for flow anonymization are still a research issue and have
   so far not been considered to be mature enough for standardization.
   As one step in this direction, the IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for
   the implementation of anonymised data export and storage over IPFIX
   and define an information model for configuring and reporting
   anonymization applied at IPFIX devices.

   5. The IPFIX and PSAMP WGs have defined standards for selecting
   observed IP packets and collecting information in flow records.
   In order to reduce the amount of data to be processed, packet selection
   methods have been defined. Another method for reducing flow data is
   flow selection. The IPFIX WG will define methods for flow selection and
   provide an information model for configuring and reporting flow selection
   applied at IPFIX devices.

   6. Being designed for the export of flow records the IPFIX protocol
   provides very limited means for structuring information elements within
   IPFIX records. With the increasing number of IPFIX applications there is
   a need for exporting more complex information. The IPFIX WG will develop
   an extension of the IPFIX protocol that supports hierarchically
   structured data and lists (sequences) of Information Elements in data
   records.  

add new milestones:
NEW:
   Oct 2009   Submit initial draft on anonymization support
   Oct 2009   Submit initial draft on flow selection
   Oct 2009   Submit initial draft on structuring information elements
   Jun 2010   Submit anonymization support I-D to IESG for publication
              as Experimental RFC
   Jun 2010   Submit flow selection I-D to IESG for publication
              as Standards Track RFC
   Jun 2010   Submit structuring information elements I-D to IESG
              for publication as Standards Track RFC

update existing milestones:
OLD:
   Jul 2009   Submit Mediation Problem Statement I-D to IESG
              for publication as Informational RFC
   Sep 2009   Submit Configuration Data Model draft to IESG
              for publication as Standards track RFC
   Sep 2009   Submit Mediation Framework I-D to IESG
              for publication as Informational RFC
NEW:
   Oct 2009   Submit Mediation Problem Statement I-D to IESG
              for publication as Informational RFC
   Jan 2009   Submit Configuration Data Model draft to IESG
              for publication as Standards track RFC
   Jan 2009   Submit Mediation Framework I-D to IESG
              for publication as Informational RFC

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:15:19 +0200

Juergen,

These look fine to me. 

Can you please generate a new charter text will all these changes so
that I can distribute it for internal review by the IESG and IAB? 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Quittek [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 3:42 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); Ronald Bonica; [email-masked]
> Cc: IETF IPFIX Working Group
> Subject: IPFIX re-chartering request
> 
> Dear Dan and Ron,
> 
> Three new work items for the IPFIX WG have been discussed at 
> the IPFIX session in Stockholm and on the IPFIX mailing list:
> 
> There was consensus at the session as well as on the mailing 
> list to accept these items.
> 
> At the same time, I would suggest removing items from the 
> charter that correspond to achieved milestones. Please find 
> the full set of suggested changes below.
> 
> Thank you,
> 
>     Juergen
> 
> 
> remove completed items:
> OLD: