Subject: Re: [IPFIX] IPFIX re-chartering request

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:15:15 +0200

Hi Dan,

On 31.08.09 16:15  "Dan Romascanu" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Juergen,
> 
> These look fine to me.
> 
> Can you please generate a new charter text will all these changes so
> that I can distribute it for internal review by the IESG and IAB?

Please find the new charter text below.

Thanks,

    Juergen

IPFIX charter proposal
======================

IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)

Chair(s):

    * Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
    * Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):

    * Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
    * Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:

    * Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipfix

Description of Working Group:

The IPFIX working group has specified the Information Model (to
describe IP flows) and the IPFIX protocol (to transfer IP flow data
from IPFIX exporters to collectors). Several implementers have already
built applications using the IPFIX protocol. As a result of a series
of IPFIX interoperability testing events the WG has produced
guidelines for IPFIX implementation and testing as well as
recommendations for handling special cases such as bidirectional flow
reporting and reducing redundancy in flow records.

Practical experiences with IPFIX implementations exposed new
requirements for the IPFIX protocol that so far have not been
addressed by the WG. The major current goal of the WG is developing
solutions that meet the new requirements without modifying the core
IPFIX protocol specifications.

1. The IPFIX WG has developed a MIB module for monitoring IPFIX
implementations. Means for configuring these devices have not been
standardized yet. The WG will develop an XML-based configuration data
model that can be used for configuring IPFIX devices and for storing,
modifying and managing IPFIX configurations parameter sets. This work
will be performed in close collaboration with the NETCONF WG.

2. First applications of IPFIX at large operator networks showed the
need for mediation of flow information, for example, for aggregating
huge amounts of flow data and for anomymization of flow information.
The IPFIX WG will investigate this issue and produce a problem
statement and a framework for IPFIX flow mediation.

3. The PSAMP WG has developed a protocol for reporting
observed packets. The PSAMP protocol is an extension of
the IPFIX protocol. The IPFIX WG will develop a MIB module
for monitoring PSAMP implementations. The new MIB module
will be an extension of the IPFIX MIB module.

4. Anonymization of flow information has been identified as a
requirement for flow information export already in RFC 3917. However,
technologies for flow anonymization are still a research issue and have
so far not been considered to be mature enough for standardization.
As one step in this direction, the IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for
the implementation of anonymized data export and storage over IPFIX
and define an information model for configuring and reporting
anonymization applied at IPFIX devices.

5. The IPFIX and PSAMP WGs have defined standards for selecting
observed IP packets and collecting information in flow records.
In order to reduce the amount of data to be processed, packet selection
methods have been defined. Another method for reducing flow data is
flow selection. The IPFIX WG will define methods for flow selection and
provide an information model for configuring and reporting flow selection
applied at IPFIX devices.

6. Being designed for the export of flow records the IPFIX protocol
provides very limited means for structuring information elements within
IPFIX records. With the increasing number of IPFIX applications there is
a need for exporting more complex information. The IPFIX WG will develop
an extension of the IPFIX protocol that supports hierarchically
structured data and lists (sequences) of Information Elements in data
records.  

Goals and Milestones:

Oct 2009   Submit Mediation Problem Statement I-D to IESG
           for publication as Informational RFC
Oct 2009   Submit initial draft on anonymization support
Oct 2009   Submit initial draft on flow selection
Oct 2009   Submit initial draft on structuring information elements
Jan 2009   Submit Configuration Data Model draft to IESG
           for publication as Standards track RFC
Jan 2009   Submit Mediation Framework I-D to IESG
           for publication as Informational RFC
Jan 2010   Submit final version of PSAMP MIB module
Jun 2010   Submit anonymization support I-D to IESG
           for publication as Experimental RFC
Jun 2010   Submit flow selection I-D to IESG
           for publication as Standards Track RFC
Jun 2010   Submit structuring information elements I-D to IESG
           for publication as Standards Track RFC

---

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:04:33 +0200

Hi Dan,

Brian found two typos in the milestone section.
Two deadlines are in the past: "Jan 2009" should obviously be "Jan 2010".

Sorry,

    Juergen 

On 01.09.09 17:15  "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:12:21 +0200

Thanks. I will correct these on the version that will be sent for
external review. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Quittek [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:05 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); Ronald Bonica; [email-masked]
> Cc: IETF IPFIX Working Group
> Subject: Re: [IPFIX] IPFIX re-chartering request
> 
> Hi Dan,
> 
> > 3. The PSAMP WG has developed a protocol for reporting observed 
> > packets. The PSAMP protocol is an extension of the IPFIX 
> protocol. The 
> > IPFIX WG will develop a MIB module for monitoring PSAMP 
> > implementations. The new MIB module will be an extension of 
> the IPFIX 
> > MIB module.
> > 
> > technologies for flow anonymization are still a research issue and 
> > have so far not been considered to be mature enough for 
> standardization.
> > As one step in this direction, the IPFIX WG will develop guidelines 
> > for the implementation of anonymized data export and storage over 
> > IPFIX and define an information model for configuring and reporting 
> > In order to reduce the amount of data to be processed, packet 
> > selection methods have been defined. Another method for 
> reducing flow 
> > data is flow selection. The IPFIX WG will define methods for flow 
> > selection and provide an information model for configuring and 
> > reporting flow selection applied at IPFIX devices.
> > 
> > provides very limited means for structuring information elements 
> > within IPFIX records. With the increasing number of IPFIX 
> applications 
> > there is a need for exporting more complex information. The 
> IPFIX WG 
> > will develop an extension of the IPFIX protocol that supports 
> > hierarchically structured data and lists (sequences) of Information 
> > Elements in data records.
> > 
> > Goals and Milestones:
> >