Subject: [IPFIX] New draft about IPFIX for Wireless Sensors

From: Schmitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:54:39 +0100

Dear members,

as you can see on the working group site. A new draft called 
draft-schmitt-6lowapp-ipfix-ws-00.txt was added. This draft deals with 
IPFIX for Wireless Sensors. Zach Shelby motivated us to write an 
IETF-Draft about our work on applications above 6LoWPAN.

Abstract
In this draft we want to introduce an idea to develop a protocol for 
efficient data transmission for Wireless Sensors using the ideas of 
IPFIX. We will call this protocol IPFIX-WS.

Introduction
Today everyone calls for new approaches for data acquisition in 
real-time. Different challenging requirements must be solved, such as 
efficient collection of environmental data using Wireless Sensors and 
efficient data transmission due to hardware limitations. Constraints on 
size, energy consumption and price lead to very limited memory, 
computational and communications resources. The desire for sensor nodes 
to be operational for a long time without external intervention, such as 
exchange of the batteries, which are often the only source of energy, 
leads to additional restrictions in the usage of the resources. Some 
research is done to address the issue of the sole dependency on battery 
power, but for now it remains the prevalent source of energy for WSNs. 
The physical size of a sensor node is another limiting factor. The IRIS 
mote which is used in our setup has the dimensions of 58 x 32 x 7 mm, 
without the battery pack. Thus it does not leave much room for the micro 
controller, flash memory (128 kb) and RF transceiver, all of which are 
located on this board.
To satisfy those needs, standard protocols for efficient data 
transmission from common networks, such as the IP Flow Information 
Export (IPFIX) protocol, should be adapted to the equipment of Wireless 
Sensors. Another possibility is to reduce the data amount by 
implementing in-network data aggregation functionality. The most 
important thing is to develop these approaches while still providing 
interoperability between devices of different vendors.

Feel free to read the draft and make comments.

Regards,
Corinna Schmitt

-- 
Corinna Schmitt, Dipl.-Inf. (Bioinf.) 
Technische Universität München
Chair for Network Architectures and Services (I8) 
Boltzmannstr. 3 
85748 Garching b. München
Germany

Phone.: +49 (0)89 289 18005
Email: [email-masked]
http://www.net.in.tum.de/~schmitt/

---

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:36:33 +0100

Dear Corinna,

This is a draft I am waiting for for a long time already.
I think this opens a new wide application area for IPFIX.

Thanks,

    Juergen