Subject: [IPFIX] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipfix-anon-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Flow Information Export Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IP Flow Anonymisation Support
	Author(s)       : E. Boschi, B. Trammell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipfix-anon-03.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2010-04-22

This document describes anonymisation techniques for IP flow data and
the export of anonymised data using the IPFIX protocol.  It
categorizes common anonymisation schemes and defines the parameters
needed to describe them.  It provides guidelines for the
implementation of anonymised data export and storage over IPFIX, and
describes an information model and Options-based method for
anonymisation metadata export within the IPFIX protocol or storage in
IPFIX Files.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-anon-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:51:55 +0200

Greetings, all,

We've just posted -03 of the anonymisation draft; we believe this to satisfactorily address all comments received during WGLC, and as such, it's ready for the IESG.

Cheers,

Brian

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: April 22, 2010 5:45:01 PM GMT+02:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [IPFIX] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipfix-anon-03.txt
> 
> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: sujay gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:55:01 -0400

HI Brian,

A very dumb question,

Why don't we use any sort of encryption mechanism's to protect data?
Is it for compatibility reasons to the base protocol?

Thanks,
-Sujay

---

From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:27:57 -0700

Hi Sujay,

Are you asking this question with respect to anonymisation? If so,
anonymisation is not about transferring the data securely. It is about
hiding specifics but still provide data sufficient to arrive at the
result. For example, we could hide the ip addresses but provide L4
port details of the flows to find out most active dest ports.

Hope this helps. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
dharani

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:57:13 +0200

hi, Dharani, Sujay,

Yep, you're right. Encryption is only useful for data protection if the recipient of the data should have full access to it; we talk about the difference between anonymisation and encryption in the security considerations section. Anonymisation destroys some part of the information that is less useful for a specific analysis, preserving enough information that the analysis can proceed while protecting the identities of the participants in any given exchange. 

Cheers,

Brian