Subject: [IPFIX] FW: DISCUSS: draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:51:24 +0200

Editors and Chairs,

Please address the issue raised by Sean in his DISCUSS. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Sean Turner
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: DISCUSS: draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement 

Discuss:
#1) The SECDIR review pointed out that the trust model needs to be
explained.   Atsushi suggested that there were two scenarios and they
should probably go in the follow-on framework document.  If that is the
case, then a normative reference is needed to point from the trust model
text/section to that particular section in the framework document.
However, the -06 of draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-framework does not seem
to include this text.  Is it going to be included or is the trust model
going to be included in problem-statement?

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:33:55 +0900

Hi Dan, and Chairs,

The issues are being discussed in another mail.

I am wondering non-technical issue that problem statement 
needs normative reference to framework.

Regards,
Atsushi

On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:51:24 +0200
"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:43:55 +0200

> From: Atsushi Kobayashi [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> needs normative reference to framework.

Can you try to reformulate this, I cannot really understand what you
mean. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 01:35:30 +0900

Hi Dan, and all,

In IETF last call, the SECDIR review pointed out that the trust model
for mediator needs to be explained. At that time, I explained about my
thought included in framework draft.

In IESG review, Sean pointed out two comments; the current framework
draft is not enough explanation, the problem statement document needs
the normative reference to the framework draft.

With regard to framework document, thanks to Brian great suggestion, I
am preparing next version including trust model in security
consideration section. Please see the following sub-section 9.3.
http://www.nttv6.net/~akoba/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-framework-07-01.html#anchor24

With regard to including normative reference to framework, I have
one question. By definition, the goal of problem statement is to explain
the issues that should be resolved in a series of documents made
afterward, i.e., framework. It is starting point.
Thus, already the problem statement described the issues about the trust
model. In my opinion, it is enough as problem statement level.

Even so, normative reference is necessary?
Does it need to wait for framework draft?
If framework has normative reference to its protocol, does it need to
wait protocol draft moreover?

I would like to avoid long discussion about it, I will follow your and
IPFIX chairs' opinion.

Regards,
Atsushi

On Mon, 10 May 2010 09:43:55 +0200

---