Subject: [IPFIX] several problems on RFC 5102

From: "田红成" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:45:50 +0800

Dear Sir (Madam),

I would like to ask some questions about RFC 5102.
(1)I don't know whether there exist certain information elements to define the sampling methods, sampling parameters and filtering details for the metering process. If none, I am not sure how the collector knows the sampling methods, sampling parameters and filtering details of the metering process.
(2)I don't know how many bytes for dateTimeSeconds, dateTimeMilliseconds, dateTimeMicroseconds and dateTimeNanoseconds, respectively.
(3)I don't know whether IPFIX is applied to switches. 
Thank for your attention!

best ragards
 ------
Hongcheng Tian
Network Architecture Lab, Network Center,Tsinghua University
Mobile:   +86 13370195827
Add:       Room 1227B, Zijing Building 15, Tsinghua University, 100084 Beijing, China
Email:    [email-masked]

---

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:56:02 +0200

Hi,

??? wrote:
>> (1)I don't know whether there exist certain information elements to
>> define the sampling methods, sampling parameters and filtering details
>> for the metering process. If none, I am not sure how the collector
>> knows the sampling methods, sampling parameters and filtering details
>> of the metering process.

As I have already written in my last mail, you should read RFCs 5476 and
5477.

>> (2)I don't know how many bytes for dateTimeSeconds,
>> dateTimeMilliseconds, dateTimeMicroseconds and dateTimeNanoseconds,
>> respectively.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5101#section-6.1.7
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5101#section-6.2

>> (3)I don't know whether IPFIX is applied to switches. 

That is something you should ask the vendor of your choice.

Gerhard

>> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>