Subject: [IPFIX] Shepherd review of draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:48:23 +1300

Hi Lorenzo et al:

As part of writing a shepherd document I have to read your draft
carefully, and check it for ID-nits.  I've done that, and I find
quite a few things that need to be fixed, as follows:

s7, p15:  List of new IEs
   5102 clearly says that IE names start with a lower-case letter.
        Also, none of the existing IEs use an underscore character.
        How about using fsMeterUnmeasPacketCount, as per 5102?

s7, p14
    You say "Some elements have
      been associated with a pair of timestamps, which are referred to as
      Tfirst and Tlast (instead of element_nameTfirst, element_nameTlast).
    Does that mean that you both the TFirst and Tlast timestamps are
    also needed as IEs?    Or are they something that will only be used
    inside a meter or mediator?  You need to explain this here!

s7.1.1, p15
    Refers to TsFirst and TsLast - you should change Tfirst and Tlast 
above (I think TsFirst is easier to read).

s7.2.2  Why is ..PacketInDropped.. defined in terms of its two timestamps,
    but ..ByteInDropped.. is not?
    Similarly for other IEs in 7.2.x sections.

s9, p22:  remove [RFC 2051] (as above)

s9.1, p22:  In the table, don't use ID, that suggests its an ID for an
    Informations Element.  I think you mean Value.

Running ID-nits, using the [Nits] button at the top os
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-03

You should run this, and fix the little things it finds.

In particular, I see that there's no Security Considerations section.
Every RFC has to have such a section!  You need to add one, pointing
out what possible security weaknesses could be introduced by using
flow selection (or explaining that there aren't any obvious ones).

Most of these are quite trivial, so they won't take much fixing.
The ones that do need some real work are to explain how TsFirst/
TsFirst are intended to be used in the FlowSelect Info Model, and
to add a Security Considerations section.

I look forward to seeing your next version.

Cheers, Nevil

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand