Subject: [IPFIX] FW: SecDir review of draft-ietf-ipfix-structured-data-05

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:35:41 +0100

Hi, 

See the SEC-DIR report on draft-ietf-ipfix-structured-data-05. 

Please address the issue raised in the report. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Yaron Sheffer
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:28 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: SecDir review of draft-ietf-ipfix-structured-data-05

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

IPFIX is a structured information model and protocol for transmitting
information about data flows. This document extends the model with
structured data, basically several types of lists.

I have not reviewed the document in full, rather I have looked at the
security aspects only. The Security Considerations refer the reader to
the IPFIX protocol and data model RFCs, and I mostly agree, with one
exception. I suggest to add text similar to the next paragraph:

The addition of complex data types necessarily complicates the
implementation of the Collector. This could easily result in new
security vulnerabilities (e.g., buffer overflows); this creates
additional risk in cases where either DTLS is not used, or if the
Observation Point and Collector belong to different trust domains.

Thanks,
	Yaron